The PokéCommunity Forums Community Square Feedback & Support
Important PokéCommunity GTXV Feedback

Feedback & Support All things related to PokéCommunity, from feedback and ideas to support and questions.

Old October 2nd, 2017 (1:31 PM). Edited October 2nd, 2017 by BlazingCobaltX.
良かったー

Nature: Hardy
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquacorde View Post
    other thoughts: i wish the SWC had let people have a few more days to write- the timeframe seemed short in comparison to other creative events. i wish there were more creative competitions as opposed to video games and trivia. more of an emphasis on teamwork would have been nice. i liked the lore comp- not just bc we won! bc it was creative teamwork. CAH and EM would have been good additions. uhhh i may think of more later
    Agreed, and this is why I didn't participate myself. I was busy with college stuff and the days given for the SWC were just so little in my perspective that I didn't bother to try. I know I need a few days to let my story sit for a bit. I think there's no harm in starting the SWC from the start of the event, and letting people have more than a week to submit their stories.

EDIT: This was written without reading the respective response, sorry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
    Agreed. I missed out on the movie nights because I had work and other commitments. If the events continue throughout the year, then more people can join in or even run different events. There's no reason why the spirit of the GT has to exist only during two weeks of the year.
    Could we have a kind of committee or Event Organizer for these kind of events running through the year? I think this would definitely be a welcomed concept, especially by PC regulars. Everyone could participate in anything if they're planned at different moments every time, too.

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 2nd, 2017 (2:14 PM). Edited October 2nd, 2017 by icomeanon6.
    It's "I Come Anon"

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
      And as I've seen from some posts, the other teams were disadvantaged due to the timing since there was a lot of people having to be occupied with real life stuff. Hence, Doctrina, Vestigo and Consortia had less active members in the events than Gloria did.
      Honestly, that seems like random chance to me. If you divide all of PC into four teams, the odds that they'll be perfectly balanced are slim however you handle the division. There's no change to the rules we can make that will make it more likely that each house will have the same proportion of people with plenty of spare time over three weeks (and it's not like nobody in Gloria had real life stuff going on). If the other teams were disadvantaged, it wasn't for any predictable reason, which means it was just a bad break and not a real "disadvantage." If we ran the exact same teams against each other next year, any team could get a good or bad break.

We see these kinds of results in professional sports all the time: Team A doubles Team B's score one day, and then Team B doubles Team A's score the next day. Point disparities that seem high aren't necessarily unreasonable, and they don't necessarily reflect any unfairness in the competition or the team composition.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by BlazingCobaltX
      Agreed, and this is why I didn't participate myself. I was busy with college stuff and the days given for the SWC were just so little in my perspective that I didn't bother to try. I know I need a few days to let my story sit for a bit. I think there's no harm in starting the SWC from the start of the event, and letting people have more than a week to submit their stories.
      Like Astinus said, the more time that's given to writing, the less time that's given to judging. I've judged the contest before, and it's a serious challenge to give each story the attention it deserves in the time allotted. It's not reasonable for us to ask the judges to read and review 20 short stories in less than a week (and if the time for submitting goes up, the number of submissions also goes up and just compounds the problem). The bottom line is, if the number of entries is too high, then judging will have to extend beyond the length of the GT, and nobody really wants that.

EDIT: Just saw your edit, glad we're all on the same page.

One more thing I'll say re: SWC from a writer's perspective is that the contest has always been about speed and time management. Writing a (mostly) decent story in a hurry and proofreading it in a hurry is a skill, and it's one that writers can practice and improve at. If we want another contest that's all about writing something in a more comfortable amount of time, I think that would work best outside the narrow constraints of the Get-Together. The GT as it is is (fairly) well-sized for a genuine writing-blitz competition, which is what we've had for years.
      Old October 2nd, 2017 (2:25 PM).
      CONSORTIAAAAA

Nature: Adamant
        Normally, a week for SWC would have been just fine. The thing is, over the week of the SWC this year I had a single free day. One. Considering the amount of obligations people have this time of year, I would have wanted to see the prompt released a few days early or something to compensate. It's kind of whatever since future GTs will likely be in July/August again, but it's something to note.

queen consortia

my art

roleplay theatre

past of the past
        Old October 2nd, 2017 (2:55 PM). Edited October 2nd, 2017 by Kip.
        FireFox | 綿毛火狐

Nature: Rash
        So Re: Movie Nights :P Let's break this all down.

