• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

my opinion about pokemon sun and moon

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 10, 2018
for a person growing by watching pokemon anime i really have to say pokemon sun and moon is the best anime story wise

Years
How can it be the best story wise when SM's pacing is one of the worst out of all the sagas? Anyway, I respect your opinion but SM is not even better than OS which I consider to be one of the worst sagas in terms of story wise. The pacing on SM is sadly bad imo.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
That depends on the perspective you know. Before SM Pokemon had been a pretty run of the mill monster of the week show. And as much as I love the Pokemon anime, it really does tell the same story every single saga. We have a lot of similar story threads throughout the sagas, with some being completely dropped or forgotten(G.S ball, The latter half of BW Story). Really it's not until Pokemon XY that the show tried to tell a different story, albeit still pretty base in it's execution (it is just a kid's show after all). Pokemon SM completely destroys any of the series episodic tropes and has given us a fresh new take on a Pokemon story.

Some people might think that that new take on story telling is better than the old style.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
That depends on the perspective you know. Before SM Pokemon had been a pretty run of the mill monster of the week show. And as much as I love the Pokemon anime, it really does tell the same story every single saga. We have a lot of similar story threads throughout the sagas, with some being completely dropped or forgotten(G.S ball, The latter half of BW Story). Really it's not until Pokemon XY that the show tried to tell a different story, albeit still pretty base in it's execution (it is just a kid's show after all). Pokemon SM completely destroys any of the series episodic tropes and has given us a fresh new take on a Pokemon story.

Some people might think that that new take on story telling is better than the old style.

Honestly? Any story that literally neglects to even allow Ash to pursue his goal of becoming a Pokémon Master, let alone advance in the ranks, is a very badly done story by definition. I could care less about whether it did something new. They also did something new with Tracey, that proved to be a disaster. Ash wasn't even allowed to pursue his goal until the midway point when that professor announced to the schoolkids that he's going to create a new league due to being inspired by Misty and Brock. And then we've got the whole Lusamine incident that pretty much means the days in Alola are numbered occurring shortly after that. Until Ash is actually ALLOWED to win a league this time around, my view of SM being bar none the absolute worst series, even WITH Misty and Brock's return, still stands. And besides, since WHEN did Ash need to go to school anyway? Even as early as Kanto, it's made pretty clear that Ash if anything didn't even NEED school to be a good trainer.

CidHazard

Years
Are they? Ash is going to a Pokemon school isn't he? he's learning about Pokemon there, they aren't studying math or physics there (tho I hope they do, even to a minimal degree, children do need to learn those things), the only subject that there is in a Pokemon school is probably about Pokemon... how exactly does that become detrimental to his aspiration to be a Pokemon Master?

And it's not all about being the best Pokemon Trainer, it's far above that...
Spoiler:

Tho I do agree he has to win the league at some point XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
It's alright. The Pokemon anime can be better but greed and subpar writing gets in the way

Years
I do hope it gets better story-wise. It felt kinda better during Aether arc but yet it's back to the beginning of the series. I won't put my hopes up.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Are they? Ash is going to a Pokemon school isn't he? he's learning about Pokemon there, they aren't studying math or physics there (tho I hope they do, even to a minimal degree, children do need to learn those things), the only subject that there is in a Pokemon school is probably about Pokemon... how exactly does that become detrimental to his aspiration to be a Pokemon Master?

And it's not all about being the best Pokemon Trainer, it's far above that...
Spoiler:

Tho I do agree he has to win the league at some point XD

1. The fact that, even as early as Kanto, specifically "The School of Hard Knocks" where he managed to take down Giselle, Pokemon Tech's top student, with minimum effort, he was demonstrated to not need school at all to be a good trainer should have been a pretty obvious hint that they're scraping the barrel. Yes, technically, it doesn't prove detrimental to his goal, but it doesn't necessarily help it either especially when every single time a school subject has been brought up, Ash ultimately proved he didn't need it in the first place, so why would he need it now. It's like saying the world's best physicist all of a sudden needs to undergo remedial science.

2. I'm not sure that manga and its explanation should be taken as canon to the anime considering that it was an adaptation of Movie 20, which is pretty much the only movie right now that is explicitly non-canon to the anime due to being a rehash of Ash's first journey under the loosest definition. The closest the anime has EVER given to an actual consistent term of his goal was him winning the League, and especially against the Elite Four and Champion.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
It's the most anime-like, really. The old Pokémon Animation style and characters are very stale, while the SuMo anime seems more lively :)

CidHazard

Years
1. The fact that, even as early as Kanto, specifically "The School of Hard Knocks" where he managed to take down Giselle, Pokemon Tech's top student, with minimum effort, he was demonstrated to not need school at all to be a good trainer should have been a pretty obvious hint that they're scraping the barrel. Yes, technically, it doesn't prove detrimental to his goal, but it doesn't necessarily help it either especially when every single time a school subject has been brought up, Ash ultimately proved he didn't need it in the first place, so why would he need it now. It's like saying the world's best physicist all of a sudden needs to undergo remedial science.

