• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's make Spiritomb viable

Sirfetch’d

This is a new series I've been wanting to try out and I think that it could be fun! The goal is to take a Pokemon that currently resides in a lower tier and make changes to it that makes it competitively viable in the OU metagame. These changes can include a new ability, a change in base stats, tweaks to it's current movepool, etc. Obviously these need to stay within reason and keep to the thematic of the Pokemon, of course. The Pokemon's typing must stay the same.

To start things off, let's take a look at Spiritomb. Currently Spiritomb is sitting in the PU tier and is no longer remotely viable in OU. It is slow, it is outclassed by other ghost Pokemon, and it no longer has no weaknesses with the introduction of Fairy types. It also isn't particularly bulky enough to keep up with the current power creep. How can we make this guy a bit better?

Spr_5b_442.png

Abilities: Pressure, Infiltrator
Base stats:
HP: 50
Attack: 92
Defense: 108
Sp.Atk: 92
Sp.Def: 108
Speed: 35

Years
Well, Infiltrator is a good ability already since it can status you through Substitute and it already has an excellent typing. I think was it really needs is just an increase to bulk and more reliable recovery. That would definitely push it up a few tiers but in OU it is always going to have very strong competition from Mega Sableye.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
1. Recover
2. Prankster
3. +10 in HP

Bam! A decent Mega Sableye clone that saves us a Mega Slot.

Years
1. Recover
2. Prankster
3. +10 in HP

Bam! A decent Mega Sableye clone that saves us a Mega Slot.

Infiltrator is a better option than Prankster since you can still Poison or Burn people through Substitute which can cause problems for the sort of teams it'd be used on.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Give it Wonder Guard like gen 4 hackers used to do lol.

Last edited:
Years
Give it Wonder Guard like gen 4 hackers used to do lol.

The truest of tech. I still get flashbacks about this.

Moving on....more HP would help Spiritomb be useful. Flat out. 50 HP with stats like that is absurd considering how slow Spiritomb is, which means you HAVE to rely on good reads with the Sucker Punch or you get took out. 60-65 would be nice, MAYBE 70. I wouldn't mind Recover being in the learnset.

Regarding the ability...I do think Infiltrator is really good, but I'm gonna throw out other ideas just to stir the pot.

Analytic
I definitely think there are FAR better options I could pick, but if Spiritomb is gonna be stuck moving at snail pace, you might as well let it hit harder...

Magic Guard
I ain't even gotta explain this one. Although considering Spiritomb's natural bulk, this might be a little too much.

Regenerator
Spiritomb's HP is already bad. This would help keep Spiritomb around for a bit longer.

Back