First of all, the two Movie Night events were completely separate from each other and run by different hosts. The only real interaction we had was to make sure that our nights didn't clash. Other than that, we went our separate ways. We had a different scheduling pattern (Pokémon Movie Night had two showings per movie for different timezones, Movie Night just had one showing per movie), so therefore different points were awarded (Pokémon Movie Night awarded a one-off 15 points at the end of the GT for any attendance, Movie Night awarded 2 point per stream attended).

Since we also had vastly different broadcast content (Pokémon Movie Night showed pretitles, Pikachu shorts, extended scenes and the Blu-Ray copy of the movie, Movie Night just showed the movie), we used a streaming service best suited to us. Movie Night used Rabb.it, which uses more modern web standards, supports voice chat, has no content ID but requires an app to watch on mobile and does not support Safari. Pokémon Movie Night used Livestream, an older standard that requires Flash on desktop but supports direct streaming, has no content ID, does not require an app to watch on mobile and is supported across all web browsers. It would not have been possible to use Rabb.it for Pokémon Movie Night - I'm not sure about the other way around.

Tbh I'd love to move away from Livestream, but as far as I can find, no other streaming service has the specific cocktail we need (no app required, no registration required, full HD streaming, Low, Medium & High quality options, no content ID, chatroom, supported in all web browsers and mobile). More modern services, such as Twitch or YouTube, will likely detect we're showing Pokémon movies and ban the channel (regardless of fair use). Services like Rabb.it are good but only if you use the built in web browser to show movies, which isn't possible for the kind of broadcast we've come to expect from Pokémon Movie Night.

If anyone has any suggestions for alternatives, I'd love to hear them.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Mewtwolover View Post
        Low attendance in Mewtwo Strikes Back stream wasn't wonder because it was the crappy 4Kids version. Stream the original Japanese version next time, it's a lot better. Another thing which explains low attendance in general is that Flash was required for watching the stream.
        Considering that a) we're an English-language forum, b) we've always shown the 4Kids dub, c) it was the extended edition with all the scenes 4Kids edited out put back in and d) we've used the same streaming service and Flash for many years and it's previously been popular, I doubt that any of this contributed significantly to low numbers this year in comparison to previous years.

I think it's more likely due to the GT being held in September. People have work or school commitments. I remember this happening with PCX as well - that being said, PCXV seemed much more active than that, so we're doing something right.

Old October 2nd, 2017 (3:03 PM).
        That's Deneb, Altair, and Vega.

Nature: Lax

Just bringing up the September date, I don't think the Get-Together is such a second-by-second must-participate event that requires you to spend a few hours on PC. We can make further efforts to ensure Event Organizers account for how busy people can get, but you shouldn't feel the need to be on every single day for the 15 days available. It's why it was held for 15 days, after all.

Also in response to feedback about putting up a daily events list, I didn't feel that was necessary because almost every single event would run for most / the entirety of the Get-Together. The movie night as a significant aside.

Old October 2nd, 2017 (3:27 PM).
        It's "I Come Anon"

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Aquacorde View Post
          Normally, a week for SWC would have been just fine. The thing is, over the week of the SWC this year I had a single free day. One. Considering the amount of obligations people have this time of year, I would have wanted to see the prompt released a few days early or something to compensate. It's kind of whatever since future GTs will likely be in July/August again, but it's something to note.
          I sympathize, really, but the fact of the matter is that the last time the SWC had this many entrants was in 2011. So this was already an unusually high-volume year for the judges, and if we'd started earlier it would have only made it tougher on them to get scores back in time for the house competition. It's one of the most demanding events of the GT, and no matter what time of year it starts there are always really good writers who don't have the time to participate for one reason or another. I don't see that changing as long as the contest is tied to the Get-Together.

