The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacks Studio PokéCommunity ROM Hack Planning
Art Character Design

Planning Where all the hard work happens. Got an idea? You don't have to be part of the team to share it with us.

Old October 21st, 2016 (12:15 PM). Edited October 28th, 2016 by Nina.

I've seen designs and character work floating around in like three or four different threads, and some of the other team members not seeing already proposed character designs from the art thread, vice versa. So I'm making this.
  • Mostly Confirmed Designs
Protagonists -Nina
Spoiler:
Nina is still being stubborn about the colors.

Test OW design, not final.

• Artist Idea Designs
Rival -Nina
Spoiler:
Bookworm and proper jerk girl. Made before story considerations.

Fairy Type/Princess Gym Leader ? -Nina
Spoiler:

Out of touch with the native culture, probably in the bigger metro city in the middle island. Could easily just be a special trainer. Crown is obviously a bit much, but eh.

Water Gym Leader -Wobb
Spoiler:

• Requested Designs Needed
Father: Villain, genetically needs to be blonde. Reference idea

Fighting Gym Leader: obsessed with fighting games and their gym doubles as an arcade. Gender is flexible so it would be awesome to see ideas of them all! Their personality is bratty and dramatic. Their signature mon is Pancham.
Fighting Gym Leader -Wobb
Spoiler:

• Designs Needing Work
Mother Professor -Nina
Spoiler:
I designed this and it seemed liked, but now that the mother had been decided to be a native of the islands, it should be reworked.

Old October 22nd, 2016 (3:42 AM).

Nature: Sassy
blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde

Also there is some artwork for baddad in the story outline thread which was gotten some good reception and I think is awesome.
Old October 22nd, 2016 (4:01 AM).
Island Kahuna

Nature: Modest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
    blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde blue and blonde

Also there is some artwork for baddad in the story outline thread which was gotten some good reception and I think is awesome.
    Didn't a certain Nazi dictator only like people with blond hair and blue eyes?

Bad!Dad art is awesome. He also has blond hair (or light brown, can't tell) which makes sense. Also pink suit is just so badass.
    Old October 22nd, 2016 (5:03 AM).
    Master of the Elements

Nature: Naughty
    The art is based on my actual physical appearance and I've got dirty blonde hair so it's close. Bad!Dad isnt me though so lightening the hair shouldn't be a problem.
    Old October 22nd, 2016 (5:17 AM).

The reference idea for bad dad. Click on it. It's the image ya'll talkin about.

Blue and Blonde for the boy, he can look more like Dad, but if girl is also blonde who's gonna look like mooommm? To be clear when fixing the pallets, girl ended up with brown hair. I need to redo a thing with the current color/design I changed while doing the OW.
    Old October 22nd, 2016 (5:32 AM).
    Master of the Elements

Nature: Naughty
    Maybe they can have the mom's eye color but look like Dad otherwise?
    Old October 22nd, 2016 (10:39 AM).
    Island Kahuna

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Nina View Post
      The reference idea for bad dad. Click on it. It's the image ya'll talkin about.

Blue and Blonde for the boy, he can look more like Dad, but if girl is also blonde who's gonna look like mooommm? To be clear when fixing the pallets, girl ended up with brown hair. I need to redo a thing with the current color/design I changed while doing the OW.
      I personally think having the boy look like dad, same colour hair (maybe mom's eyes) and then have the girl look like mom in regards to hair/skin colour (natives probably darker skinned?) but have dad's eyes would work really well. They would look like their actual kids then rather than an ash-mom scenario where Ash looks nothing like his mom (in my opinion).
      Old October 22nd, 2016 (12:00 PM).
      Free supporter

You guys know that the boy and girl overworld by default, as well as the emoticons/surf head and others such share the same 16 color pal right? Just thought I'd point that out because the palettes are quite diverse. If you can fit the pals for both of them inside 11 colors we should be good to go though.
      Old October 24th, 2016 (6:03 AM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by FBI View Post
      You guys know that the boy and girl overworld by default, as well as the emoticons/surf head and others such share the same 16 color pal right? Just thought I'd point that out because the palettes are quite diverse. If you can fit the pals for both of them inside 11 colors we should be good to go though.
      Yeah I'd definitely prefer to keep them the same colour, even if just to make it uniform.
      Old October 24th, 2016 (1:02 PM).

Quote:
      Yeah I'd definitely prefer to keep them the same colour, even if just to make it uniform.
      ok brown haired boy in red clothes it is glad we cleared this up
      Old October 24th, 2016 (3:21 PM).

I like the way the blonde+blue looks. It's really nice honestly.
        Old October 25th, 2016 (7:11 AM).

This is the final version of the protagonists I will be posting. I'm not insisting on a distinct pallet because I think it looks "nice" to me, but because I've made clear design choices to reflect what looks appealing creatively and how the story takes place. If I won't be taken seriously I'll stop lending any more color work or advice.
        FYI I've posted it in multiple places multiple times that the test overworlds share a pallet under 16 colors including the white coloring used for the emotion bubbles. Pallet limitation isn't a problem.

Even if protagonists are supposed to be your silent player character, I feel like an implied personality should be shown. Especially as these characters will be your silbing/rival who takes on an important story role, they should be unique and not copy-pastes of each other.

