• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokécommunity Pokedex Project [Read First Post!]

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Alright I'm having difficulties organising the map. This is because I don't know how the towns are gonna be placed etc. (for example it'd be meaningless to put a dense forest on a city, or a peaceful grassy starting village right on the peak of a mountain)

So if anyone has any ideas of how the towns have to be placed, tell then now or else it might be a tad bit too late >.>

I've seen pridekitty's idea and I want to know if anyone else has anything to add from that... apparently it's too small to be a region, yes? And of course around the waters I will have to modify islands to make them more... usable.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
Well I think the first thing that should be done is to have an idea of what are the key towns in the region, what is their climate, terrain, size and structure. This isn't exclusive to towns only and this is where it gets complicated, each Pokemon region has its history usually tied in to it's Legendary Pokemon which brings about key areas outside of towns, for example in emerald we have the Sky Pillar, obviously we aren't building a complete game here so theres no need to explain too much but I feel its necessary to add these special locations to make the region notable. Basically what I'm trying to say its that the legendaries in the community dex cant be running wild, they need places in the region where they can reside and the place where they reside must coincide with the legendary pokemon's attributes.

The next thing that you do its begin placing said towns in areas in the map(region) that you best believe fits with the town's description, it doesn't matter if in the actual map of Greece theres a forest where you gonna put a desert theme town because one thing about the pokemon regions its their diversity of climates in such a small area (just look a Unova lol). After this comes the special locations I spoke about previously, it could either be caves, ancient structures, anything you think would fit the legendaries basically. Next its the overall terrain which includes, lakes, caves(again), forest, mountains, deserts, rivers, plains, etc(these should accommodate well with the key towns). Finally the last thing to add its roads and other pathways. I hope this could help ya out :) .

Years
I dunno, I think the Lunar Dragon would suit better to be a psychic/dragon type, due to it being space rock related, mystical powers and all that. Plus, it just doesn't really look fairy type, it looks too fierce. (I guess I'm just not really a fan of the new fairy type though). But, that's just my opinion and still thinks it's awesome either way, heh.

I also love the Greece map idea, it's awesome, good work. :)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Well I think the first thing that should be done is to have an idea of what are the key towns in the region, what is their climate, terrain, size and structure. This isn't exclusive to towns only and this is where it gets complicated, each Pokemon region has its history usually tied in to it's Legendary Pokemon which brings about key areas outside of towns, for example in emerald we have the Sky Pillar, obviously we aren't building a complete game here so theres no need to explain too much but I feel its necessary to add these special locations to make the region notable. Basically what I'm trying to say its that the legendaries in the community dex cant be running wild, they need places in the region where they can reside and the place where they reside must coincide with the legendary pokemon's attributes.

The next thing that you do its begin placing said towns in areas in the map(region) that you best believe fits with the town's description, it doesn't matter if in the actual map of Greece theres a forest where you gonna put a desert theme town because one thing about the pokemon regions its their diversity of climates in such a small area (just look a Unova lol). After this comes the special locations I spoke about previously, it could either be caves, ancient structures, anything you think would fit the legendaries basically. Next its the overall terrain which includes, lakes, caves(again), forest, mountains, deserts, rivers, plains, etc(these should accommodate well with the key towns). Finally the last thing to add its roads and other pathways. I hope this could help ya out :) .

I'll think about this. But all that being said, do you have any locational ideas? All this is simply theory work. I am more than happy to do all of this myself, but I don't want any "Hey why couldn't xxx be at yyy instead of at zzz? Also, aaa does not look good, I think bbb will be much better. And can you please add a ccc somewhere? That would help!" so that's why I'm asking you all. Modifying a world map won't be easy tbh, since essentially I'll have to start over in a certain aspect.

Nice ideas btw. Also me being a hardcore legends and lore materialiser, I'll take your word and advice for it.
Well, the "overall terrain" thing may not come out that well considering that fine details HAVE to be omitted due to reasons of it being a map, but will try ;).

And it helped me a lot thanks heaps.

PS - You wrote a profound and sturdy wall of text, you should totally get that "SHUT UP!" emblem.

I dunno, I think the Lunar Dragon would suit better to be a psychic/dragon type, due to it being space rock related, mystical powers and all that. Plus, it just doesn't really look fairy type, it looks too fierce. (I guess I'm just not really a fan of the new fairy type though). But, that's just my opinion and still thinks it's awesome either way, heh.

I also love the Greece map idea, it's awesome, good work. :)

Alright it might help if you take a look at this ;) - [link to an external site]
As you may be knowing the dragon type AND the fairy type are a part of the species.

