• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: TL's Quick Enhancer (~Making rom hacking faster and easier)

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
INTRODUCTION

ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD LINK!
Lately lots of people have been asking about the download link of the tool. I tried to tell everyone for a while now that I am no longer working on the tool becuase of the dissaembly projects. But it seems lots of people are still doing the traditional binary hacking.

Even though I am still not working on the tool anymore. But There are some old versions still available.
Thanks to TrainerX493, for putting the tool around so that other users can use it.

The post can be found ----> here <-----
But still using this tool is not the best option. And there will be no official support for this tool. You will have to use it at your own risk. And most importantly do not forget to make backups before and after using the tool or making any general edit to the game.

Hello Guys,
Its me "The_Learner", back again amongst you, but this time with a tool made by me....
So I came up with this tool which I called "TL's Quick Enhancer".

SUPPORTED ROM :
Fire Red and Emerald
I am planning to stick with these two only, as most of the hackers use only these bases for making a rom-hack.

All the details are for the previous version of the tool and may not match with the one mentioned above.
Spoiler:

Credit List:
The credit list was around the second page, but then I shifted it here.
also
special Thanks to Gamer2020 for his tool PGE. whose reference is taken to build this app,
also some of the functions are used in this release available.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

DTD

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 15, 2018
hey =)) nice idea. Can't wait for futher releases

DTD

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 15, 2018
The tool seems to be fine for me.. but I have some questions. This tool can also works with hacked-rom, right? I haven't tried yet, so I'm very curious
Oh! I have just came up with some crazy idea =) . I'm wondering if there is any chance you would be able to enhance more!, I mean, Iv displaying and bw repel system,.etc.. is awesome, but what above importing new " hp bar", "battle background" and "text box" (if you know what I mean xD)? Your tool could go into some kind of Tool wall of fame if you can do that, right =) ?

Last edited:

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
The tool seems to be fine for me.. but I have some questions. This tool can also works with hacked-rom, right? I haven't tried yet, so I'm very curious
Oh! I have just came up with some crazy idea =) . I'm wondering if there is any chance you would be able to enhance more!, I mean, Iv displaying and bw repel system,.etc.. is awesome, but what above importing new " hp bar", "battle background" and "text box" (if you know what I mean xD)? Your tool could go into some kind of Tool wall of fame if you can do that, right =) ?
Well of-course it will work with hack in progress... I am trying it to build in that way...
Well the idea you came up with, I am also thinking about those... but they would require more knowledge so they will also be included in the future releases(Not so sure though!)

Cool. Don't forget to credit the researchers for their work as well :)
Well probably not gonna forget that...
I am planning to make a seperate tab for credit list :)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 25, 2021
pss icons? what're you gonna do with them??
anyways the tool looks good, haven't tried it yet, but will look out for future releases
keep it up :D

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
It's cool that you're learning how to program and can make a tool like this, but most of the features you're planning or that are being suggested are things that I'd rather implement myself. It's super easy and quick to do the already implemented stuff in a hex editor, and I wouldn't trust this to repoint things when I could do it manually and put it exactly where I want it to be.

BadEgg~

Pokémon: Volant Version Developer
Years
It's cool that you're learning how to program and can make a tool like this, but most of the features you're planning or that are being suggested are things that I'd rather implement myself. It's super easy and quick to do the already implemented stuff in a hex editor, and I wouldn't trust this to repoint things when I could do it manually and put it exactly where I want it to be.

Then this tool isn't for you. Tools/patches like these that add all these features are aimed at people who often just wanna mess around with ROM hacking or want to get into it for the purpose of telling a story without having to invest weeks into learning the nitty gritty of ROM hacking. This tool makes ROM hacking much more accessible to newer hackers.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Then this tool isn't for you. Tools/patches like these that add all these features are aimed at people who often just wanna mess around with ROM hacking or want to get into it for the purpose of telling a story without having to invest weeks into learning the nitty gritty of ROM hacking. This tool makes ROM hacking much more accessible to newer hackers.

I don't see how opening up a hex editor, using goto to go to an offset that is literally given to you in the research post, doing the small byte changes that are literally given to you in the research post, saving the file, and exiting the hex editor is weeks of nitty gritty. I could do this right now faster than downloading, unzipping, and using this program would be.

EDIT: The nitty gritty learning was done for you, by the person who researched these byte changes.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
pss icons? what're you gonna do with them??
anyways the tool looks good, haven't tried it yet, but will look out for future releases
keep it up :D
I am gonna make this tool to insert the pss icons....
But you will have to do the pss patch yourself...

Edit: I dont know if you used this tool or not, but it inserts the pss image and indeed even apply the pss patch...