Being siblings, (and given age assumed fraternal twins) but also having different ideals that cause your chosen sibling to side with your father, the protagonists look similar but distinct. They both have the a hair accessory, white undershirt, fingerless gloves, dark pants, and identical backbacks, but their color choices and style are direct opposites of each other. The female has an air of power and a more closed personality. Connected to the earth with warm and earthy tones, she is more serious. The male has a lighter and more open air. Light cool colors of the sky and sea, he's more playful.

Mom was made to be more native looking. Besides the darker skin, I decided instead of her sexy black dress, if she's trying to be taken seriously in her work she'd wear something more comfortable and approachable, as well as more island colors/motifs. (since her native research is important to her) For the Father, I felt that if it was just misunderstood ideals that were the cause of his problems, he should be charismatic but somewhat unkempt. Their colors are so you can associate with the protagonists. If you play the girl, you look more similar to your mother in your hair type and color, but share eyes and red clothes with your father. If you play the boy, you look more similar to the father in your hair type and color, but share eyes and blue clothes with the mother, with some yellow accents.
        Old October 25th, 2016 (8:14 AM).
        Island Kahuna

Quote:
          This is the final version of the protagonists I will be posting. I'm not insisting on a distinct pallet because I think it looks "nice" to me, but because I've made clear design choices to reflect what looks appealing creatively and how the story takes place. If I won't be taken seriously I'll stop lending any more color work or advice.
          I'm loving these designs and the way they all 'connect' together. It really looks like a family.
          Old October 28th, 2016 (2:33 PM). Edited November 1st, 2016 by Wobb.
          Wynaut

If we ever decide to get a Water Gym Leader, here's my idea.

Pokemon Cosmos Discord Server: https://discord.gg/kHYePnE

Find me on Discord or whatever. @Wobb#2777
          Old November 4th, 2016 (2:05 PM).
          Free supporter

Hey had some moments today and I wondered if it was OK for me to propose a spin-off of Wobb's fighting gym leader sprite. I really like the space invader's shirt and wanted to add a more video-gamey feel with a controller. Provided my design looks like a kid with a space invader's shirt and holding a controller, overall I hope it's an improvement or atleast a small inspiration to improving the existing sprite.

Old November 7th, 2016 (12:55 AM).

I think we're pretty unanimous on the hero/heroine/mom/dad designs now. Is it time to start making them properly?
          Old November 7th, 2016 (9:41 AM).

Quote:
          I think we're pretty unanimous on the hero/heroine/mom/dad designs now. Is it time to start making them properly?
          yah
          Old November 8th, 2016 (8:40 AM).

Quote:
          yah
          Does that mean we can start getting on with some trainer/intro/back sprites then?
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Avatar
          And OWs of course too!
          Old November 8th, 2016 (12:09 PM).
          Resident ASMAGICIAN

Quote:
            Does that mean we can start getting on with some trainer/intro/back sprites then?
            We should discuss (and storyboard) what we want in the intro sequence before we jump right into making the sprites for it. We don't have to stick to the normal intro sprite dimensions/format.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
            Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
            Old November 8th, 2016 (12:42 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Touched View Post
            We should discuss (and storyboard) what we want in the intro sequence before we jump right into making the sprites for it. We don't have to stick to the normal intro sprite dimensions/format.
            Good point, although I would definitely still like to get the trainer/back/OW sprites done though. :)
            Old November 8th, 2016 (8:46 PM). Edited November 9th, 2016 by Logan.
            Lost on the road of life

Nature: Calm
              Quote:
              OWM by kimonas repoints ow table and also adds more palette slots.....So , why use 1 pallete for by and girl .

Quote:
              OWM by kimonas repoints ow table and also adds more palette slots.....So , why use only 1 pallete for boy and girl .
              Old November 9th, 2016 (4:45 AM).
              Free supporter

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Lightning X View Post
              Something something kimonas
              Kimonas is not making this hack, that's why.

Additionally, expanding the overworld palette table is easy, there are consequences to adding more palettes because the game's engine only allows 16 of these to be on the screen at once. Including the HUD, weather effects, and mugshots you're left with two additional PALRAM slots. I would rather not spend one of those two slots for one character in the game, and I think most people would agree with me there.

We will get presented with opportunities to utilize them better, besides, the artists have done well given the restrictions, so overall it was a good decision to make them share the same palette. Always always operate on the worst case scenario when making these kinds of decisions. Think of it like sacrificing the second OW pal here, to allow for Mugshots :)
              Old November 11th, 2016 (4:44 PM).
              Pretty Little Psycho

I noticed something about the mother professor that I felt needed to be pointed out. I love the design, but it reminded me HEAVILY of Maddie Fenton from the old cartoon "Danny Phantom"
                "***damn all these women drivers! Take away all their licenses!"
                -My sister on days she forgot what gender she was.
                Old November 13th, 2016 (11:33 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Z34guy View Post
                I noticed something about the mother professor that I felt needed to be pointed out. I love the design, but it reminded me HEAVILY of Maddie Fenton from the old cartoon "Danny Phantom"
                Is this a particular problem or just a random thought you felt like posting?
                Old November 13th, 2016 (12:32 PM).
                Pretty Little Psycho

Quote:
                  Is this a particular problem or just a random thought you felt like posting?
                  random thought I felt like posting.
                  "***damn all these women drivers! Take away all their licenses!"
                  -My sister on days she forgot what gender she was.

Quick Reply