• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Some questions about this team

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

lol you don't have to put this much thought just for the story. But Feraligatr's good, although Swords Dance isn't really necessary. Go with Slash or Thrash. Can't recall when you actually get Shadow Claw in SS... but by the time you get it, i think it'd be pretty useless. Keep Crunch instead. He learns it naturally, and does exactly the same thing as Shadow Claw, even stronger. Additionally, it may help you early on against Ecruteak's Gym leader as well.

Lapras has equal Atk and Sp. Atk. You can go either way offensively. Ice beam along with surf is surely reliable, adding thunderbolt is also actually good. With Surf and Thunderbolt in the same moveset, your pokemon may only be resisted by less than 10 pokemon. Your last slot can go to anything you want. IMO, Heal Bell would be absolutely perfect. After all, Lapras isn't really the offensive type of pokemon.

Gyarados... hrm..Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Outrage, Equake, Dragon Dance XD but since you already have both Eq and DD+Outrage pokes, you could be creative with something different such as DD+Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Bounce, and Stone Edge (for fighting against Ice, Bug, and fellow flying types). If not stone edge, there's always Ice fang or smth else like... Dragon Tail (which is pretty fun XD) Waterfall's flinch rate may make your Gyarados very trollish, too.

edit: i see it was moved XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
lol you don't have to put this much thought just for the story. But Feraligatr's good, although Swords Dance isn't really necessary. Go with Slash or Thrash. Can't recall when you actually get Shadow Claw in SS... but by the time you get it, i think it'd be pretty useless. Keep Crunch instead. He learns it naturally, and does exactly the same thing as Shadow Claw, even stronger. Additionally, it may help you early on against Ecruteak's Gym leader as well.

Lapras has equal Atk and Sp. Atk. You can go either way offensively. Ice beam along with surf is surely reliable, adding thunderbolt is also actually good. With Surf and Thunderbolt in the same moveset, your pokemon may only be resisted by less than 10 pokemon. Your last slot can go to anything you want. IMO, Heal Bell would be absolutely perfect. After all, Lapras isn't really the offensive type of pokemon.

Gyarados... hrm..Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Outrage, Equake, Dragon Dance XD but since you already have both Eq and DD+Outrage pokes, you could be creative with something different such as DD+Waterfall/Aqua Tail, Bounce, and Stone Edge (for fighting against Ice, Bug, and fellow flying types). If not stone edge, there's always Ice fang or smth else like... Dragon Tail (which is pretty fun XD) Waterfall's flinch rate may make your Gyarados very trollish, too.

edit: i see it was moved XD

I know I dont care about the story, but I probably can't get most of the pokemons early game, so I will use Gyarados and Feraligatre untill I will get the rest.

Gyarados is physical or special? (probably physical)

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I know I dont care about the story, but I probably can't get most of the pokemons early game, so I will use Gyarados and Feraligatre untill I will get the rest.

Gyarados is physical or special? (probably physical)
Physical. You could actually check the stats in serebii or bulbapedia or in other sources. If Att is higher, then Physical, if Sp. Att, then special. If the highest stat is defensive (HP/Def/Sp.Def), then you might want to use that pokemon for another role instead -- meaning, as a tank/meatshield or healer, or status-dealer...

Years
Hm... do you how to breed a Tyranitar with Dragon Dance? It's a chain breeding, it might take longer than you think >_<

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Hm... do you how to breed a Tyranitar with Dragon Dance? It's a chain breeding, it might take longer than you think >_<
Oh right, forgot about this. Not to mention how late you get Larvitar. Hopefully, you have a friend to trade with. If not, the trade center in this site would warmly welcome you with...uh..kindness (maybe xD)

In any case, if you want a DD tyranitar, you'll need to follow this process:
Code:
Lv50 MALE Horsea (learns dragon dance at this level) ---- breed w/ ----> Female Charmander  ---.
                                                                                                                                   |
                                Breed with Female Larvitar <--- Offspring MUST be MALE Charmander <--'
Would be a fun breeding experience for you XD

Otherwise, go with Curse (breed with a MALE Slowpoke/bro/king/Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra that knows Curse).

Hone Claws(gen5) is also an alternative, without the speed. Tyranitar is slow anyway, not like a speed boost would make much difference.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Oh right, forgot about this. Not to mention how late you get Larvitar. Hopefully, you have a friend to trade with. If not, the trade center in this site would warmly welcome you with...uh..kindness (maybe xD)

In any case, if you want a DD tyranitar, you'll need to follow this process:
Code:
Lv50 MALE Horsea (learns dragon dance at this level) ---- breed w/ ----> Female Charmander  ---.
                                                                                                                                   |
                                Breed with Female Larvitar <--- Offspring MUST be MALE Charmander <--'
Would be a fun breeding experience for you XD

Otherwise, go with Curse (breed with a MALE Slowpoke/bro/king/Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra that knows Curse).

