• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokemon Crystal is on its way to the 3DS eShop

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
Pokémon Crystal coming to VC in January!

Nintendo just announced Pokémon Crystal will be available on the eShop on January 26th, 2018. Are you excited? You will be able to encounter Celebi in the game!

nica edit: silly soap, it's the 26th!

Last edited by a moderator:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
At last, the second gen trio can be rounded off with the third entry to the series, Crystal, making its way to 3DS Virtual Console by late January to join Gold and Silver. What are your thoughts on this?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Fletchling - Today at 12:23 AM
NICAAA AAAAAAAA
https://twitter.com/serebiinet/status/941309529085620225
AAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA

Forever - Today at 12:23 AM
OMG
YES
OMG
dude
YES
also i was gonna message you something but
DUDE YES
OMGGG yes

literal reaction

Last edited:

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
Years
I never played Crystal (i had gold)...and I just got GOLD on my VC so I will 100% be downloading this and playing it for the first time.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
Ironic considering I just got my copy of Soul Silver and am about to start a new play through of it.
Crystal is a really fun game, I definitely have some great memories of playing that game when I was younger. I'm actually kind of surprised that they only just now released the game for the virtual console. I wonder why they only just now released it, especially since USUM has only been out for one month.

I can't remember... was Yellow released on the VC at the same time as Red and Blue, or did they delay the VC release for Yellow after Red and Blue?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
My Crystal cartridge passed away in 2014, luckily I had completed the Indigo Plateau but was only halfway through Kanto. I didn't buy Gold or Silver on the virtual console when I learned you couldn't transfer Pokemon to XY through Bank. But would love to replay Crystal.

Also cool that they are adding the GS Ball finally. You can finally shiny hunt Celebi in an english game.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

I am so glad we're finally getting Crystal released for the 3DS. I was hoping the announcement would come sooner than later.

Previously, though, I was expecting that Crystal would be announced for a re-release sometime late in the winter or in the spring, with a release coming in the summer of 2018.

Given that coding to support Pokémon Crystal was added to the Virtual Console emulator used to run Generation II, and (perhaps also) to Pokémon Bank (based on the Daily article regarding why Crystal wasn't released at the same time as GS), it was apparent that the Gen. II third game would be released all along.

Last edited:

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
lmao Nica please
Also this might be the first time a Celebi could be encountered in battle! I sure hope it is because it could be the first Shiny Celebi to be legit!

Last edited:
Years
I'm in heaven! I didn't buy Gold Silver from the e-shop because I was holding out for this one. I was biting my nails, hoping I hadn't over-predicted. Anyway I am really happy.

I'm not going to be able to sit still until January 26th. I grew up playing Gold, Silver and Crystal as a kid. Crystal I never finished though, because my family moved away and that game is lost to me now, so its really important to me to have this piece of my childhood back, and with the new twist of Celebi too?! Sugoi!!!

Guest123_x1

I can't remember... was Yellow released on the VC at the same time as Red and Blue, or did they delay the VC release for Yellow after Red and Blue?
Yes. All the main Generation I Game Boy games were released to Virtual Console on the same day, in celebration of the franchise's 20th anniversary. This includes Japan getting their original Red/Green pair and their "standalone" Blue (whose graphics and code laid much of the foundation for our Red and Blue versions).

Yellow had far more differences than Red/Green/Blue in comparison to Crystal, which, apart from its focus on Suicune, wasn't all that different from Gold and Silver.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Already bought Silver and finished it, but probably going to end up buying crystal anyways.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I bought HeartGold 3 weeks ago for the nostalgia. Years ago, a classmate borrowed my Crystal, he lost it and I never got it back. He didn't even buy me a new Crystal or give me back the money I paid for it which was terrible. Since I just recently bought a HeartGold, I will not buy the new Crystal game.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Finally! I've been waiting to be able to play as Krys again! I think Crystal is pretty much the definitive second generation experience, so it'll be really cool to have it again; one of the most exciting parts is probably the idea of challenging the original Battle Tower, something I never really got around to when I owned Crystal physically. It'll be interesting to try my hand at the competitive dynamics of the old system for once.

