• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Academy

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
For a long time, I've been toying with an idea of doing a Pokemon academy game using Kanto and Johto regions as the main location.

After having this idea for over 5 years and not making any headway on it, for various reasons, I'm wondering if perhaps I'm approaching it wrong.

I am posting here to layout mostly what I want to do, and ask for some advice if I'm approaching this idea right, or if I need to do something else.

No screenshots as I haven't done anything in Essentials yet, aside from importing a map pack from this site which has mostly all exterior shots of Kanto and Johto done, despite some glaring inconsistenties which I need to fix.

My idea is this: You want to start a pokemon journey as you have just turned 18, but the region you are in doesn't let new trainers train pokemon due to the exponential increase in crimminal pokemon activities. As a result, you are sent to Kanto which has been freed of crime thanks to Red's actions 15 years ago. Team Rocket is no longer a crimminal organization, instead since the return of Giovanni, and his new outlook on life, he has repurposed Team Rocket as ???? (something positive that I haven't thought of yet, sorry). You often will recieve assistance from team rocket members, and they have kept the name, but no longer is it associated with evil. All recruits have been reformed.

You will travel between Kanto and Johto doing your best to collect every pokemon up to Genesect. Pokemon have migrated from Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova to make homes in Kanto and Johto. As both regions are connected by a simple small pond in between New Bark town, and route 27, trainers and pokemon across those 5 regions have been able to make homes for themselves in Kanto and Johto.

Both of these regions have been declared safehouses, a safe haven for players to train and become the best they can be before going out and becoming official pokemon trainers. Your task, to defeat all 16 gyms in Kanto and Johto, battle and win at the elite 4 and the champion, and if your daring, to climb Mt. Silver, and face off against Red. Are you up to the challenge?

This is my basic idea. It has actually been rewritten from another idea I had long ago, and several names of characters will be changed while keeping the same sprites for the most part. Unless that is a problem for anyone who would want to play this. I was reading a game thread this morning from about 6 years ago and one point made was the more desirable idea of using custom sprites for characters opposed to default. While I agree custom sprites would be better, I have zero talent for spriting. I tried. Everything I tried to get something decent looked like it was done by some child who doesn't know how to use a computer.

If this project gets off the ground, I will formally request some help in getting a few custom sprites, most preferebly, a new male and female protagonist, as I would prefer not to use the sprites for gold and silver.

Last edited by a moderator:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
If I am not supposed to post here when no one else has, then I'm sorry. But I wanted to post for anyone interested this idea I have has blown up into what is turning into a complex story web. When I have enough material to show I will post a formal game thread with my game and it's development.

In case my signature fails again, my game will be called Pokemon Erison.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Sounds intriguing. If you need any help then hit me up. I can't really sprite, but could help with story/writing, some scripting maybe, art.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Thanks for the offer. I haven't done anything major in essentials yet. I want to get the story done before I start doing major work in the engine. Past experience with other projects has taught me if I don't have the story outlined before I start work on the engine, then I start to get burned out and lose interest.

So far I'm liking the story I've written. Still a lot of issues with it but I'll get them ironed out. I will try not to repeat the problem I did when I posted my first game, bronze.

Back