• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] Legend Hunters OOC/Sign-Ups [M]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plumbum

The Dandy Highwayman (That You're Too Scared to Me
Years
Pokémon... there was a time, even as recent as a century and a half ago that we viewed them as friends, as loyal allies through our thick and thin, always at our sides. That's not so common these days. These days, man as a whole... is more ready to exploit these creatures than live alongside them. They are subdued and indentured to do humanity's bidding. Even the shortest trip down our streets will show you, that Pokémon are not treated with the reverence they once were...

Greetings, and welcome to Legend Hunters! This is a new RP from the school of thought of doing something radically different, which generally means that it's going to go either great or downright terrible. So let's get into the gritty truth of it, shall we?

Legend Hunters is set in Camuldon, which is a facsimile of the Industrial Revolution brought into the Pokémon world - specifically it exists in the chronology of Pokémon Conquest although it is unrelated to the events in Ransei - they are merely history lessons nowadays. Camuldon is exactly what you may expect from that brief description of the world - bleak. All of the evils of the period are well-maintained, Camuldon maintains an oppressive grip over a huge Empire, cities are disgusting, smog-filled cesspools, children are forced to work... not to mention in this world, Pokémon are regularly abused as badly as the humans, thought of as nothing more than tools or worse, natural resources - Steel-types that can be harvested for raw material, Fire-types can fuel a furnace for the price of just enough food to keep them alive, Psychic-types can make a cheap and efficient communications network... the list of abuses of nature that tycoons can think of is staggering in scope, ingenuity and cruelty.

But there are some people who still cling to the old ways, who treat their Pokémon as partners and equals. Ransei called these people "Warriors". In Camuldon, they are known as "Symbionts". They possess a rare ability to symbiotically bond with Pokémon - they understand them, feel their suffering and share their joys. It is said that once a Symbiont is bonded to a Pokémon, they are bonded for life and even beyond death. It is hard for a person like this to live in Camuldon's environment and many find their escape from the isle by turning to mercenary work - oftentimes chasing up rumors of Legendary Pokémon for those who have the coin, even if none of those trust the Symbionts to actually turn over the Legend, they're the most able to uncover one in the first place, which has earned them their more common title of "Legend Hunters".

and that's where our plot comes in. You are a Symbiont, you have perhaps even engaged in Legend Hunting already? But you recieve a call nevertheless, from one Lucius Cairn - a well-known industrialist, a man outspoken about his distaste for the human treatment in Brookshire, Camuldon's capital city and perhaps the only Symbiont in society's upper echelons. There is a pattern-written letter from the man in your hands.

Greetings, [name]

I find myself in the strange situation that I am asking for aid of Symbionts. I have been in contact with my scouts and they inform me that you could be a perfect addition to the team we are taking to the Border Lakes, although I would be remiss to enclose specific details in a written form. I can assure you that you will be more than adequately compensated for your time and for the risks you will undertake. If you are interested in hearing further details, please meet my informant at Brookshire's docks, pier 247 at 11am on Thursday 17th March.

With Regards,
Lucius James Cairn IV​

The Rules!
Yes, let's get the business of the rules out of the way shall we?
  1. Follow Pokécommunity RP rules and don't be a dick outside of them.
Actually that's pretty much it. No need to be too specific, there's not anything I need to add further to Pokécommunity's own. A personal preference of my own I won't make into an official rule though: Try not to be too game-y about your posts. No need to lean too heavily on things like type matchup, levels, specific moves (why not just think of all the interesting things you could do with a typing instead?). Basically, since this isn't a videogame, we don't need to stick too hard to the game mechanics.

The Signup Sheet
  • Name:
  • Physical Description: an image or a description will do wonders.
  • Skills and Equipment: What can you do individually as a fighter and otherwise? Are you similar to the knights of old, sword and shield at your side? Maybe you're embracing modern technology, using muskets and flintlocks even despoite their limitations? Maybe, just maybe, you can make an incredible tikka masala? Low fantasy magic is permitted, in Camuldon it is often powered by a Pokémon, willingly or otherwise.
  • History: What did you do up until this point? Are you from Camuldon or one of her colonies? Maybe even from the wider world? (N.B. I'm more than happy for you to invent Camulan colonies or even other countries, although those other countries tend to be hostile through natives or fauna and those that aren't are every bit as bad as Camuldon herself.)
  • Bonded Pokémon: Give a short description of your Pokémon, it's name, species, things it could do that you might not expect of it's type (like Dragons having fire breathing, if it's not explicitly of it's type, list it down here. Remember you can also learn off-type ability during the course of the RP too.)

One last note: Yes. I did omit "personality". This is intentional. I'd rather you'd show me what your character is like than tell me. Any questions? Don't hesitate to ask. Drop questions in the thread or alternatively, grab me on Discord (I'm on the PC RP section as ThePlumbum) and I'll usually answer straight away if I'm awake.

Last edited:

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
Hi, I'm not too sure if I'll join this due to numerous reasons; one of them being is that my cap limit for RPs may be smaller than I initially thought. But I still want to ask a question or two anyway.

