The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacks Studio Sideshow Showcase
Red Pokémon Red++ - v2.4.1 RELEASED

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

Old 1 Week Ago (3:06 PM).
Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quiet
They both use the crysaudio engine, so yeah, that's probably the one I'll go with too. Unless something better shows up.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (4:31 PM).
The One and Only

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
They both use the crysaudio engine, so yeah, that's probably the one I'll go with too. Unless something better shows up.
Its the only version of it really, across the very few early gen hacks I heard the extended version it sounds exactly the same.

Do you have a file of it by any chance? Been wanting to listen to it outside hacks for a while now.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:52 PM).
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Man View Post
Its the only version of it really, across the very few early gen hacks I heard the extended version it sounds exactly the same.

Do you have a file of it by any chance? Been wanting to listen to it outside hacks for a while now.
Sadly, I do not.

Old 1 Week Ago (11:31 PM).
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I know what he's talking about, it was made by FroggestSpirit and it's in CrystalComplete (it replaces the original Kanto theme, instead of being added as a new song, if you're looking for it in the music player in the hack). Personally I'm not too big on it, I think the new parts of the song are kind of jarring in the way it liberally changes waveform. But I'm a snob about 8-bit instrumentation.

I personally hope you don't just replace all the Gen 1 songs with Gen 2 equivalents, or if you do, allow some option to switch between the originals and the Gen 2 versions (kind of like how CrystalComplete has a switch between the original music from GSC and other songs in the options, to bring up that base for a second time). Some of the Gen 2 remixes of Gen 1 music are just way too different in tone, and it's sometimes good for setting up how the areas have changed in the three years between RBY and GSC (Lavender Town comes to mind first), but I don't feel they'd work in the original game (again, Lavender Town is the ideal example, the Gen 2 version intentionally has no menace to it and wouldn't fit in Gen 1 when it's completely haunted). You'd have to do entirely different arrangements of some of the songs to be closer to the original if you were going to go for that kind of thing, and that would be a massive amount of work (though there are a few songs from Gen 1 that I want to make Gen 2 equivalents for once I'm cleared of my music backlog).
Old 1 Week Ago (1:42 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Da Man.
The One and Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
I know what he's talking about, it was made by FroggestSpirit and it's in CrystalComplete (it replaces the original Kanto theme, instead of being added as a new song, if you're looking for it in the music player in the hack). Personally I'm not too big on it, I think the new parts of the song are kind of jarring in the way it liberally changes waveform. But I'm a snob about 8-bit instrumentation.

I personally hope you don't just replace all the Gen 1 songs with Gen 2 equivalents, or if you do, allow some option to switch between the originals and the Gen 2 versions (kind of like how CrystalComplete has a switch between the original music from GSC and other songs in the options, to bring up that base for a second time). Some of the Gen 2 remixes of Gen 1 music are just way too different in tone, and it's sometimes good for setting up how the areas have changed in the three years between RBY and GSC (Lavender Town comes to mind first), but I don't feel they'd work in the original game (again, Lavender Town is the ideal example, the Gen 2 version intentionally has no menace to it and wouldn't fit in Gen 1 when it's completely haunted). You'd have to do entirely different arrangements of some of the songs to be closer to the original if you were going to go for that kind of thing, and that would be a massive amount of work (though there are a few songs from Gen 1 that I want to make Gen 2 equivalents for once I'm cleared of my music backlog).
Thank you, mind sending me a link to the latest version of CC if you could please Linnie? Would like to try it out myself.

And personally I don't mind if all or most music gets replaced by the gen 2 versions. I prefer a lot of them over the gen 1 versions anyway.
Old 1 Week Ago (2:31 PM).
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Thank you, mind sending me a link to the latest version of CC if you could please Linnie? Would like to try it out myself.

And personally I don't mind if all or most music gets replaced by the gen 2 versions. I prefer a lot of them over the gen 1 versions anyway.
https://github.com/froggestspirit/crystalcomplete
I can't find an IPS patch of the hack but you can install the git repository just like you would for the regular pokecrystal disassembly and build the ROM that way.
Old 1 Week Ago (2:48 PM).
The One and Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
https://github.com/froggestspirit/crystalcomplete
I can't find an IPS patch of the hack but you can install the git repository just like you would for the regular pokecrystal disassembly and build the ROM that way.
I have absolutely zero idea how to do that so think I'll pass, thanks for trying at least.
Old 1 Week Ago (3:04 PM).
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
I have absolutely zero idea how to do that so think I'll pass, thanks for trying at least.
Well in that case I decided to just quickly record the song for you.
Old 1 Week Ago (8:41 PM).