Hone Claws(gen5) is also an alternative, without the speed. Tyranitar is slow anyway, not like a speed boost would make much difference.

I got friends with Platinum,Pearl,White,Soul Silver.

that's not the problem, but what I need to do in order to get the Dragon Dance on Larvitar?

I totaly forgot about it as egg move.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

that's not the problem, but what I need to do in order to get the Dragon Dance on Larvitar?
Are you checking the site via mobile or smth? I just placed the whole process in my previous post. O_o the one in the box

Anyway, nevermind, again:
- MALE Horsea with Dragon Dance (learns it at Lv38)
- Breed Horsea with a FEMALE Charmander (yes I know, breeding a seahorse and a lizard is weird)
- offspring MUST be a MALE Charmander
- Breed Charmander with a FEMALE Larvitar
- end

* Aside from Horsea, you may also breed Charmander with Dratini(51), Altaria(39) , or Gyarados (level 44).
* Aside from Charmander, you may also use Totodile or Lapras. However, both of them couldn't breed w/ Altaria nor Gyarados

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I don't really understand lol, Female Charmander is probably pain to get, I can do it with Lapras and Female Larvitar?

there is another way to do it WITHOUT A female Charmander?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I don't really understand lol, Female Charmander is probably pain to get, I can do it with Lapras and Female Larvitar?

there is another way to do it WITHOUT A female Charmander?
yes, you may replace Charmander with either a FEMALE totodile or FEMALE Lapras. As mentioned in my post above, the only difference is that Totodile and Lapras couldn't breed with Altaria and Gyarados. OK since you seem confused with all the breeding, let me list everything down again for you. It should be simple.

MALE Horsea/dratini w/ DD
-> breed w/ FEMALE totodile/Lapras
-> MALE offspring
-> breed w/ FEMALE larvitar

or

MALE horsea/altaria/dratini/Gyarados w/ DD
-> breed with charmander
-> MALE offspring
-> Breed w/ FEMALE larvitar

On a side note, i'd suggest that you read about [passing down moves in breeding], as it will be very crucial when trying to teach your future pokemon/team some egg moves. Especially those that are only acquired through [chain breeding] so you could fully grasp what we just talked about here XD

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_breeding#Passing_moves_down

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
yes, you may replace Charmander with either a FEMALE totodile or FEMALE Lapras. As mentioned in my post above, the only difference is that Totodile and Lapras couldn't breed with Altaria and Gyarados. OK since you seem confused with all the breeding, let me list everything down again for you. It should be simple.

MALE Horsea/dratini w/ DD
-> breed w/ FEMALE totodile/Lapras
-> MALE offspring
-> breed w/ FEMALE larvitar

or

MALE horsea/altaria/dratini/Gyarados w/ DD
-> breed with charmander
-> MALE offspring
-> Breed w/ FEMALE larvitar

On a side note, i'd suggest that you read about [passing down moves in breeding], as it will be very crucial when trying to teach your future pokemon/team some egg moves. Especially those that are only acquired through [chain breeding] so you could fully grasp what we just talked about here XD

Female Lapras and Dratini/Horsea is probably the easiest method to do.

Is that possible to get more than one Lapras, or restart the game untill I get Female one?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

You can get one every Friday. But yeah you can do what you said or breed it with a ditto until you get a female XD

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I finally ordered my 3DS XL, with Soul Silver because Heart Gold is out of stock in all of the stores that I order... so I made A few changes in my team,

I replaced Arcanine with Typhlosion (because there is no Growlith in Soul Silver) and I kicked Shiftry for Alakazam, I checked Shiftry and he isn't that strong, Alakazam got insane Special Attack with Calm mind,

I also replaced Hitmonlee with Haracross, simply because Heracross is just better.

Tyranitar :

Dragon Dance
Crunch
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Dragonite :

Dragon Dance
Outrage
Fly
Roost

Typhlosion :

Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Eruption
Solar Beam

Lapras :

Surf
Ice Beam
Perish Song
Thunderbolt

Heracross :

Bulk Up
Close Combat
Earthquake
Megahorn

Alakazam :

Calm Mind
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

Edit : I just watched some EV guides, and now I understand it, the only question I got, is it worth to lose to trainers (like the first battle with you'r rival) in order to not get the wrong EV? or it's doesn't matters because in the end, it's probably better to breed all of you'r pokemons, is that right?

If i want to get my team to have the best EV/IV/Nature breeding is probably essential, waiting for your tips

about EV/Nature/IV and more helpful stuff...

