• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Discussion for starters in my fan game

Best typing for Charizard

• Fire/Flying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aryan 10

Battle Legend
Years
I am working on a FireRed hack and I am changing the types of Fully-evolved starter pokemon.
I want some suggestions for this. Please give me suggestions on ability that will balance it.
In this fan game, Bulbasaur and Ivysaur are pure grass types. Venusaur is Grass/Poison and Blastoise is Water/Steel.

Venusaur Ability
- Overgrow
- Chlorophyll
- Thick Fat

Charizard Ability
- Blaze
- Drought
- Levitate

Blastoise Ability
- Torrent
- Rain Dish

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 6, 2019
Charizard should be Fire + Dragon, I think. Maybe give it Levitate for an ability, given that it will lose its Flying type?

FSBS

Defunct
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
Here's why Charizard IS NOT a dragon:

Charizard evolves from Charmeleon, which itself evolves from Charmander. Basically: Salamander, Chameleon, Lizard + Char.

Now, what is Charmander? It's a salamander. Salamanders are amphibians - the irony here is that while Charmander is amphibious, it is weak to water! The very element that separates (in the most tertiary of ways) amphibians from lizards. I seem to recall a myth from ancient Europe that says that salamanders are born in flame; obviously burning logs and fleeing salamanders.

So you see, the very basis of Charmander is on an amphibious creature colored by myth. That it happens to grow horns, wings, and look much like a common western European dragon is coincidence; though not by design. Perhaps in the early stages of development Charizard WAS dragon/flying before typing was hammered out, but supposition has no place here.

Now take Gyarados. Why is it water/flying rather than water/dragon? Gyarados LOOKS like a traditional Eastern dragon. But what does it evolve from? A myth-colored goldfish - much like our fire salamander.

Now let's talk Dratini - why is it dragon? It looks like a worm, as does Dragonair, and then you have Dragonite the Orange Fairy Dinosaur. Well it LOOKS fairy-ish, why isn't it fairy subtype? You got me there, but I subscribe to the notion that Fairy typing applies to humanoid or otherwise strange, not-quite-normal "normal" types. Rattatta is fairly normal compared to something like Clefairy, after all. We can go on to argue why Chansey and Blissey aren't fairy-types, but I'm not going into that.

And then there's Garchomp - it's a walking shark! How the hell is it dragon? Salamence looks like a dragon as much as Charizard does, and evolves from a shell that evolves from the mini-me of T-rexes! What about Tyrantrum, which is basically a T-rex? I could go on forever!

Hopefully you get my point - just because it is shaped like a dragon does not necessarily MAKE it a dragon.

Adding a type unnecessarily may also lead to more disadvantages than advantages, and Blastoise doesn't learn any steel moves so why give it steel sub?

Aryan 10

Battle Legend
Years
Here's why Charizard IS NOT a dragon:

Charizard evolves from Charmeleon, which itself evolves from Charmander. Basically: Salamander, Chameleon, Lizard Char.

Now, what is Charmander? It's a salamander. Salamanders are amphibians - the irony here is that while Charmander is amphibious, it is weak to water! The very element that separates (in the most tertiary of ways) amphibians from lizards. I seem to recall a myth from ancient Europe that says that salamanders are born in flame; obviously burning logs and fleeing salamanders.

So you see, the very basis of Charmander is on an amphibious creature colored by myth. That it happens to grow horns, wings, and look much like a common western European dragon is coincidence; though not by design. Perhaps in the early stages of development Charizard WAS dragon/flying before typing was hammered out, but supposition has no place here.

Now take Gyarados. Why is it water/flying rather than water/dragon? Gyarados LOOKS like a traditional Eastern dragon. But what does it evolve from? A myth-colored goldfish - much like our fire salamander.

Now let's talk Dratini - why is it dragon? It looks like a worm, as does Dragonair, and then you have Dragonite the Orange Fairy Dinosaur. Well it LOOKS fairy-ish, why isn't it fairy subtype? You got me there, but I subscribe to the notion that Fairy typing applies to humanoid or otherwise strange, not-quite-normal "normal" types. Rattatta is fairly normal compared to something like Clefairy, after all. We can go on to argue why Chansey and Blissey aren't fairy-types, but I'm not going into that.

And then there's Garchomp - it's a walking shark! How the hell is it dragon? Salamence looks like a dragon as much as Charizard does, and evolves from a shell that evolves from the mini-me of T-rexes! What about Tyrantrum, which is basically a T-rex? I could go on forever!

Hopefully you get my point - just because it is shaped like a dragon does not necessarily MAKE it a dragon.

Adding a type unnecessarily may also lead to more disadvantages than advantages, and Blastoise doesn't learn any steel moves so why give it steel sub?

Oh I get it.... But I am giving Steel type to Blastoise because Venusaur & Charizard gets two types but Blastoise gets only one....

And I am editing the movesets too and I am giving Blastoise three steel moves - Iron Defense, Iron Tail, Skull Bash(Now Steel type) Blastoise Ability will be Rain Dish

Ok then Charizard will remain Fire/Flying..... But If I give it Drought something will unbalanced Ok then I will give it Solar Power.....

Venusaur's ability will be Chlorophyll because Thick Fat will unbalance it..........

I got my answer.... Moderator please close this thread

Thanks​

Back