• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Asynchronous co-op multiplayer

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
This scripts adds the functionality of an asynchronous co-op system similar to that in the "tales of" games. This means that player 2 can control the partner trainer during combat. The basics are controls for two players, player 2 controlling the partner trainer who can attack, switch Pokémon, and use items from player 1's bag. How to implement this is explained below. Besides that there will be some add-ons added in the future (i.e. no auto healing after battle, instead at a PokéCenter; player 2 also gaining experience and leveling). When used credits would be appreciated.

Controls:
Turning on the co-op controls moves player 1's controls to the right side of the keyboard and sets player 2's controls at the left side. Note that while co-op is disabled the player can still use the controls at the right side of the keyboard (the same as when co-op is enabled). The controls are:
Spoiler:

The Basics
Make the following changes to the PokemonControls script:
Spoiler:

Make the following changes to the PokemonOptions script:
Spoiler:

Make the following changes to the PokeBattle_Battle script:
Spoiler:

Make the following changes to the PokeBattle_ActualScene script:
Spoiler:

Add-ons
Will add the following in the future;
- No healing after battle, instead the partner's Pokémon are also healed at a Pokémon Center.
- The partner's Pokémon gaining xp.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Wow looks really cool ! Now to think of way for this co-op system to work over internet...

Years
This would be amazing if it somehow had online abilities due to probably won't be as often for me at least to see my friends in person to play a fan game then it would be online. I do play fan games with a friend over team viewer which could definitely work but it has a delay so that maybe could cause issues but it's an option at least.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
am bumping here, so sorry if thats wrong, but this clearly works well/to a base level, but is there anything extra needed to alter it for EBS? (if possible) most likely the creator wont reply, due to their activity but maybe someone else knows? dont mind havign a look around myself, but best to ask someone with more skill first.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
as it says, its asyncornous its local multiplayer. this has nothing online about otherwise it'd wouldnt be that simple.

Years
I have a few questions:

1- The second player only controls a predefined npc partner in battle only? for example, in my game there are several npc partners predifined with their pokemon and such, so, the second player only controls this predefined npcs, right?

2- The second player can freely moves on the map or only in battle?

3- Can the second player catch his own pokemon, train them, do quests, etc?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I have a few questions:

1- The second player only controls a predefined npc partner in battle only? for example, in my game there are several npc partners predifined with their pokemon and such, so, the second player only controls this predefined npcs, right?

2- The second player can freely moves on the map or only in battle?

3- Can the second player catch his own pokemon, train them, do quests, etc?

based on the script; its mostly version 1 is what it is, not sure with predefined ones but ill have a look for ya

with two it seems to be "possible" that you can switch the current player and the controls shift, but not by default atleast (would have to have some way to control a npc (probably dependant) with controls.

the third seemed to be the case or eventual goal; being able to get exp. dont think the quests/story stuff would work unless you manually changed stuff for each player. could have a way to somehow find a way to "alter" a defined npc (if it goes off that) with levels moves etc. a solution is if its NOT done by npc events but you can "generate" it to; using the same storage variables the player can use if they want. then swap the party; then change the pokemon or do tms then switch back maybe; not sure how much of that is possible minus the storing as a variable and swapping.

so by the base the second player only really exists in the battles, maybe as a ready made "trainer" or not. they arent a seperate event on the map, and at the moment it seems no you cant catch, train or do seperate stuff as the second player.

Back