• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon: Saints

Who should be the starter Pokemon?

• Nidoran♂

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Koffing

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Oddish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bellsprout

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Sandshrew

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Phanpy

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Cubone

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2012
Pri7H.png

Made with: Game Maker 8

OberA.png

Alright lady, you get your story. I'll tell you what it was like to rule the world...I'll tell you what it was like to walk as a Saint.

One night. It's amazing what can happen in those dark few hours.
In one night, you may find that rare gem you have been searching for, buried unseen in the tallest of grass.
In one night, your future can evolve before your eyes, your blood, sweat and tears repaying you with sharper claws, fierce eyes and the power to bend the tides.
In one night, you may challenge the world with those fierce eyes and leave it crushed in your wake, your name forever known in the halls of heroes.

In one night, you can lose it all.

It was the biggest job we'd ever taken, so big that even a know-nothing rikuru-to like me was right in the heart of it. We were to break in to some corporate-owned laboratory in some valley offways in the jungle, take a shiny little box and deliver it to our contact.
Simple, right?
We messed up. Something went wrong and next thing I knew Abe'd thrown me the loot and told me to run, sending the Saints running home while he kept the law at bay.
...I got back to the base and found out the other Saints had been arrested - not all, but near enough to not make a difference. Worse, our contact had vanished, what remained of us had a price on our heads and we were collapsing from within.

We were double-crossed, our friends were in prison and we had the hottest item of the century sitting within our home.

One night. It's amazing what can happen in those dark few hours.
In one night, you may find that rare gem you have been searching for, buried unseen in the tallest of grass.
In one night, your future can evolve before your eyes, your blood, sweat and tears repaying you with sharper claws, fierce eyes and the power to bend the tides.
In one night, you may challenge the world with those fierce eyes and leave it crushed in your wake, your name forever known in the halls of heroes.

In one night, you can lose it all.

But when the morning comes, you can fight to get it back.

yUNMv.png

Pokemon: Saints is spawned from a concept that has probably always floated around Pokemon fangame sites, but I am yet to see done successfully*: you are a member of a Team, the criminal organizations of the Pokemon world.

Ariel is young, only fifty years since initially colonized, and the government has yet to truly find its footing. Law is hard, largely enforced by private security forces hired by the numerous private enterprises who are leading the colonization, and it has good reason to be - the region is hardly self sufficient, with many of its supplies and necessities being imported from the other, more populous areas and most funding coming from outside interests.

It is the perfect environment for corruption and crime to grow.

nQZ11.png

Spoiler:

n3O6v.png

Real-time Battles

Fights between trainers no longer take place in a civilized, turn-based, otherworldly battle scene between two prissy farmboys who got their first Pokemon from some ambling old man - you're fighting on the streets, where each fight is a matter of life and death. Your Pokemon fight on the overworld in real time, dancing between buildings and trees to deliver devastating attacks. Their trainers are in on the action now, too, keeping close to give commands and courage to their charges while attempting to avoid blows which may be fatal.

Criminal Activities

You will receive, stumble upon and concoct opportunities for you to increase your power and standing in the eyes of the criminal community. Ranging from abusing a shop keeper to earn protection money all the way up to capturing and using a Pokemon of immense power to bend the world to your will, your actions will alter the world around you and make you the stuff of legends.

Territory

However, you won't easily be able to achieve your goals with only what you start with - competing Teams have buildings, sources of income and special items which you will want to obtain, fighting them to take over their territory and utilizing it to your own nefarious ends.

Heroes and Police

However, the law of Ariel won't just let you take over; the police and private security firms will oppose you at every turn, and young farmboy heroes from will journey from across the ocean to put a stop to your rise.

And much more! This thread will be updated as each feature is refined, improved and fleshed out and new features are added.

605Qg.png

Spoiler:

Credits:

*If anyone knows of a game where it has been done well, I would love it if you could shoot me a message with a name or a link.

Pokemon Ranger map rips:
· InMooseWeTrust

NPC, Player and Pokemon sprite rips:
· The good people of TSR.

Last edited:

FinalEclipse

Learning to be a Tile Artist
Years
Good game, seems like you scripted a lot to make this.

I am waiting for a release!

Good luck, keep the quality at the same level the whole way through.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years

He scripted nothing.. This is all images. I dont really like the images but your story is decent...

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
Yes! A pokemon "Fable" like game! Finally! And it seems like you can pull it off!

Kudos, man. I would work a bit on the battle screens, but I really like the non-traditional feel, especially towards the human sprites.

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2012
FinalEclipse said:

Unfortunately, KingCharizard is right - I'm still barely a novice at scripting, so most of what I've done is through images and eventing. Although I may seek the help of a scripter in the future to make a few modifications, as well as clean up a few scripts. But thanks for the support!

KingCharizard said:
I dont really like the images but your story is decent...

May I ask which images you don't like and what you don't like about them? Is it the battle sprites? Trainer images? The tileset? I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Bards Sword said:
Yes! A pokemon "Fable" like game! Finally! And it seems like you can pull it off!

Kudos, man. I would work a bit on the battle screens, but I really like the non-traditional feel, especially towards the human sprites.

Thank you very much! I agree that there is still quite a bit of work needed on the battle screens (gotta get 45 degree sprites for the Sinis Trio from Pokemon Ranger, for one, and start work on some proper battle backgrounds), but I'm glad you like the non-traditional approach!

Poison Master

Poison'd You.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2010
Trainer Sprite defently, in my mind is A Big No, no. If you wanted you could go under Resources, and actualy get A trainer sprite sheet, and set that as A main character to use, instead of the default Sprites that come with it.