2. I'm not sure that manga and its explanation should be taken as canon to the anime considering that it was an adaptation of Movie 20, which is pretty much the only movie right now that is explicitly non-canon to the anime due to being a rehash of Ash's first journey under the loosest definition. The closest the anime has EVER given to an actual consistent term of his goal was him winning the League, and especially against the Elite Four and Champion.

True that he doesn't need education on being a trainer, he's already proven proficient at training, raising and battling with Pokemon... His multiple, high placements in Pokemon Leagues is proof of that. But, he didn't necessarily entered the school to become better Pokemon trainer. As proven in the SM the classes are all about Pokemon... He and his classmates aren't stuck in the class room as we've seen them on multiple field trips already. He's still experiencing the same ecology he's studying, not to mention actually being tutored by a Pokemon Professor who has probably spent his entire life studying Pokemon. The only thing he lost is, maybe the adventure...

Pokemon Tech is specifically aimed at the art of battling. As the school is aimed at training Pokemon battlers who don't want to go and collect gym badges. Graduates are then qualified to enter the Pokemon League even without said badges.

Pokemon Master is as vague a goal as you can get... How does one become a Pokemon master? every fan has their interpretation. But in the shows world, we have yet to see one such character who is labeled as a Pokemon Master. For all we know becoming a Pokemon master is something that Ash just made up. Heck, the Official Pokémon Handbook states that a Trainer would deserve the title of Pokémon Master upon defeating or capturing Mewtwo... Nobody knows how you become a Pokemon Master XD

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
True that he doesn't need education on being a trainer, he's already proven proficient at training, raising and battling with Pokemon... His multiple, high placements in Pokemon Leagues is proof of that. But, he didn't necessarily entered the school to become better Pokemon trainer. As proven in the SM the classes are all about Pokemon... He and his classmates aren't stuck in the class room as we've seen them on multiple field trips already. He's still experiencing the same ecology he's studying, not to mention actually being tutored by a Pokemon Professor who has probably spent his entire life studying Pokemon. The only thing he lost is, maybe the adventure...

Pokemon Tech is specifically aimed at the art of battling. As the school is aimed at training Pokemon battlers who don't want to go and collect gym badges. Graduates are then qualified to enter the Pokemon League even without said badges.

Pokemon Master is as vague a goal as you can get... How does one become a Pokemon master? every fan has their interpretation. But in the shows world, we have yet to see one such character who is labeled as a Pokemon Master. For all we know becoming a Pokemon master is something that Ash just made up. Heck, the Official Pokémon Handbook states that a Trainer would deserve the title of Pokémon Master upon defeating or capturing Mewtwo... Nobody knows how you become a Pokemon Master XD

I still fail to see how Ash would even NEED to go to a school in the first place, anyways. Not unless he wants to pull a Gary Oak and change his profession to Pokémon Researcher. It also doesn't help that the teaser stuff for SM indicated that Ash actually WAS going to change his goal.

As far as Pokémon Master, aside from the fact that the beginning of the series had Ash clearly watching a match between a trainer and Bruno at the Pokémon League, there's also the fact that, up to now, collecting badges and at the very least challenging the league pointed to THAT being the way to become a master (with it being ambiguous until DP as to whether you are supposed to actually win the league thanks largely to the Orange Islands and how Ash won that yet STILL didn't become a master), and in DP, it's even indicated that, if challenging the Elite 4 and Champion and beating them and thus getting the rank of Champion Master doesn't fulfill the goal of becoming a Pokémon Master, it's certainly a step in the right direction. Sure, we don't have an ironclad definition, which is one of my biggest annoyances with the series, but challenging the leagues and winning them is the closest we've got to an actual ironclad definition in any case. Movie 1 even indicated that a Pokémon Master needed to be invincible in combat, considering that Mewtwo, you know, was labeled the World's Greatest Pokémon Master, at least in the dub (don't know what he described himself as in the Japanese version).

Years
To me, the big issue I have with S/M is Ash being a school student and the fact the trials are being shoved aside so that the school becomes the main goal. If anything, I feel the school was done in an attempt to copy Yo-Kai Watch which was destroying Pokemon's ratings in Japan, and shows how trash kids entertainment has become, in that they all follow stupid trends and copy other shows, which heavily implies writers and producers running out of ideas.

Also, I hate Ash's SM design. He looks like he lost 10 years off of his XYZ design, and almost feels like a crossover of Steven Universe and Nate from YKW.

Last edited:
Back