I have to mostly agree with those who would rather you didn't replace the Gen 1 music with the Gen 2 versions. Personally, I wouldn't mind if some of the themes were replaced, namely for the Elite Four (such as using Lance's Gen 2 theme over the Gen 1 Gym Leader theme in the original game, or porting the demix of the B2W2 remix for the Gen 1 final battle theme to replace the original final battle theme provided you have permission to do so), but as pointed out, the Gen 2 remixes of the Gen 1 battle themes sound far too different from the originals (intentionally in at least some cases) and, while it won't affect whether I play the 3.0 once it's ready (of course I will), I would prefer that most of the replacement music that is added sound closer to Gen 1 than it goes Gen 2.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:42 PM).
Johto Region Champion

I'll try to avoid unnecessarily changing themes that don't need changing. The main reason for wanting to make the switch to Crystal's music engine comes from:

- Saving space, since RBY have several duplicate copies of the music engine due to the dumb way it was coded.
- Ability to use more songs that music creators have been making, since people pretty much only post the code for songs in Pokecrystal format.

That way I can add songs needed for the new areas that were already in (Faraway Island, Mt. Moon Square, that sort of thing) as well as all the new areas that are planned for the future (Johto). But yeah, I'll try not to annoy too many people in the process. But I also know that I can't please everyone, so I'll go ahead and say that in the end it will come down to what I think sounds best to me.

Old 6 Days Ago (2:33 PM).

I am playing this rom on retropie i am loving it so far but im wondering if anyone knows how to get the game to display in colour
Old 6 Days Ago (2:40 PM).
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_obslayer View Post
I am playing this rom on retropie i am loving it so far but im wondering if anyone knows how to get the game to display in colour
Only some emulators can play it in colour, and I honestly have no idea if retropie can do it or not. As of right now, it uses Super Gameboy mode for colour, NOT Gameboy Color mode for colour. As such, only some emulators can actually emulate the colour part. I know that in VBA for example, you would go into Options and change the "Gameboy" setting to either "Super Gameboy" or "Automatic" to have colour, I don't know if Retropie would be similar or not, but that's what I would start by looking for.

Also, keep in mind that color will still be limited like the screenshots in the first post, not the GBC-Enchanced pics from my work-in-progress version that I've been posting recently.

Old 6 Days Ago (2:42 PM).

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_obslayer View Post
Colors require Super GameBoy (SGB) mode from the emulator. From Googling a bit, it looks like RetroPie will only do this with the BSNES emulator (sources: 1 2).

The 3.0 release will be a GameBoy Color−only ROM with full GBC color support.
Old 6 Days Ago (3:22 PM).

okay thankyou i'll just stick with it as is
Old 2 Hours Ago (11:26 PM). Edited 2 Hours Ago by XDragonRiderX.
A lot changes in 8 years, huh?

Nature: Serious
Will 3.0 address the PC issue, where you have to manually switch boxes vs switching automatically in Gen 3 and above? It's honestly one my biggest annoyances/gripes in Red, especially when I'm trying to complete my 'dex. And if the L = A functionality appears, that would make my month (or however long I spend on this game), since I play on my 3DS and I don't want my A button to wear down (it's already starting to get mushy after less than a year of occasional Mario Kart matches and Pokemon marathons) and would allow people to play using only heir left hand.

Speaking of the 'dex, first time I've gone above 100 Pokemon collected in Gen 1. Thanks for that, haven't tried to catch em all since the release of Black and White.
Old 47 Minutes Ago (1:30 AM).
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragonRiderX View Post
Will 3.0 address the PC issue, where you have to manually switch boxes vs switching automatically in Gen 3 and above? It's honestly one my biggest annoyances/gripes in Red, especially when I'm trying to complete my 'dex. And if the L = A functionality appears, that would make my month (or however long I spend on this game), since I play on my 3DS and I don't want my A button to wear down (it's already starting to get mushy after less than a year of occasional Mario Kart matches and Pokemon marathons) and would allow people to play using only heir left hand.

Speaking of the 'dex, first time I've gone above 100 Pokemon collected in Gen 1. Thanks for that, haven't tried to catch em all since the release of Black and White.
L = A cannot happen (at least not due to anything I do) since, as far as the game itself is concerned, "L" does not exist. That happening for pre-GBA titles is purely an emulator thing. Sorry.

As for changing how the PC works, I am planning to look into automated box switching. Since I'm planning to add a Pokegear/Pokenav/Etc type device, I'll probably make it so when you fill up a box, you'll receive a call from Bill letting you know that you filled up the box and he can switch it for you. I know that if I make it switch silently, I'll have lots of people who get in a hurry and claim a Pokemon was deleted from their box, when really it just auto-switched and they didn't look for it. Haha.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links