• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Two Player Co-Operative Play

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee will enable two players to take on their journey together on one console, with two separate Joy-Cons. This "multiplayer mode" will feature 2v1 battles and the ability to co-operatively capture wild Pokémon.

Personally, growing up with an equally-as-hardcore Pokémon fan as a brother and only owning one Switch, co-op is a godsend. We will finally be able to explore Kanto together, outside of just battling and trading. I think Game Freak's reason for including this feature is to cater to households with more than one Pokémon fan living in them, but that own only one Switch. They clearly had their audience in mind, as they're eliminating the "having to wait your turn" factor of singleplayer gaming.

The only dissatisfaction I have with this feature is that the other trainer is forced to use your pool of Pokémon. I think it would've been cool if Game Freak included the ability to download your trainer and team to the Joy-Con so that you could insert yourself into your friends' games and join them on their quests. It would have definitely created more of an incentive to connect with others.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Years
Unfortunately I don't really know anyone irl that plays Pokemon anymore, so for me this will be a pretty redundant feature, which is a shame cause it's something I've wanted to be able to experience in Pokemon since I started playing. It'll certainly be a really fun mechanic though, and I like your idea of being able to download your own trainer onto the joycon, which would make it even better. It's a bit annoying that you get to 2v1 trainers with this though, I mean the modern games are easy enough as it is, but this just seems a bit OP tbh.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Seems cool, but I have no friends let alone friends who own a Switch and like Pokemon. Eh not even sure I'm getting this game.

Years
While it sounds great on paper, I'm really concern with the whole 2v1 thing that will make games so easy. Imagine you can't beat Brock with Bulbasaur, so you grab 2nd joycon and give 2nd player Oddish. Now you have 2 super effective Pok?mon (probably on the same level as opponents Pok?mon) to battle. But it would be cool to download the trainer into the joycon.

Also this:
Spoiler:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
How exactly does this feature work? I know you shake a joycon and play, but how does the other person get poke balls and pokemon?

As for making the games easier, I think that is the whole point of this game. To make it as easy as possible. If it is possible to play with 2 character alone, then I would probably play 2 character just to make it more fun and an actual adventure. I have always hated that you are own your own in the Pokemon World. Kalos did good, your friends were there with you the entire time, but they didn't get the dev time.

Last edited:

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
Years
How exactly does this feature work? I know you shake a joycon and play, but how does the other person get poke balls and pokemon?

As for making the games easier, I think that is the whole point of this game. To make it as easy as possible. If it is possible to play with 2 character alone, then I would probably play 2 character just to make it more fun and an actual adventure. I have always hated that you are own your own in the Pokemon World. Kalos did good, your friends were there with you the entire time, but they didn't get the dev time.

I believe they use your Pokemon and when you "double catch" your catching the same Mon so it will go into the main players list.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
It sounds cool, but I don't have friends who play Pokemon, so it won't be overly relevant to me...Unless I can convince my non-Pokefan parents to do a battle with me, just for a fun bonding moment. :laugh-squinted:

Actually, I also might use both joycons myself on occasion; not to make the game easier, but because I just love seeing my Pokemon fight alongside each other. ^_^

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
While it sounds great on paper, I'm really concern with the whole 2v1 thing that will make games so easy. Imagine you can't beat Brock with Bulbasaur, so you grab 2nd joycon and give 2nd player Oddish. Now you have 2 super effective Pokémon (probably on the same level as opponents Pokémon) to battle. But it would be cool to download the trainer into the joycon.

Also this:
Spoiler:

I agree that the co-operative mechanic has the potential to make the games incredibly easy. I think its all about how you choose to play that will influence how it affects things like battles. For example, if you and your friend each train three new Pokémon for each gym instead of just going through the game with the same six, the difficulty will obviously be a lot greater. I think it's all about experimenting to see what makes co-operative mode the most enjoyable.

Years
I'm with Zemanahrad's point. I do believe the co-op and its ability to go against an opponent 2 to 1 is only to make this game as easy as possible. Especially if you are both using a Pokemon that's got a massive type advantage over the Gym Leader e.g. Bulbasaur and Squirtle against Brock.

Back