• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Tool: Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter
by Spiky-Eared Pichu

Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter is my first hacking tool, created to make Gen IV mapping easier. It allows exporting and importing the different sections of a map file as separate files. Editing is planned for the future, but it won't support every section.

The file formats supported by this tool as of version 0.5 are:

• Move Permissions files (*.per)
  • Buildings files (*.bld)
  • Nintendo DS Model files (*.nsbmd)
  • Terrain files (*.bdhc)
The tool has a built-in file checker when opening maps and importing sections. Make sure you're importing the right data. It autodetects the game origin as well, but it can be changed at any time (be careful, incorrect values will lead to map corruption).

Screenshots

tool2.png
buildingsi.png

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/?l9qxrl8k5ex5aughttp://www.mediafire.com/?0n3fze12zdm034p

Note: The latest .NET Framework is required to run the tool.

Last edited:

Tan and Teal

DS ROM Hacker
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 23, 2019
We are getting closer to Ds Hacks (with map edits) than ever. Can't wait to try this!

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
This, is great Spiky-Eared-Pichu! this will really bring us closer to DS hacking!

Goodluck on this! :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2016
Good idea, really! Maybe I can add support for your extension file (.per, .bld) in my tool (If you give me authorization)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Good idea, really! Maybe I can add support for your extension file (.per, .bld) in my tool (If you give me authorization)

Sure you can! These new file formats are just the extracted sections and contain the data, they shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Oh, I forgot to mention is this compatible for all the 4th gen games, including HGSS? :)

It works with Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver, yes. Just make sure you have selected the right game option when exporting or you'll get files with garbage.

EDIT: Version 0.4 has been released!

• Added import button for all the sections
  • Fixed a size calculation bug when importing terrains
  • Added file type check
  • Added automatic game origin detection (but it can be forced)

Last edited:

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Yesterday I got a buildings data viewer working! It shows all the data related to buildings, including coordinates and model indexes. In the future it'll be an editor, and adding/removing models will be possible as well. Here's a picture:

A0xfux9CUAE_OdO.png

In case you want to stay updated on everything related to this tool or my hack, I've signed up on Twitter. Follow me at @Markitus95 ;)

EDIT: Version 0.5 is now available! Improvements are:

-Buildings data editor (supports add/edit/remove)
-Locked game origin switch (for your safety)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?0n3fze12zdm034p

Last edited:

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
How do i open a map in pokemon diamond??

You need to unpack the file that contains the maps. The included readme file explains which file has to be unpacked, but I'll tell you anyways. It's "/fielddata/land_data/land_data_release.narc"

Also, for those who downloaded version 0.5 before this post was written, please redownload it again, your HGSS maps are in danger (I fixed a corruption bug). Sorry!

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Yes i did do that but i cant open land_data_realease.narc

You have to UNPACK it to a folder, and then open its files with the tool. NDS Editor is a good program to unpack .narc files.

EDIT: I've got a Move Permission Editor working, although it has saving disabled for now. Here's Route 202 in it:

permissionseditor.png

The colours for each permission are stored in a text file and they can be changed to whatever you like the most. The Buildings Editor will have a map viewer similar to this one, but smaller :)

Last edited:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Did you extract those movement permissions directly? If so, the "02" and "3B" permissions match up with the ones in gen three ("tall grass animation" and "Person jumps down over block," respectively.) Weird.

Anyway, I have an idea for a map editor. I think anything that isn't a 3D model is a 2D tile (as shown above with how movement permissions are handled), so therefore we just need an A-Map that works with a z-axis, in layers. I believe this might be sort of how Game Freak did it: 2D tiles on a 3D plane.

For this to work, this new A-Map-esque program could be made to change only what is on the axis you are on. For example, if you want to edit a water tile on "z, -1", selecting "-1" for the z axis will only show/allow editing of tiles on -1. If you want to change a flower on "z, 0", just select "0" for the z axis. If a mountain tile is on z axis 2, select "2", etc.

