• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
Couple questions from a total beginner

So I decided to play around with some pretty simple hacking stuff. Using the patch, I got the DPSS system working and I figured I might try to add some of the new attacks. I figured the easiest way to do that would be to edit some to the clone attacks (Harder/Defense Curl) into the new ones, and that is also working fine. Now, I just need to edit the attack animations so that X-Scissor doesn't look like howl. I saw this asked a few times, but wasn't really sure I understood the responses. So I have two questions:

1. Can I get a step by step for changing one animation to another; for example giving Howl the Fury Cutter animation? I figured hex editing would be the easiest, but I don't know where the pointers to the attacks are stored to change them.

Also I would like to have wild Deoxys and Mew that will actually obey. Fixing Mew was easy with a hex edit at 0x1D402. Switching 97 (151 in dec) to 00 eliminates the problem.

2. Is there a similar procedure for getting rid of the Deoxys check? I saw a 182 (386 in dec) in the area, but setting it to 000 didn't help.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
That is only half of how to swap palettes in IrfanView - The palettes in the picture are literally swapped, so while the image might have the background colour in its correct place in the palette, you can see that it and another have been swapped in the picture making it look nothing like what it should.

Once you swap the palette, make sure that you save your work as something other than the original file name so you should have the original image which is indexed but has the wrong background palette and the new image which has the correct background palette, but its colours are messed up. Open the original image in Paint or a variation of the program (Apparently the newest Paint doesn't support indexed images) and press Ctrl+C. Open your newest image and paste the old image in - It should be the exact same of the original image, but now you have the transparent colour in its correct position.

That has nothing to do with editing the position of the background colour within a palette.
Yes I know but you can't even edit the palette in Irfanview unless he indexes the image, and he said before it is indexed, which is what I was trying to explain.

Years
Aaaaaand bump. Any help is greatly appreciated since I can't continue my hack without this being solved...

Hello again everyone!

Quick Gold/Silver repointing question:

Trying to repoint the type effectiveness data at 0x34D01 to some blank space at 0x1C1830 (have completely redone strength and weakness chart, need lots more space, total of 126 bytes). Pointer to the original type/weakness table should be 0xD014d, however, my hex editor (Translhextion) will not find the pointers in the search function and cannot be found in Gold Finger, either. It keps saying "string not found." What am I doing wrong? I've done this repoint successfully before... (had to start over from my old hack which got really glitchy)

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
I figured out how to index it correctly.
What you have to do is decrease color depth. you don't really have to change color positions.

-----
If I wanted to how can I index in photo shop?

---
again I edit.
Never mind. the sprite doesn't show up right in game. how can I properly index it ingame and get it to work right?

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Hello again everyone!

Quick Gold/Silver repointing question:

Trying to repoint the type effectiveness data at 0x34D01 to some blank space at 0x1C1830 (have completely redone strength and weakness chart, need lots more space, total of 126 bytes). Pointer to the original type/weakness table should be 0xD014d, however, my hex editor (Translhextion) will not find the pointers in the search function and cannot be found in Gold Finger, either. It keps saying "string not found." What am I doing wrong? I've done this repoint successfully before... (had to start over from my old hack which got really glitchy)

Are you using Hex Search or Text Search? Because if you're searching for a reversed pointer (something like "56 34 12 08"), you need to perform a Hex Search. On top of that, I've found that Translhextion is really iffy with searching for pointers so I almost always use WindHex to do that.

Years
What you have to do is decrease color depth. you don't really have to change color positions.

-----

---
again I edit.
Never mind. the sprite doesn't show up right in game. how can I properly index it ingame and get it to work right?

Use Irfan View to index your sprites. Get it from here~! It's pretty easy to use, you will figure it out. ;)

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years

-----

---
again I edit.
Decrease Color Depth to 16 colors. The color background of your sprite must be first in the palette, so switch the RBG colors of your background with the ones in the first palette (ignore this step if it already is first in the palette). There is more to it, but use this tutorial to finish the rest of the process on inserting your sprites. It works with trainers and Pokemon.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Does anybody know where I can find a battle textbox tutorial (as in, the textbox with your Squirlte's name and health and such)?

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
I'm starting to learn how to hack on Gen 1 games. Specifically, I want to hack Red version. (Not FIRE Red) Where are the best places to learn how to edit maps, scripts, and all that good stuff?

