• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I'm just going to add my opinion here:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wont the elite guy just take control of the next generation of Latis? Or are they the last of their kind?

If that's the case (last of kind) then quote some famous guy.
Hypothetically, if these Latis were killed, there wouldn't be any future generations.

And presumably these two Latis are the last of their kind, but would that justify endangering the world for their sake?

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
And presumably these two Latis are the last of their kind, but would that justify endangering the world for their sake?

It depends. Do they grant the world balance, as other Legendaries do? And do they do that by existing in the first place?

After all, what's worse? the possibility of the world may, somehow, under some specific circumatsnces, go All Zombies, or the certainty that it will?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
But you're posting it on a public internet forum, which implies that you would like other people to read and enjoy it, correct?

Ah, it's always clear who doesn't know Asty's sense of humor well.

Sorry to those of you who have to put up with me while I'm in my more sarcastic mood, guys. Trip home + dial-up + personal things = I'm going to pretend to be House for awhile.

Going to wait to answer txt's questions until he answers solvino's. I'm pretty much thinking the same thing there.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years

Well now, Its your story, if you don't come up with a good idea, then I guess you won't have much more to write about now will ya? D: j/k

Like solovino said, its really hard to tell with what we know, and you can't give us more info with our giving away plot details.

I'm not sure really. If you want someone to talk to about it with our revealing all of your details to the whole world, then fell free to PM me.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Next time, I'll post a big giant winking smilie that's old-school and has been around since the early days of AOL.

;-)

But you're posting it on a public internet forum, which implies that you would like other people to read and enjoy it, correct?
I'm not writing to please the majority of the fandom. I'm perfectly happy with the amount of people I have reading my fic now. Yes, it's only two, and other people posting their fics online would be wanting more, but I'm little miss eternal optimist, and I think that those two people are two more people that are reading my fics than what I had before I was publishing.

Or, for another perfect answer to the question:

Whatever. ;-)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Dagnabit. I had this really impressive response, Spearow, to assure you that Asty's sense of humor is an acquired taste and not getting it is not unusual. It involved an analogy in which I compared her sense of humor to supergluing a fish to someone's ceiling.

But then dial-up ate my response, and it took three tries to navigate back to this page.

So, the short of it is:

1. Asty's sense of humor is like supergluing a fish to someone's ceiling. Don't ask why. It just is.

2. Dial-up sucks.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
It depends. Do they grant the world balance, as other Legendaries do? And do they do that by existing in the first place?

After all, what's worse? the possibility of the world may, somehow, under some specific circumatsnces, go All Zombies, or the certainty that it will?
They don't exactly have a higher purpose the way they are now. They're just dragons with feathers, albeit really cool ones, and they're trying to keep ye olde Evil Overlord from gaining control over them.

That's all I could come up with after tossing out a page-long (and growing) synopsis of my entire plot.

EDIT: Maybe that would make a good plot device, after all. The three options are a) Latis aren't killed but Overlord gains control as a result, b) Latis are killed and Overlord doesn't gain control, c) Latis aren't killed and Overlord doesn't gain control. The Lati's companions would strive for the last option, despite the opposition they would face with people telling them that they're selfish and whatnot. It might make for some good conflict and character building.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
'Kay guys, I have a dilemma (!spoiler alert!). In the Eon Chronicles, the Evil Overlord™ is after the titular books in which is recorded all known information on the Latian race (Latians being Latios and Latias). Anyone who has all of said books gains access to all of the secrets of the Latians and therefore gains the ability to control them.

Now obviously, the Latias and Latios that the story centers on are journeying with their companions in order to recover the Chronicles before the Evil Overlord™ does. Along the way, they meet this guy who basically says "hey! If the Evil Overlord™ ends up getting the books before you, gains control of you, and turns you into evil killing machines/dark minions/living rave parties, that would be really bad! So why don't I just kill you right now and rob him/her/it of any possible chance of doing so?"

And my characters' reply? "...You know, you have a point there."

So I need some reason for these dragons to exist despite the fact that they may ultimately end up destroying the planet/killing a lot of people/becoming the new hit sensation. What kind of quality would make them worth keeping around?

By far the most sensible solution: they just want to live. They know they could prevent disaster by sacrificing themselves - but deep down we all just desperately want to survive. It's why heroic sacrifices are considered heroic to begin with - deciding to sacrifice one's own life for the good of others is hard. While there is still a chance that they could prevent destruction without sacrificing themselves, they'll cling to that hope. If they end up becoming convinced that they will never prevent it otherwise, they might do it, but as long as they are living, mortal creatures, they will fear their own death and be desperate to avoid it. Emphasizing that will also make the characters feel more human and interesting.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
By far the most sensible solution: they just want to live. They know they could prevent disaster by sacrificing themselves - but deep down we all just desperately want to survive. It's why heroic sacrifices are considered heroic to begin with - deciding to sacrifice one's own life for the good of others is hard. While there is still a chance that they could prevent destruction without sacrificing themselves, they'll cling to that hope. If they end up becoming convinced that they will never prevent it otherwise, they might do it, but as long as they are living, mortal creatures, they will fear their own death and be desperate to avoid it. Emphasizing that will also make the characters feel more human and interesting.
Makes perfect sense. I actually kind of have this basic groundwork laid out already; I just needed to tweak a few things. So...yeah. Thanks a ton, everyone. Rhymage.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Wow, this place is pretty dead, no posts in over 48 hours?!