I don't see how opening up a hex editor, using goto to go to an offset that is literally given to you in the research post, doing the small byte changes that are literally given to you in the research post, saving the file, and exiting the hex editor is weeks of nitty gritty. I could do this right now faster than downloading, unzipping, and using this program would be.

EDIT: The nitty gritty learning was done for you, by the person who researched these byte changes.
Well the thing is you are also right,
But beginner hackers find difficult messing with hex and asm..
So the main purpose of this tool is to help them with inserting aome awesome fratures in their rom until they learn these things by themself...
And also to save the time :)

Last edited:
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Personally love this ^_^

Thank you The_learner,
I do however find learning how to do it all without a tool to be very important in really learning but I also like to save time....
One reason for most of the amazing ASM routines not being in hacks it not because of complexity but because of time....
Though complexity does come into play which is why the community and tutorials are here.

Also if you can @The_learner could you make it able for the user to add their own routines?
Also could you had the routines from the Hacked Engine 1.1 tool as well?
That tool is long past overdue for an updated version

What else are you planing to add to the tool if I may ask?

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Personally love this ^_^

Thank you The_learner,
I do however find learning how to do it all without a tool to be very important in really learning but I also like to save time....
One reason for most of the amazing ASM routines not being in hacks it not because of complexity but because of time....
Though complexity does come into play which is why the community and tutorials are here.

Also if you can @The_learner could you make it able for the user to add their own routines?

What else are you planing to add to the tool if I may ask?

Well I hardly understood what you tried to say....
Code:
Are you asking me to make it something like asm compiler ????

Code:
and about these, are you asking the features of Hacked Engine 1.1 or what else ??

Code:
Couldn't understand that as well !!!

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Well I hardly understood what you tried to say....
Code:
Are you asking me to make it something like asm compiler ????

Code:
and about these, are you asking the features of Hacked Engine 1.1 or what else ??

Code:
Couldn't understand that as well !!!

Ok then let me rephrase then...

1. Can you make a feature so the user of the tool could add their own compiled routines?
Could just let the User choose what offset to use....

2. I mean can you add the Routines from the Fire Red Hacked Engine as the source comes with it?
Doing this one though would might just need a new tool all around...

Code:
Was just talking about the Fire Red Hacked Engine 1.1 tool

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Ok then let me rephrase then...

1. Can you make a feature so the user of the tool could add their own compiled routines?
Could just let the User choose what offset to use....

2. I mean can you add the Routines from the Fire Red Hacked Engine as the source comes with it?
Doing this one though would might just need a new tool all around...

Code:
Was just talking about the Fire Red Hacked Engine 1.1 tool

1. yes the choosing the offest thing is to be included...
If you are saying to inserth the routine in a fixed offset...
(like inserting the pokemon name table at offset 0x800000)

2. Haha.. This time also I totally didnt get it, but if you asking for the features of Hacked engine then its not sure right now !!!

Years
It's cool that you're learning programming by making poke-related tools, but I don't think they're really necessary. All it does is change a few bytes and it takes like 5 seconds in a hex editor.
If someone thinks that's too hard, then romhacking isn't for them.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
It's cool that you're learning programming by making poke-related tools, but I don't think they're really necessary. All it does is change a few bytes and it takes like 5 seconds in a hex editor.
If someone thinks that's too hard, then romhacking isn't for them.

I dont know why,
Everytime i try to do something for the rom havking community... people often tell me that I am wasting my time doing so...
Even if its like making a patch(people demotivated me telling there are a lot of patches already)
And while making a tool(telling that it is easy task)
But neither time noone understand my effort and will to contribute something towars rom hacking..
I am totally screwed and pissed off!!!

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Feb 28, 2022
Hey I like it! I was planning to do something like this just in a different Language (Python, as I am studying it). If you ever decide to make the switch to python I'd be happy to help :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
While people are correct in saying that the things this tool does are very easy to do by hand in a hex editor, I'd say they're tedious to do that way when you're going to want to do them for every new hack you make if you habitually restart (ahem) so this is a nice thing to have around.

It'd be helpful if your Github repository contained the project file and other resources so that others can clone it and compile it easily. As it is, if I wanted to try out your code I'd have to reconstruct the UI using only the event hooks you've left as clues to what's what.

You should also include a license statement (I'm a fan of the GPL, but there's also BSD with varying numbers of clauses, MIT and others) since as written nobody else is actually legally allowed to contribute (if you don't specify some form of licensing the default is "all rights reserved").

You've also got some blank event handlers in "My code" for clicking on labels which aren't actually needed—if you don't know how to fix that then I can do it for you once you publish the full project rather than just a couple of .cs files.

Back