• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Ash a disappointment?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
That applies to Paul only. Ash's pokemon is released. That is how i see it. You don't have to agree but respect my choice of what i consider released.

That makes no sense any trainer can do that how is Paul the only one?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 8, 2017
Pokeballs don't mean anything. Unless they are at oak's lab, they are released. I wouldn't count on ash keeping lycanroc.

No it won't. It is gone.

The meaning of the Pokeballs are that no one else could catch Ash's Pokemon even when they aren't with him. All his 'released' Pokemon still consider Ash their trainer even if their paths differ currently.

He may return tbh, merchandising trumps all.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Yes, Ash is a disappointment, sorry to say. He has been since the Best Wishes saga, being honest with you all. He got to the top 2 in the Kalos league only because he had his Greninja that was milked to death and back. The peak of this career was Sinnoh. Alola Ash is fine... but from a directional standpoint, imo, yes, Ash is a disappointment.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Ash has been a "disappointment" ever since the end of Johto, IMO. The moment he lost the Johto League and moved onto Hoenn was the moment he stopped being a character with a story and goal worth rooting for and became the never-aging mascot on an endless trek that he is today.

I know I've already said it a million times, but many of the show's problems go back to the decision to have Ash continue on into regions past Johto instead of having his story end there, as was the original plan. It's the reason why companions and Pok?mon have become disposable, throwaway characters, and it's also the reason why the likes of Ash and the TRio are stuck in a limbo of never growing as characters and never reaching their respective goals.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Ash had disappointed me with his unova league loss, releasing two of his team of six in kalos and getting bad female companions (iris, serena and lillie).

Ash really needs to step things up again.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Ash had disappointed me with his unova league loss, releasing two of his team of six in kalos and getting bad female companions (iris, serena and lillie).

Ash really needs to step things up again.

Yes his Unova lost is bad. But he had good reason to let them both stay in Kalos. And the pokegirls have nothing to do with this thread.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Yes his Unova lost is bad. But he had good reason to let them both stay in Kalos. And the pokegirls have nothing to do with this thread.
I don't consider any reason to be good if he releases 2 of his six members in his party. And yes they do have something to do with the thread because those particular companions are what ruined Ash's journey in those regions in my opinion.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Oh please, the companions have nothing to do with Ash being a disappointment; blame the writers and higher ups for keeping him and being afraid to let him win the league; which will never happen.
In my opinion - Iris, Serena and Lillie have dragged Ash down. Removed those three and Ash would have been amazing as he was in Sinnoh.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Wow that's sad if you blame Ash's failures on female companions that have no relation to his goal whatsoever. But then again this is the Pokemon anime fandumb, where they hate on characters for stupid reasons, like yours.
That is your opinion. My reasons are solid and brilliant to me. Ash could have gone beyond if it was not for those three in my opinion.

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
In my opinion - Iris, Serena and Lillie have dragged Ash down. Removed those three and Ash would have been amazing as he was in Sinnoh.

This doesn't even make sense. Those girls had nothing to do with Ash's progress or battling ability; even if they hadn't existed, nothing would have changed for Ash, other than him having some other chick in his group. None of Ash's friends can be used as scapegoats for his own flaws.

Last edited:
Years
I wouldn't say he's a disappointment but he's been treated badly as a character in certain seasons. That's just it.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
This doesn't even make sense. Those girls had nothing to do with Ash's progress or battling ability; even if they hadn't existed, nothing would have changed for Ash, other than him having some other chick in his group. None of Ash's friends can be used as scapegoats for his own flaws.
I disagree. Those three had been a liability for Ash since Ash met them. They are just one reason why he failed unova, kalos and now alola. Other reasons include poor writing and restricting Ash from certain things.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I disagree. Those three had been a liability for Ash since Ash met them. They are just one reason why he failed unova, kalos and now alola. Other reasons include poor writing and restricting Ash from certain things.

For the record, Alex, Ash actually did a LOT better in Kalos than in Unova. Heck, he even did better than in Sinnoh. He got Top 4 in Sinnoh, Kalos had him getting Top 2. Mathematically, that means he did better in the latter (and you can't dismiss mathematics as opinion). And I'd rather wait on Alola's ending before we decide what his progress in Alola will be. For all we know, he'll be the first champ of the Alola league (and we KNOW there will be a league since the professor was inspired to form it in Episode 43 in response to Misty and Brock's battles with his class).

I will agree with you on poor writing, though.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
For the record, Alex, Ash actually did a LOT better in Kalos than in Unova. Heck, he even did better than in Sinnoh. He got Top 4 in Sinnoh, Kalos had him getting Top 2. Mathematically, that means he did better in the latter (and you can't dismiss mathematics as opinion). And I'd rather wait on Alola's ending before we decide what his progress in Alola will be. For all we know, he'll be the first champ of the Alola league (and we KNOW there will be a league since the professor was inspired to form it in Episode 43 in response to Misty and Brock's battles with his class).

I will agree with you on poor writing, though.
Top 2 is better but i can't forgive the fact that he ended up leaving two of his six kalos team in kalos. I know why he did what he did but XY Ash still disappointed me more than others.

Again this is my opinion. Everyone else can like XY Ash as they choose to.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Top 2 is better but i can't forgive the fact that he ended up leaving two of his six kalos team in kalos. I know why he did what he did but XY Ash still disappointed me more than others.

Again this is my opinion. Everyone else can like XY Ash as they choose to.

That is your opinion. My reasons are solid and brilliant to me. Ash could have gone beyond if it was not for those three in my opinion.

Yes it does. Iris dragged Ash down with her catch phrase. Serena dragged him down with her crush. Lillie is dragging him down by doing nothing.

It makes sense to me.

Your Posts don't make any kind of sense.

Female characters had nothing to do with Ash's character doing good or bad.

Ash character was much better written in the OS then it was in the AG/DP era. Ash was never an disappointment, but his character should have been retire after the OS ended.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Your Posts don't make any kind of sense.

Female characters had nothing to do with Ash's character doing good or bad.

Ash character was much better written in the OS then it was in the AG/DP era. Ash was never an disappointment, but his character should have been retire after the OS ended.
My posts does makes sense. At least to me. Ash was better in hoenn and sinnoh than he was in OS saga, BW saga, Kalos saga and Alola saga in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Doesn't matter. If i am gonna blame certain characters for the bad development of Ash then that is what i am gonna do.

They have nothing to do with the bad development of Ash. The real blame is bad writing.

Back