P.S. - For those of you who don't know me, I'm NOT new to hacking/modding/hex editing. I made a hack called Pokemon the Tempest, and it's in the showcase. I'm just looking for a change of pace, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I'm starting to learn how to hack on Gen 1 games. Specifically, I want to hack Red version. (Not FIRE Red) Where are the best places to learn how to edit maps, scripts, and all that good stuff?

P.S. - For those of you who don't know me, I'm NOT new to hacking/modding/hex editing. I made a hack called Pokemon the Tempest, and it's in the showcase. I'm just looking for a change of pace, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.
Well, although Skeetendo is known for Gen II hacking, it has some nice documentation on Gen I hacking as well.

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
Somehow in my ROM hack the title screen got messed up but I thought nothing of it and continued to create my hack. I have gone way to far into my hack now to start over and need to get the title screen fixed as it causes it to freeze when I try to play it on my PSP. The ROM runs fine on visualboy however.

The title screen is fine, except for the pokemon title, it's all messed up.

I tried replacing the title with a working title but I get this error each time I attempt to write it too the ROM: Compressed size: 0x1ACC. Which is too big. Aborting.

Ive seen this sort of error before but the byte size is usually an actual numerical value.

Can someone please help me? I have screen shots of the issues I discussed as well.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Somehow in my ROM hack the title screen got messed up but I thought nothing of it and continued to create my hack. I have gone way to far into my hack now to start over and need to get the title screen fixed as it causes it to freeze when I try to play it on my PSP. The ROM runs fine on visualboy however.

The title screen is fine, except for the pokemon title, it's all messed up.

I tried replacing the title with a working title but I get this error each time I attempt to write it too the ROM: Compressed size: 0x1ACC. Which is too big. Aborting.

Ive seen this sort of error before but the byte size is usually an actual numerical value.

Can someone please help me? I have screen shots of the issues I discussed as well.

0x1ACC IS a numerical value, if you're going to be ROM hacking, you are going to need to familiarize yourself with the Hexadecimal System.
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F, instead of the conventional Decimal System, 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

1 in Deciaml is 0x1 in Hexadecimal
10 in Decimal is 0xA in Hexadecimal
29 in Deciaml is 0x1D in Hexadecimal
99 in Deciaml is 0x63 in Hexadecimal

(Always be sure to include the 0x prefix, or the &H prefix before using any Hexadecimal Numbers, so we know you're using Hexadecimal. (0x is probably the best to use, since it's a very common thing when ROM hacking, and others may not know what you are saying.))

BASICALLY, unLZgba (Or whatever program you are working with) is telling you that the thing you are trying to insert is too large to fit into the space the ORIGINAL title screen is.

Instead of trying to overwrite, you'll need to repoint.

Try inserting the title screen into a space in the ROM that has 0x1ACC Bytes (In Decimal, that's 6860 Bytes) of free space. Free Space Finder, or a little common sense with a HEX Editor is what you'll want to use for this.

After you get the free space, insert everything you need with unLZgba, for instance, you wanna insert a new title screen image, well, go to the image you want to overwrite in unLZgba, and import it, making sure that it REPOINTS the data, and that you are inserting it into a biiiig chunk of free space.

Continue to do this with everything you need to insert, and there shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Though I am concerned...
If you weren't messing with the title screen and it just happened to get messed up, you may have overwritten more than that, potentially screwing up everything you've done so far.

I suggest you take precautions before fixing it, and if in the end trying to fix it makes it worse, I suggest finding someone with more experience than yourself to do it for you, or at least tutor you in how to do it. (Mind you there are plenty of very informative tutorials in the Documents and Tutorials section of the forums.)

Have fun!

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
0x1ACC IS a numerical value, if you're going to be ROM hacking, you are going to need to familiarize yourself with the Hexadecimal System.
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F, instead of the conventional Decimal System, 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

1 in Deciaml is 0x1 in Hexadecimal
10 in Decimal is 0xA in Hexadecimal
29 in Deciaml is 0x1D in Hexadecimal
99 in Deciaml is 0x63 in Hexadecimal

(Always be sure to include the 0x prefix, or the &H prefix before using any Hexadecimal Numbers, so we know you're using Hexadecimal. (0x is probably the best to use, since it's a very common thing when ROM hacking, and others may not know what you are saying.))

BASICALLY, unLZgba (Or whatever program you are working with) is telling you that the thing you are trying to insert is too large to fit into the space the ORIGINAL title screen is.