It's because everyone's in so much shock and awe by my godly presence that they've been struck dumb by the sheer aura of awesome. (I figure that if I act obnoxious enough, someone will comment, if only to tell me to STFU.)

Seriously, though, I'm bored. I should be looking for jobs (or, at least, more than I've already applied for and something other than what I did last year) or working on over 9000 personal projects, but I'm not. To make matters worse, I recently wiped my hard drive for the third time in the space of a month, so it's not like I have many distractions. (Eureka won't recognize my iPod. iPod.) Hence, I almost want to organize a little write-a-thon a la NaNoWriMo... only, you know, not during a flipping insane month like November and for PC/Pokémon fanfiction only. Now, this is just on the fly (mainly because a certain otter wants to see life breathed back into the FFL, and I don't feel like making another bold topic), but would anyone be interested in this? If so, I shall spam the crap out of the FFL later during the development so you can tell me what kind of challenge you want and how you want it to be.

Why, yes. Rambly post is rambly. And obnoxious. But that's because any ordinary stick isn't enough to poke this thread.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
txt, the thing you were doing with the links made me think of House of Leaves. And then I hovered over them to find that the URLs led to YouTube, and I was like, "House of Leaves: The Movie. Oh schist." And then I clicked on it and found that it wasn't House of Leaves: The Movie, which made me feel a little bit more relieved.

Because House of Leaves: The Movie would require illegal substances to fully enjoy.

Anyway, thanks for the interest. And tell me about it. Lately, if it doesn't involve aliens and/or trying my hardest to break at least one bone in Bill's body, I haven't been able to come up with much else. Hopefully, if this happens, I'll actually have some sort of inspiration by the end of week one.

Edit: Also, the wooden kind. As in, the wooden kind that's about six feet long and three feet wide and attached to some kind of wheeling mechanism. I guess you would call that a "battering ram," but whatever.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Every time I hear "sticks" and "poking", I think of dirty things.

I'd be interested in a write-a-thon for PFF&P. I was thinking of doing a personal NaNoWriMo, because November is a busy time for me with work. Summer is better (except for patriotic holiday weekends, but I have vacation time! YAY VACATION TIME! =D=D=D=D) But if there's the support/competition (Competition is healthy. Scott Adams said so!) then it'll be even more fun, and will keep my rear in gear.

Also, I've never seen the first Tron.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT, BUT I'M POSTING ANYHOW! IN CAPS LOCK! :D

Wow, this place is pretty dead, no posts in over 48 hours?!
Mod lurks in new section, yo.

Well, not exactly "lurks".

Last edited:

Bay

Years
This place was dead because of HGSS. Seriously, what's up with blue hair being awesome? O.o;

Anyways, a write-a-thon thing sounds awesome. I remember in one of the forums there's something like that. Each week there's a topic and you have to write a short story on that topic within the word limit. Perhaps something like that?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Also, the wooden kind. As in, the wooden kind that's about six feet long and three feet wide and attached to some kind of wheeling mechanism. I guess you would call that a "battering ram," but whatever.
Oh.

Also, I've never seen the first Tron.
Well, now that you've seen the trailer to the second one set to dirty-as-dirt house music, I doubt you can resist. That is, if your tastes in...*ahem*..."viewing material" are what you claim them to be. Although I doubt TR2N has anything like that in it. But it might.

Maybe.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Indeed - HG/SS be partly why I am dead. (Plus betaing and essays to write and three tests a-coming doesn't help either). -_-

I would be interested in write-a-thons or what-not. Doubt I'd have much time for it though. =/

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Writing thing, sounds interesting.

If it weren't because I'm still a bit handcuffed schedule-wise, I would totally be in. Somehow my collegue's hardware knows when to fail...

But, hey, if enough people talks about it, and enough people goes in, and enough people makes veiled references to things with sticks (very wide ones, alas), then wht!, I'm ALL 4 IT anyways!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Seriously, what's up with blue hair being awesome? O.o;

No idea. Personally, I never liked Kris's hair (because it seriously looks like a set of handlebars to me), and her clothes look painted on. =|

But anyway...

Anyways, a write-a-thon thing sounds awesome. I remember in one of the forums there's something like that. Each week there's a topic and you have to write a short story on that topic within the word limit. Perhaps something like that?

Hmm. I like that idea, actually. It's quicker, easier, and there's less of a concern about the organizer upping and quitting halfway through. XD

Would a week to write 7k words sound like enough of a challenge? Or should the word count be higher?

I hate you. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back