• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Asm help?

Go! Squirtle

Squirtle master is here
Years
Hey! Everybody i am Go! Squirtle and the founder of the act of discrimination on Squirtle i started this act by changing my signature just see my signature. I post this thread because i am unable to found a asm language tutorial but i have a good knowledge of c++. Can i use c++ instead of Assembly?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
Hey! Everybody i am Go! Squirtle and the founder of the act of discrimination on Squirtle i started this act by changing my signature just see my signature. I post this thread because i am unable to found a asm language tutorial but i have a good knowledge of c++. Can i use c++ instead of Assembly?

well, there is a lot of systems made in C here on community, then I think you can use any programming language you want.

Years
C works, so look at FBI's tutorials on assembly and C for ROM hacking. Also check out GBATEK for really technical data on the GBA specs and how assembly works there.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
You can't use C++ because the standard libraries and other built ins (e.g. libstdc++) are not linked into the ROM, meaning you can't use even the most basic of C++ features (new, delete, etc.). Because the ROM was linked as a C application, you'd be unable to use features like exceptions. Since it's too complicated to get the C++ runtime into the ROM you're pretty much stuck with C. In fact, you're limited to a subset of C since you can't reliably define global variables or use variables with a static lifetime.

Anyway, learning C/C++ is not going to get you away from needing ASM. Even GBA homebrew requires you to write some ASM for the low level stuff like interrupt handlers and other timing sensitive code. This is even more true for hacking a ROM because you need to understand the underlying code (i.e. ASM) of the ROM so that you can hook into it and modify it.

If you have good knowledge of C++, learning ASM shouldn't be that hard. ARM ASM is a RISC architecture (i.e. Reduced instruction set computing), meaning that the instruction set is simplified. This is even more true for THUMB - the entire instruction set is actually defined in this incredibly short (40 page) manual.

Go! Squirtle

Squirtle master is here
Years
You can't use C++ because the standard libraries and other built ins (e.g. libstdc++) are not linked into the ROM, meaning you can't use even the most basic of C++ features (new, delete, etc.). Because the ROM was linked as a C application, you'd be unable to use features like exceptions. Since it's too complicated to get the C++ runtime into the ROM you're pretty much stuck with C. In fact, you're limited to a subset of C since you can't reliably define global variables or use variables with a static lifetime.

Anyway, learning C/C++ is not going to get you away from needing ASM. Even GBA homebrew requires you to write some ASM for the low level stuff like interrupt handlers and other timing sensitive code. This is even more true for hacking a ROM because you need to understand the underlying code (i.e. ASM) of the ROM so that you can hook into it and modify it.

If you have good knowledge of C++, learning ASM shouldn't be that hard. ARM ASM is a RISC architecture (i.e. Reduced instruction set computing), meaning that the instruction set is simplified. This is even more true for THUMB - the entire instruction set is actually defined in this incredibly short (40 page) manual.

Thanks for your great help and please support Squirtle discrimination act by changing your signature same as me just add supporting keyword at the start of signature.

Back