Last edited:
Years
About your team: I don't think Thyplosion needs two Fire-type moves. If you're going to use Sunny Day, you surealy are going to take some damage, and Eruption will be weaker than Flamethwoer. If you want a move stronger than Flamethwoer, there is Heat Wave, though it's not that better. Maybe Overheat, since it's stronger than Fire Blast and it's a "last move before dying". To be honest I don't know another move you should pick, so feel free to keep Eruption if you want :3

Lose to trainers? Then how are you going to get through the game? That's why I asked if you want a competitive team or a just-for-fun team. If it's competitive and you care thaaaaat much about EV's and Natures, you should make it in the post-game, not during the game. It's much easier when you have all the necessary TM's, items and Pokémons at your disposal.

There is no way to beat the game while training EV's, there are too many different enemies who are going to mess up your training. If it's just ONE battle, though, you can win it - 1 EV has no impact at all, and since 510 is the overall maximum, you have 255 for two stats. Well, 255 isn't divisible for 4, so you actually have 252 EV's to each status. That is, you have 3 spare EV's points to "waste"... but don't mind that whole math @__@

Just try to create your team in the post game! Use breeding to get your starter again and don't forget the Everstone to help you with the Natures.

(I just remembered about some berries which erase EV's. I'm not familiar with them, but I should mention anyway :3)

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

People normally just let EVs and IVs build up naturally for pokemon they wanna use for the story. I mean, play the game without worrying about EVs/IVs at all. Play the game like you never knew about them >_>

EV training is particularly meant for competitions. Even without, you'd still kick ass in story mode. If you wanna start playing competitively, breed a fresh egg and train post-game like Lari mentioned (where you wouldn't have to fight any trainers).

Now if you still truly want to EV train during the story (I do so when I play an all-bug team), then by all means, do it with wild pokemon. Stop your journey, EV train in one place, then proceed. You cant "choose" which trainers to fight, so the best way to avoid "messed up EVs" is to simply max it before fighting anything else. Personally, I don't bother maxing more than one stat. Usually, I just EV train for a single stat for story pokemon, then just let the rest come in naturally since it's a real pain in the butt.

Oh right, since Lari mentioned the EV-reducing berries... in gen 4, they act like an opposite equivalent of vitamins. If your pokemon's EV is more than 100, one of those berries will drop it to 100. For example...

Attack EV = 252 -> used Kelpsy Berry -> Attack EV = 100
Attack EV = 103 -> used Kelpsy Berry -> Attack EV = 100

In Gen V, they removed the "100 limit". However, they just reduce the EV by 10. So yeah, in Gen V you can completely reduce 255 EVs to 0. You'll need 26 berries for that tho XD

EV-reduc Berries:
Pomeg Berry – Lowers a Pokémon's HP EV
Kelpsy Berry – Lowers a Pokémon's Attack EV
Qualot Berry – Lowers a Pokémon's Defense EV
Hondew Berry – Lowers a Pokémon's Special Attack EV
Grepa Berry – Lowers a Pokémon's Special Defense EV
Tamato Berry – Lowers a Pokémon's Speed EV

Lastly, if you really want to bother yourself with EVs early in the game, [Pokecheck] may help a lot. Upload your pokemon and check it's stats - you'll find how much it's current EVs are.

On a side note, I wouldn't suggest "downloading" pokemon from there. It's filled with, uh, "illegitimate" pokemon that would ban you from battling online.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Another question, is it legal to use Action Replay, Just for Events that I missed?, because it's sucks that because I didn't had DS I can't get some Event only Pokemons...

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Another question, is it legal to use Action Replay, Just for Events that I missed?, because it's sucks that because I didn't had DS I can't get some Event only Pokemons...
Yup.

I feel ya, though. Let me guess, trying to get that spiky-eared Pichu? If you go to the [Trade Corner], someone could lend you or even give you the necessary (and legit) Pokemon to unlock the event. For others, well, tough luck >_< I've missed a lot of events, myself, for not playing Pokemon in the past 3 or so years.

Correct me if i'm wrong, Spiky-eared pichu is untradeable, however, I think the pokemon to unlock it's event (pikachu-colored pichu) is tradeable.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I didn't knew about the Pichu lol he's awsome, but I want it mainly for unique's Pokemon's like Ash's Pikachu, and the Pikachu with Surf, and anothers like Mew-Two, and those.

So it's legal to use Action Replay Only for Events? I won't get banned somehow? I have zero intention to cheat, I want to use it only to get all of those event pokemons...

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I guess you won't get banned for as long as you don't use those pokemon when you go online. This is kinda getting off-topic lol.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I guess you won't get banned for as long as you don't use those pokemon when you go online. This is kinda getting off-topic lol.

Yea I opened a Thread about it in the main forum I think, I can get ban by have those "Event Pokemons" sit in my box or in offline gameplay?

Back