I know there's already a map viewer for 4th gen, so maybe that could be made to edit the tiles, too.
I'm not sure if any of this has been thought up already/can't be done with the current knowledge of 4th gen map loading/etc., so I might've just wasted everyone's time xD

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Did you extract those movement permissions directly? If so, the "02" and "3B" permissions match up with the ones in gen three ("tall grass animation" and "Person jumps down over block," respectively.) Weird.

Anyway, I have an idea for a map editor. I think anything that isn't a 3D model is a 2D tile (as shown above with how movement permissions are handled), so therefore we just need an A-Map that works with a z-axis, in layers. I believe this might be sort of how Game Freak did it: 2D tiles on a 3D plane.

For this to work, this new A-Map-esque program could be made to change only what is on the axis you are on. For example, if you want to edit a water tile on "z, -1", selecting "-1" for the z axis will only show/allow editing of tiles on -1. If you want to change a flower on "z, 0", just select "0" for the z axis. If a mountain tile is on z axis 2, select "2", etc.

I know there's already a map viewer for 4th gen, so maybe that could be made to edit the tiles, too.
I'm not sure if any of this has been thought up already/can't be done with the current knowledge of 4th gen map loading/etc., so I might've just wasted everyone's time xD

The values shown in that picture are extracted directly from the game, so yes, they match many of the RSE ones.

As for real map editing, Gen IV maps (and the same goes for Gen V) aren't made up of 2D data in a 3D plane. Each map is a true 3D model, composed of vertices and triangles. That's why they are difficult to edit: because we need a full 3D modeller.

However, this tool already supports importing/exporting of models in the native Nintendo DS models. There's a way to create them from 3ds studio max, but it involves official Nintendo plugins, and I can't post links to them (it's like posting a rom). But I will make a tutorial on them soon.

Also, I've started working on another tool. I can't say anything about it because I want it to be a surprise, but I'll only say one thing: it's gonna be HUGE :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2016
You have to UNPACK it to a folder, and then open its files with the tool. NDS Editor is a good program to unpack .narc files.

EDIT: I've got a Move Permission Editor working, although it has saving disabled for now. Here's Route 202 in it:

permissionseditor.png

The colours for each permission are stored in a text file and they can be changed to whatever you like the most. The Buildings Editor will have a map viewer similar to this one, but smaller :)
Why do I install NET Framework V4.0 or not to open the fourth generation of the Pokemon converter tools?
(Note: Double-click reaction)

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
The values shown in that picture are extracted directly from the game, so yes, they match many of the RSE ones.

As for real map editing, Gen IV maps (and the same goes for Gen V) aren't made up of 2D data in a 3D plane. Each map is a true 3D model, composed of vertices and triangles. That's why they are difficult to edit: because we need a full 3D modeller.

However, this tool already supports importing/exporting of models in the native Nintendo DS models. There's a way to create them from 3ds studio max, but it involves official Nintendo plugins, and I can't post links to them (it's like posting a rom). But I will make a tutorial on them soon.

Also, I've started working on another tool. I can't say anything about it because I want it to be a surprise, but I'll only say one thing: it's gonna be HUGE :D

Really? Then WHY DID THEY DESIGN IT TO LOOK LIKE TILES? -_- Game Freak, pls.

I know of a tool called BrawlBox which allows viewing/editing of 3D models in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (it's designed almost exactly like A-Map too), so it's not at all impossible to do it for Pokemon. Your program is great to even be able to edit models so easily, but if you could do something like BBox, I think that would really get people into 4th gen hacking.

Tan and Teal

DS ROM Hacker
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 23, 2019

DS map editing may be hard, but we've come so far already. There are so many tools for the ds (not as many as for Game Boy+GBA), including this one and the one you are working on. Can't wait for it BTW.:)
ps I may or may not be working on one myself.

And you can even create 3d models too!? That's awesome!

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
How long have you came with the next version??

a little hacking and finally i created a mart in twinleaf town. And i messed up all other buildings too lolz
300xug1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back