This is kind of related, too - the timing of the release makes me really, really hopeful that we're getting Hoenn on Virtual Console next year so that we have the whole series playable on the same system before the Switch generation. I'm pretty pumped for the prospect of owning seven generations and just one system to tie it all together.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
While I don't need to buy this myself, I'm *very* happy to see the best version of Gen 2 (and my favorite main series game, period) now available on modern hardware.

IMO, Crystal still has plenty of things going for it over HGSS, such as the female protagonist (and most of the character designs, really) and portrayal of the Suicune lore. I also love its animated sprites, and think they look sharper and livelier than most of the ones from the GBA/DS games, despite having fewer colors.

This is kind of related, too - the timing of the release makes me really, really hopeful that we're getting Hoenn on Virtual Console next year so that we have the whole series playable on the same system before the Switch generation. I'm pretty pumped for the prospect of owning seven generations and just one system to tie it all together.

Not going to happen. The 3DS has major emulation issues with GBA games, and can only simulate them natively, which cuts out a ton of features (including even sleep mode). This is a big reason why we got ORAS in the first place -- lack of GBA VC meant that remakes were literally the only way to get Hoenn on the 3DS.

Now, the Switch VC is a different story, and I think it's very likely that we'll get RSE and FRLG (along with RBY and GSC returning from the 3DS) re-releases there. The Switch can't play DS/3DS games, nor even emulate them (due to the lack of a second screen), so VC re-releases of GSC and RSE may be the only realistic way to have Gens 2 and 3 available on that console.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
While I don't need to buy this myself, I'm *very* happy to see the best version of Gen 2 (and my favorite main series game, period) now available on modern hardware.

IMO, Crystal still has plenty of things going for it over HGSS, such as the female protagonist (and most of the character designs, really) and portrayal of the Suicune lore. I also love its animated sprites, and think they look sharper and livelier than most of the ones from the GBA/DS games, despite having fewer colors.

I would second this - while I'm more likely to play HGSS and I think they're some of the best in the series, I personally think that the omission of Kris is one of the worst things to have happened in a remake so far. I grew up with the second generation - all the fun battles, glitches, stories, and experiences that I started out with were in Johto. So, in line with that, I was extremely pleased to see that HGSS were such faithful remakes of the original games, but so deeply let down with the very strange overwrite of the first female player character, especially since I liked her so much.

As for the graphical integrity of the game, I think that a major factor was the coloration. Crystal corrects a lot of sprites' color errors and has more saturated colors overall, and appears brighter and sharper as a result. The original Johto games were a step up from Gen I, but didn't use their technology to full capacity in many ways.

The one thing that I think this VC release could improve upon is localizing some of the features that never made it into the English version of Crystal. They could bring back the Pokémon Communication Center, even if it's non-functional; allow the GS Ball event to occur in-game; and perhaps tweak small localization errors like the Odd Egg's shiny rate. So far VC releases have been almost 100% direct ports, leaving even major glitches in-tact, but this one could be made better with just a couple tiny changes.

Not going to happen. The 3DS has major emulation issues with GBA games, and can only simulate them natively, which cuts out a ton of features (including even sleep mode). This is a big reason why we got ORAS in the first place -- lack of GBA VC meant that remakes were literally the only way to get Hoenn on the 3DS.

Now, the Switch VC is a different story, and I think it's very likely that we'll get RSE and FRLG (along with RBY and GSC returning from the 3DS) re-releases there. The Switch can't play DS/3DS games, nor even emulate them (due to the lack of a second screen), so VC re-releases of GSC and RSE may be the only realistic way to have Gens 2 and 3 available on that console.

I do want to note that the article does say "Alas, it's unclear whether or not Nintendo can overcome the problems that currently keep Game Boy Advance games off the 3DS's Virtual Console." So I wouldn't count it out completely yet, though I'll concede that the likelihood is extremely slim.

In that case I do hope that we get more VC releases on the Switch. I'm not sure if it has the right hardware to do so, but there may be ways to just use one screen of the Switch to display both screens of DS games or something, since it's a touch screen - though I don't think my dream of every generation on one console could happen, since I doubt it can efficiently emulate the sixth and seventh generations. Oh well!

Back