Saiph-Charon said:
Fairy (fairies, magical creatures that use tricks, healing powers, astrological stuff..)
Exact reason why Marill is a fairy type. It doesn't look fairy, does it? It uses small tricks, that's all.
That way another thing that counts very much are pre-evolutions. For example, nobody saw the change in Skorupi, yeah? Drapion could perfectly have fit as Poison/Dragon, but NO, he chose to become a dark type ;-;

Anyway, yep think of it this way: The fierceness makes it dragon, and the mystic powers make it fairy
You're just not used to the idea that mystic powers are fairy more than psychic, like you said XD (Celebi is a dead Grass/Fairy giveaway, for example).

tbh this is just my opinion too if anyone has another thing to say about this, go ahead.

And thanks, a lot, for having faith in this community. Really, fantastic of you.

Years
Alright it might help if you take a look at this ;) - [link to an external site]
As you may be knowing the dragon type AND the fairy type are a part of the species.

Exact reason why Marill is a fairy type. It doesn't look fairy, does it? It uses small tricks, that's all.
That way another thing that counts very much are pre-evolutions. For example, nobody saw the change in Skorupi, yeah? Drapion could perfectly have fit as Poison/Dragon, but NO, he chose to become a dark type ;-;

Anyway, yep think of it this way: The fierceness makes it dragon, and the mystic powers make it fairy
You're just not used to the idea that mystic powers are fairy more than psychic, like you said XD (Celebi is a dead Grass/Fairy giveaway, for example).

tbh this is just my opinion too if anyone has another thing to say about this, go ahead.

And thanks, a lot, for having faith in this community. Really, fantastic of you.

Hmm yeah that does make sense, and I do agree. The fairy things just new to me and I'm more of an old school Pokefan. :P
It is going to be a lot powerful too, seeing apparently fairy is meant to be super effective against Dragon? Woo!
Well I think it's a good call then, haha. :)

Years

To help get this ball rolling I threw together this map, a stripped-down BW style:

dnopdf.png

I put in towns where several actual Greek towns and cities exist to help give some sense of how the towns could be spaced, and there are some possible routes. (I guess in this one you start in the southwest and move around clockwise, like in Kanto.) It would be easy enough to throw in towns anywhere though, but having them where their real world counterparts exist is usually how they do things in the games, and if there are interesting things about those places you can then have them influence how those towns are designed.

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
Hoenn@ Haha Thanks, I understand how hard this could be so im helping all the way I can. I only requested to add terrains so it would be easier to localized the community dex pokemon in the region, it would help a lot to know for example what areas ice pokemon can live in. I have an idea that could possibly make adding some details easier without having to draw them in, make the details as written descriptions.

Example (from Serebii):

Route 1 is the first route accessed within the Unova Region. It is a rather straightforward route, going from South to North, but when you return, you'll gain access to a new western area with stronger Pokémon. Unlike most areas, it has some plants which differ depending on the season.

Aspertia City is the starting city of Pokémon Black 2 & White 2. Unlike past starting areas, Aspertia City is quite expansive and has a variety of areas within it. First, it has a Pokémon Centre. Next to the Pokémon Centre is a trainer school and to the north-west of the city is a lookout where you can look towards the north and see the routes and mountains.

This of course wouldn't be in the map but as side information. I'm aware it would be a ton of information which why I think this should actually be done little by little and some help wouldn't help either lol. This is only my opinion btw, if you decide to take a different route go ahead.

Scarf@ Wow this looks really good man, take notes Hoenn this map right here at least the way the towns are organized has my approval.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
To help get this ball rolling I threw together this map, a stripped-down BW style:

dnopdf.png

I put in towns where several actual Greek towns and cities exist to help give some sense of how the towns could be spaced, and there are some possible routes. (I guess in this one you start in the southwest and move around clockwise, like in Kanto.) It would be easy enough to throw in towns anywhere though, but having them where their real world counterparts exist is usually how they do things in the games, and if there are interesting things about those places you can then have them influence how those towns are designed.

*dies*

*takes rebirth*

*grows back to the same place at the same time as the same person*

*dies again*

*takes rebirth*

*grows back to the same place at the same time as the same person*

*does this 42 times*

Wow.

This is going to help a lot.

I'm totally scraping my idea and using this.

I wonder why you weren't in charge of the map in the first place lol

Thank you for basically making the map.

Thank you for making the towns, too. I feel this map makes a lot of sense eitherway.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Maps look gorgeous, Scarf. :3

Also, sorry I haven't been posting guys. There's been some drama going on, but I'll still be updating this albeit on a semi-regular basis.