Also good idea, and I would try to find/make some realistic looking pokemon tile sets.

Love the idea, Might love the game who knows?

- Ryan

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Looks like the GBA kingdom hearts game... Any way, think of a "saint" like pokemone...

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Wow, this is just plain awesome. :3 I like the Ranger style, although if that's the case, why the PMD Pokemon sprites? (I already know the answer; there aren't Ranger sprites for all the Pokemon, right? Still, the styles clash a bit.)

I hope you can pull this off, although for an amateur scripter, all your nonlinear gameplay ideas and additional systems seem very ambitious. Good luck.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I think you should probably get some Ranger-styled sprites for your battle system, and also change the angle of the background to make it a tad more natural. I do love your ideas, however.

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2012
Zephyr+ said:
Wow, this is just plain awesome. :3 I like the Ranger style, although if that's the case, why the PMD Pokemon sprites? (I already know the answer; there aren't Ranger sprites for all the Pokemon, right? Still, the styles clash a bit.)

Almost right. There are quite a few Ranger Pokemon sprites, but they are missing a few key Pokemon (often the middle evolution. There is Weedle and Beedrill, but no Kakuna!), as well as only scattered Pokemon from the three Pokedexes. However, I recently decided to correct this by shifting them all to the Ranger sprites, building my own Pokedex out of them and requesting for some enterprising spriters to try their hand at making the missing middle evolutions.

Zephyr+ said:
I hope you can pull this off, although for an amateur scripter, all your nonlinear gameplay ideas and additional systems seem very ambitious.

Most of the more open stuff and additional systems I'll be Eventing into place. I know, it won't offer anywhere near the best that the systems could be, but I've been experimenting with Eventing for a few years and found a few ways to get the systems to work. I hesitate to ask for help from a more experienced scripter until I have more to show to the community. I've a few things I'd love to tweak with the battle and inventory systems, as well, but they'll have to wait.

Yuoaman said:
I think you should probably get some Ranger-styled sprites for your battle system, and also change the angle of the background to make it a tad more natural.

Yeah, the background was something I quickly tossed together to make sure I understood how to set custom battle backgrounds. You have no idea how many times I only got a black screen. Keep an eye out to see some updated screens with an improved battle style!

Yuoaman said:
I do love your ideas, however.
Zephyr+ said:
Wow, this is just plain awesome...Good luck.

Thank you both!

On an aside, is it possible to edit the poll on my thread? I'm thinking of closing this one soon and replacing it with another (looks like the starters will be Phanpy, Bellsprout and Nidoran (although I am yet to find a Nidoran sprite. Uh oh.)).

EDIT:

In fact, on the note of screens of an improved battle look:

Before:

picture.php

After:

picture.php

I'm yet to get to work on the attack and health boxes, but they'll be up for alteration soon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2012
UPDATE: Added new screenshots of the introduction, and it looks like I might be getting close to being able to release a beta/demo (of course, it would be an incredibly small part of the game, but it would be good to show some basics about the game).

Also started updating a few of the graphics in the thread, and I shall soon get around to writing up proper character bios.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2012
Work has slowed a bit on it, partially due to having to continue to expand my tileset as I go along and partially due to a few external factors, but I've so far managed to get about 25%-30% of my maps done, including one of the large cities and three of the smaller towns, as well as Routes, Fields, a few caves and building interiors.
The main story has been completely planned out, as have a few of the Grand Plans (you know how the Teams always have some evil plan in the games, like summoning an ancient Pokemon to destroy the world? The Grand Plans are things like that you can do), but populating the maps with the required NPCs will have to wait until I at least get most of the overworld maps finished, just so I can start putting names to places.

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2012
I have run into a bit of a problem while designing my UI.

Old UI:
Spoiler:

New UI:
Spoiler:

I have begun to shift my game away from the official Pokemon games by implementing a real-time overworld combat system, where the Trainer and Pokemon move around the map together. I'd gotten the idea for most of how the combat system would work from the manga; you always see the Trainer and Pokemon fighting the battles side by side, the Pokemon would often have to protect the Trainer from attacks, all that jazz.
However, figuring out how to get such a system to work well is a little more difficult. The idea I currently have is that the Trainer is moved around with the WASD keys and the Pokemon is controlled by the mouse - left-clicking somewhere other than on the UI would make the Pokemon use the selected attack in that direction, right-clicking would move them. If the player doesn't have a Pokemon on the field, they click-and-drag the Pokeball in the lower-right corner of the game window and where ever they release the mouse their Trainer will summon the Pokemon there.
Items and attack selection are proving to be a bit of a bother, though. Or, more accurately, how to display them is. I thought that using a quickbar-type thing would work, as most gamers are familiar with the system, they're traditional in RPGs and they're a pretty good way of quickly inputting commands that might otherwise be a little more complex (obviously), but I'm not sure what would be a good way to include these on the UI. I want to avoid clutter so that as much of the map as possible is visible to the player. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
Your implementing two features I've always wanted in a pokemon game fighting on a criminal team and real time battles I hope you succeed this shows promise

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Seems like an interesting game. A darker take on Pokemon is always eye catching. Although if you want to avoid 'clutter' you may want to avoid large sprites (and large black circles?) being part of your interface (although the Pokeball thing is a cool idea). Hotbars aren't traditional with RPG's, with MMORPG's yes, not regular RPG's. Your choices are either a hotbar to put things on, or specify which key belongs to attack 1, attack 2, then display each attack next to the key. (Maybe display only in battle, to avoid clutter all the time.) Also left clicking anywhere to attack does not seem like a good idea. Misclicks and other things happen often. Might be easier to have to press a key then left click to do a specific attack.

Last edited:
Back