What is the main goal here? I understand we're symbionts that have special connections with Pokémon, and our prominent form of activity is just hunting Legendaries, or mercenary work that just lets us to live, I guess? The details of that letter feels pretty vague, to the point of it feeling like some stock attempt to give the players a motivation they can all share within the prologue. Is there some sort of finale here we can eventually achieve, or is this a never-ending sandbox where we just play around until you or the players get bored? If you do plan on giving this RP some sort of conclusion, I really do believe it would help players tremendously if you presented that end goal more clearly so we're able to plan out our characters a little better for arcs, as well as tie us all together from a narrative standpoint.

I'm not sure if others will agree with your decision to omit Personality, but I actually really like that idea and I hope you stick to it. Personality is liable to change any overtime due to character development, so even as a reference point, the bulk of it becomes completely useless for everyone anyway. However, I do want to ask how exactly you will evaluate a character's personality. Are there specific methods you want players to follow?

Plumbum

Years
Hi, I'm not too sure if I'll join this due to numerous reasons; one of them being is that my cap limit for RPs may be smaller than I initially thought. But I still want to ask a question or two anyway.
[Quietly puts a note in the interest drawer and fist-pumps]
What is the main goal here? I understand we're symbionts that have special connections with Pokémon, and our prominent form of activity is just hunting Legendaries, or mercenary work that just lets us to live, I guess? The details of that letter feels pretty vague, to the point of it feeling like some stock attempt to give the players a motivation they can all share within the prologue. Is there some sort of finale here we can eventually achieve, or is this a never-ending sandbox where we just play around until you or the players get bored? If you do plan on giving this RP some sort of conclusion, I really do believe it would help players tremendously if you presented that end goal more clearly so we're able to plan out our characters a little better for arcs, as well as tie us all together from a narrative standpoint.
You know what I kinda agree. This is a consequence of writing into the wee hours, I've missed a really obvious beat there.

The Cliff's Notes of it are that yes, there is an arc and a direction. I'll add more in-depth details to the OP but it stands to it that the players will be faced up against the status quo in Camuldon and the world as a whole frequently and the plot is based in trying to change it - exactly how... well, I have a few options available and I'm expecting them all to be ignored when the players come up with a better idea. Lucius has one to present of his own, I'll add a little detail on Brookshire Underground, an organisation you would have eventually come into contact with who have their own ideas to present to the players. Of course, Camuldon's royalty just don't want anyone messing with the status quo at all, so perhaps you'll find yourselves enemies of the Crown in the end of things?

As for Lucius' letter, I might just stop being a vague little sod in the first place. I might change that when I go to the OP and edit it as well. It's a standard legend hunt with a strange sense of honor - Lucius merely wants to confirm the existence of the Legendary Pokémon in the location and is happy to let it follow someone other than himself if it so wishes. Not that he won't take a shot at it himself, of course.

I'm not sure if others will agree with your decision to omit Personality, but I actually really like that idea and I hope you stick to it. Personality is liable to change any overtime due to character development, so even as a reference point, the bulk of it becomes completely useless for everyone anyway. However, I do want to ask how exactly you will evaluate a character's personality. Are there specific methods you want players to follow?

I don't think yet that I need to evaluate the character as much as the player. One can usually tell how much care has been put into a form, so at this stage, I want to check the players will be on board and once there's been a little play, I should have some handle on the characters as well. I want to discover characters like you would if you were reading a story and I hope there's other folks out there who would feel the same way. I'm a renegade, a loose cannon, I know. ^_^

As for any form regulations, I only ever ask for prose instead of script and just well... do something in all your posts which is in the PC rules on the word count anyway.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
rip, should've made an interest thread
Spoiler:

Didn't want to nitpick. These are just the objective observations I made and hopefully my suggested means of improvement and justifications for why are translated well.

Reactions: Ech
Years
I'm interested in this. If this is just a sandbox style "go look for legends" type game, it looks like a fun one. If a plot develops and a story gets told, that will be fun too. I'll keep my eye on this, and if I have time might even make an SU, as I already have an idea forming.

I hope nobody from Capes heard that...

Plumbum

Years
Hey guys, glad to see you're interested. I'd politely ask though if people who are interested could hold off until I make a big edit on the coming Monday evening (sorry for the wait, but it's the first time I'm free of work and I need the free time to do this lebel of rescaling) because as has been made rather apparent, I have a lot to do still to make this viable.

Reactions: Ech

Plumbum

Years
Never mind. I think I'll just stick to participating rather than making RPs.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Never mind. I think I'll just stick to participating rather than making RPs.

That's a shame this is going under before it even begins! Totally get the feeling though, a couple years back I had an RP or two die because of a similar feeling.

Hope to see you around the subforum!​

Plumbum

Years
I'd somewhat like to do it. But I'm pretty sure where I've made a massive mess of the OP alone I'd probably do the same with the rest of the RP anyway. I'll probably come back to do this some other time, but I'd most likely enlist someone more competent to help me first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back