Instead of trying to overwrite, you'll need to repoint.

Try inserting the title screen into a space in the ROM that has 0x1ACC Bytes (In Decimal, that's 6860 Bytes) of free space. Free Space Finder, or a little common sense with a HEX Editor is what you'll want to use for this.

After you get the free space, insert everything you need with unLZgba, for instance, you wanna insert a new title screen image, well, go to the image you want to overwrite in unLZgba, and import it, making sure that it REPOINTS the data, and that you are inserting it into a biiiig chunk of free space.

Continue to do this with everything you need to insert, and there shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Though I am concerned...
If you weren't messing with the title screen and it just happened to get messed up, you may have overwritten more than that, potentially screwing up everything you've done so far.

I suggest you take precautions before fixing it, and if in the end trying to fix it makes it worse, I suggest finding someone with more experience than yourself to do it for you, or at least tutor you in how to do it. (Mind you there are plenty of very informative tutorials in the Documents and Tutorials section of the forums.)

Have fun!

Thank you very much, I did as you said and it was able to fix my problem. I was worried about posting my question on here, as I am, as you can tell new to a lot of concepts in ROM hacking. I appreciate the help. I think I understand HEX to a better degree now as well.

If it isn't too much of a hassle, would you know off hand where I could find the pikachu at the introduction in unLZgba? Ive looked through so many times I guess I keep missing it.

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Thank you very much, I did as you said and it was able to fix my problem. I was worried about posting my question on here, as I am, as you can tell new to a lot of concepts in ROM hacking. I appreciate the help. I think I understand HEX to a better degree now as well.

If it isn't too much of a hassle, would you know off hand where I could find the pikachu at the introduction in unLZgba? Ive looked through so many times I guess I keep missing it.

I don't remember where pikachu is located off hand, though if you've gone through unLZgba and you've never seen it, it might not be LZ77 compressed data. (In wich case you'll need to use a program such as Tile Molester to find it.)
Though I can explain how to find it manually, if you're willing to read through a pretty long post...
(I advise you look through the Documents and Tutorials section first though, I'm absolutely sure that information has either been posted there, or is somewhere in this thread... I suggest searching posts for 'Pikachu Intro Offset')

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2011
Someone help please..

Im looking for the original A-text tool, I do not like using the Xtreme editor or any others because Advanced Text was one that I did good with until Wahack was shut down. Can someone please give me a download link to one that works? other sites i tried getting it from had something missing and I just gave up and trashed the file because Icouldnt find what it was talking about. Thanks

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
how do you edit behavior bytes? I made a new grassy patch and I want to make a new animation for it.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
how do you edit behavior bytes? I made a new grassy patch and I want to make a new animation for it.

I'm afraid there's no way of editing Behaviour bytes on a ROM, unless you can hex edit it and change it with a different kind of data.

You can only change the behavior on AdvanceMap, by clicking Block Editor while you've got a map opened on AdvanceMap. When you have, you can click that drop-down list that has all the different kinds of behavior bytes. Like you can change a grass animation to a high grass animation for instance. ;)

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
I don't remember where pikachu is located off hand, though if you've gone through unLZgba and you've never seen it, it might not be LZ77 compressed data. (In wich case you'll need to use a program such as Tile Molester to find it.)
Though I can explain how to find it manually, if you're willing to read through a pretty long post...
(I advise you look through the Documents and Tutorials section first though, I'm absolutely sure that information has either been posted there, or is somewhere in this thread... I suggest searching posts for 'Pikachu Intro Offset')

Really appreciate it man. I will look for it! Thanks again!

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I'm afraid there's no way of editing Behaviour bytes on a ROM, unless you can hex edit it and change it with a different kind of data.

You can only change the behavior on AdvanceMap, by clicking Block Editor while you've got a map opened on AdvanceMap. When you have, you can click that drop-down list that has all the different kinds of behavior bytes. Like you can change a grass animation to a high grass animation for instance. ;)

Actually, you CAN add new animations from scratch, there is a tutorial for that in the Document's and Tutorials Section. (OR it's in the Research and Development section... can't remember off the top of my head.)

The tutorial explains adding new animations, like flowers. (The tutorial shows off this by basing the tutorial on adding a new set of flowers, though the same principle can be attributed to water, fountains, windmills, etc etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back