• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do Many People Actually Compete in the Pokéathlon?

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Hey guys!

I'm just wondering do many people actually compete in the Pokéathlon?
Do you have team members who outshine everyone else's?
What medals have you won?
Do you have a favourite event?

Personally, I only play it if I'm looking to kill some time or want to play something non-story(?) related. I don't really have preferred team members but I do like the Stamina course and the power breaking event too! I don't win medals though - I'm not exactly good at them!

Let's open this up to discussion about all things Pokéathlon!

And mods, If such a thread has already been made, please forgive me and move this if appropriate to do so :)

Sirfetch’d

I think I tried it once? Maybe two times, but I just didn't find it that enjoyable and would rather be doing other things in the game, haha. It was a cool feature nonetheless for those who did like it.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I did and I still do actually. I never reset my games so I still play older files and I always play Pokeathlon in HeartGold to pass the time. I find it really fun and it's a great way to have a contest like thing in Johto. I'm actually still trying to get into the special room for winning all of the courses.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
I haven't tried it yet. Before I got my 3DS, the touch screens on the DS systems I did have were faulty. No amount of calibration would fix the alignment between where I tap and where it thinks I tap.

And despite having the 3DS now, I still haven't got around to doing it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I enjoy the Pokethlon, but I don't have set teams. I just pick the ones that are best at the one I'm entering, haha.

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
I did it a couple of times. Usually the strength contest because Scizor is beast in that.

Years
I did it for the trainer cards. Plus I thin Pokeathlon is a good minigame, at least in my opinion better than contests.

Years
Yeah. I like using the Pokeathlon. It's something that passes time. I also find it much better than that stupid dress-up stuff in Pokemon D/P/Pt. I like using Sunkern for some reason. I have no clue why! xD

Years
The Pokeathlon's one of the few things I almost always go back and try when I play HeartGold again. If memory serves me, the events that I'm the best at are the Speed courses, and I always have fun going through them with Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres. I also find it amusing that Diglett/Dugtrio always come last in the Hurdle Jump, since they're the only Pokemon that can't actually jump in the event (and end up hitting every single hurdle).

Years
Been saving it for my post game time since I have not played fully HG I have not really tried to compete in it. Although I do have visited it once when i was at Bug catching contest. The place and sight was cool and I will visit in future

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
The Pokeathlon's the one mini-game that I actually enjoyed (aside from the Bug Catching Contest.) I didn't plan out a specific team to win, I just picked whichever Pokemon in my party at the time I entered, had the best set of skills to tackle the mini-games. I've got to say, it's an A+ feature and is definitely worth dedicating some time into playing!

Last edited:

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I played it once to 'try' it out, I was hooked for hours on it, then I eventually continued the story line haha, I returned to it to obtain a Shiny Stone so I could evolve Togetic...
I found it really fun, but I haven't been bothered to collect the trophies and what not, perhaps when I return to playing Gen IV...

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I know initially I didn't like it, just wanted to crack on with the game. But then with my team of Feraligatr / Scizor / Steelix / Togekiss / Magmortar / Lanturn I absolutely destroyed. Got the speed ones whilst Scyther and Togetic were rapid for me, got the strength and stamina ones after they evolved, and the other ones some time in between.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
i play it if i need evo stones or something. or any types of items. its kind of repetitive and gets boring.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I played it once to 'try' it out, I was hooked for hours on it, then I eventually continued the story line haha, I returned to it to obtain a Shiny Stone so I could evolve Togetic...
I found it really fun, but I haven't been bothered to collect the trophies and what not, perhaps when I return to playing Gen IV...

I've never actually bothered to check if I could buy any Evo. Stones. That might be a good idea to come back to check, because I need a Shiny Stone.

I love the Power of Entei in the events.

Personally I'm not so fond of the Skill or Power courses because I'm not very good at them, especially the goal kick and Snowball throwing ones..... :/

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I'm just wondering do many people actually compete in the Pokéathlon? I do. Or did.

Do you have team members who outshine everyone else's? Gyarados, Typhlosion and Pupitar. They were the only members who actually competed and repeatedly won first place for the Strength competition and won me that much-needed Water Stone for my Staryu.

What medals have you won? The Strength competition, as I have mentioned above.

Do you have a favourite event? I did like the block-smashing event and the lamp jump event. Those were pretty fun and easy to win haha.

Hiresh

POKEMON LEGEND
Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2013
I only did pokeathlon if i needed Evolution stones or heart scale
it was pretty fun though

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Throughtout the entire game, I've competed in the Pokéathlon only twice. I feel like I should've competed more, but I don't know why I didn't. xD I usually had Typhlosion, Raichu, and Golbat on my team, because they were my strongest Pokémon at the time. My favorite events were Block Smash, Circle Push, Goal Roll, and Snow Throw. I haven't won any medals, but I was very close to winning one.

Back