Also, I'm.. kinda confused about the recently posted fakemon. Are they just fleeting thoughts That you guys posted for feedback or do you guys want to see them in the dex? I'm asking cause things like names and stuff were left out, and I don't want to see more uncatalogued. ;o; So let me know what the plan is with them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
I was gonna have a few fakemon ready by today but, I seem to have lost my erasers :/. Ive looked for them everywhere but I can seem to find them. I thought since is gonna be a while since I buy new ones I might as well fill ya in on what I'm working on.

First I was working on my second legendary, I was already half way done with it but I messed up the drawing and I have to start all over again. I'm constantly changing how this legendary will look but things I'm certain I wont change its that its lower half its a giant wheel with an ancient look to it, its upper body its slightly humanoid and I will use dark red to color its body. The other fakemon im working on is what I told you guys the other day was the ditto of this generation, I did say it was gonna be a surprise but what the hell is gonna be a while till I finish the drawings.

The theme of the drawing its based on Toys, basically the fakemon is gonna be able to change into 3 forms that resemble toys. The first form will look like a small robot, it will be Steel type. The second form will be a tank/boat(boat with a cannon) and it will be Water type. The last form will be a ufo(flying saucer) and it will be Flying type. The special ability its what makes this fakemon unique, its called Morpher, this ability allows the pokemon to change form based on what type of move it uses. Theres only 3 type of moves that makes the pokemon change form, Steel type moves transforms into the Robot form, Water type moves transforms into the Tank/Boat form and Flying type moves transforms into the UFO form. Also each form has its own stat distribution, for now the only stat that I know are affected are: Robot form(Attack) Tank/Boat(Sp. Attack) UFO(Speed). I haven't design the fakemon yet but with this in mind you guys can have a basic idea of what I'm doing.

You guys are free to give me advice on what I should do with these two fakemon. Also if some of the things I'm doing are done already please tell me, sometimes I get so caught up in my design I forget if somebody did it already.

In another note, you guys have any idea what the region its gonna be called?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Those ideas seem pretty solid, Beefy. As for the region name... I don't think we've settled on anything. Perhaps something related to Greece? Troenn? Like Troy + Hoenn maybe? Idk. xD

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2016
Hey guys I'm back for good now :) By the way I think the region should be called Zathen region (Zeus + Athens) or even Zathens

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Why don't we shortlist all the names and take a poll on the first post?

Right now, we have:

Zathen
Zathens
Troenn

I would like to suggest...
Trekos Region?
Tr - Troy
re - Greece
and kos because many Greek words/names ended with "os", and k fits with it.

Buuuut I would like someone to suggest a region name that's an anagram for a meaningful word. Come on guys, get to work!

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I was lurking and thought of this:
καλός (Kalos)
ομορφιά (Omorfia)
It means beauty (at least I think it does).
Could be changed to Omorphia or shortened to Omorphi.

Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Sep 16, 2014
Ill leave the naming to you guys, that has never been my strong suit. I'm finally gonna be able to start drawing today, the thread has been lacking new designs lately so I'm gonna tried to motivate people to start drawing.

Ragnia

Hello
Years
I came up with a few possible names for the region, but I like Trekos and Omorfia more. Regardless, I'll still post them xD

Arteth (joint - people). Since ya know, it's a community project.
Rozu (animal- country). Pokemon are animals, kind of. They live in specific regions, parts, or countries of the world. Yep.

Also,
Ugwahhh! Not Alexial's numbers :c

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Also,
Ugwahhh! Not Alexial's numbers :c

don't worry I still <3 you guys, numberless or not.

Region count~! (I removed mine cause it's silly. Also Zathen/s are the same so I consolidated them).

1.) Zathens
2.) Trekos
3.) ομορφιά
4.) Arteth
5.) Rozu

I like 1 and 4, personally.

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Hey guys, it turns out I'm somehow stuck in an extended vacation in another state :L

but, I've still been here, and like Beef said, I'm gonna try to do some drawing, albeit it's not gonna be scanned.

Also, I thought of a neat name for the region too :D
How about Heiryl?
It has the word Heir, like to become king or something, since Greece is known for its mythology of kings and gods and junk.
the RYL bit is also a shorten version of Royal.
It's also pronounced as Air-Rill, which can be read as a "Stream in the Air".
EDIT:
after some hauntings of the word in my head, the word sounds alot like "aerial", and if pronounced even weirder, it can have the first 2 syllables sound like "Hera", which is a Greek god of the sky I think.

Last edited:
Back