• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen IV unspoken effects

Years
  • Age 55
  • Seen Apr 18, 2020
In Gen IV there are quite a few move effects. Although this can be related to one move effects, doing what I'm suggesting with those won't lead to much discovery of new effects. I have found that there are a bunch of moves that have effects, such as paralyze and flinch chance, with similar effects next to them, such as burn and flinch chance. That is to say, the effect ID is just shy of one another. (For example Thunderfang's effect ID [paralyze + flinch] is 275, Ice Fang [Freeze + Flinch] is 274, and Fire Fang's effect ID [Burn + flinch] is 273)
I have found that there are many examples of this type of thing. So what I'm curious as to whether it is a good idea to say, grab twineedle and test the effect IDs near it to see if I can make a move that might deal two blows with a chance for a secondary effect like twineedle, but see if there is one for burn, paralyzation, and so on. This could also be done with Cross Poison's High Crit Ratio + Poison chance / Blaze Kick's High Crit Ratio + Burn chance to try to find if there is code for a High Crit Ratio + Paralyze chance or something similar.
Is this a good idea? Or should I just not mess with the fragile code of the ROM and stick with the move effects already known?

Back