I hope next year works out better for you.
          Old October 2nd, 2017 (3:57 PM). Edited October 2nd, 2017 by colours.
          living limitless

Nature: Quiet
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by EvilChameleon View Post
          If we took away participation points... what would the scoreboard have looked like?
          Ran the calculations out of curiosity myself and honestly it wouldn't be that different:

Gloria - 2966
          Doctrina - 2191
          Consortia - 1661
          Vestigo - 1335

This is not to deny the significance of participation points themselves, but rather placement points outweighed them.

i'll be waiting until the sky falls down

Old October 2nd, 2017 (4:26 PM).
          CONSORTIAAAAA

Nature: Adamant
            l would like to once again note that September is a high-commitment time of year for most everyone and that using myself as an example does not mean that I was the only one affected- when the GT is held at a less demanding time of year there is more time for both writers and judges to fulfill their roles. My point is that I would like to have seen some measures taken to accommodate for that in some way, not "boohoo I wanted to write too" (even though yes, that was the case). But this was an unusual year, and we figure it out as we go.

queen consortia

my art

roleplay theatre

past of the past
            Old October 2nd, 2017 (5:08 PM).
            Worrisome, but also Charming

Nature: Timid
              Well, most of what I can say has been said already, but I just wanted to emphasize on a couple of things that I felt like while going around knowing about the GTXV and taking part of.

The September date was a nuisance, but not one that you people would probably have expected: it just happened to be on a week that has four (four!) days dedicated to a "long weekend" National holiday for my country, so a good portion of my time was actually spend being able to look, but not really able to take part. It's a thing that happens, I guess. But I did get a palpable impression that people who were participating were less into it -or at least, steadily busier- than in previous years.

I gave a glance at some of the events, in particular the movie nights and the games, but never tried to take part in (writing for SWC is quite an interesting challenge). However, I suspect that as a Linux laptop user I would not have been able to meaningfully take part in either of those events without some serious thought and implementation put forth in search of compatibility. Both events required Flash (in 2017) and a little bit more of setup if you have an ad-blocker than if you don't.

For gaming: I would hope to see more focus on emulators, in particular web-based ones, as time goes on; as most well developed emulators are multiplatform too and they can thus normalize the experience across players. Alas, I don't have any idea of how advanced the web-based emulators are at this point nor what games are there available as a demonstration (althugh I think it's fair to expect Doom to be among the ones).

For movie night: I have to seriously question why HD streaming is a requirement if we are airing movies from pre-2003. Dropping that requirement raises the compatibility reach for a number of reasons including both browser support and connectivity support. Flash is also an issue, but it is being well phased out by browsers already.

If I understood their technical advances I'd probably suggest Icecast as a service for future movie nights; at the time being however I have to say either stick with Livestream (looking for a way without Flash tho) or just Macgyver our own. If "multitasking the event" is an option: I've been part of a "watch-this" minicommunity for a while where we air movies via a standard RTMP service (can be watched without plugins by Firefox, or by video players like VLC) and we just have a Jabber chatroom aside using Pidgin or Conversations in an aside window. Worst case scenario, you can just near-maximize the player window and use the space left by the black bands above or below and position your chat window there.

"Serving our own content" (or "directing to a known reliable storage") also gets rid of the problem of the external provider would outright ban the channel etc., which is a boon considering it's a one-time limited private showcase. (Considering that currently the movies are being aired in event anyway, I'd argue that this does not significantly alter the event's potential legal standing)

Regarding the SWC which I took part of: I mostly make it into this sort of contests (in this community or others) thanks to the deadlines, as I am both verbose by nature and not on hire as a writer (unfortunately). And with that, for several years the judges have been doing a I think not trivial sacrifice taking the extra hits for us writers. SO I understand that ti is complicated and appreciate much that they managed to get it done. if I had a suggestion would be to try and allot the time for submitting the entries across if possible two weekends (ie.: from Saturday1 to Sunday2), or to release the prompt a couple hours before the official start of the event, as that gives a bit more margin for the various potential contestants to have found out by the time the GT starts.

I'm not really a Discord user, due to distrust and personal preference, so that entire side of the event was lost to me. However, I do get the impression that the platform is in technical terms quite well fit for some of the events (...hmmm, it *is* a plaform for chatting while gaming...) so I want to see it thrive, so long as it is not a requirement.

The Suocéverse - Pokémon Stuff

IntroductionOfficial Wiki

SWC Entries
              : Playfield 2009 : Misaimed for Life 2014 :
              As They Were 2016 : Simpler than Magic 2017 :

Other Releases
              : Pseudo-Legendary : Silly human, romance is for Nidoran! (Valentine's : Tricks of the Love Fast (Valentine's) : Overlord (meow~) :
              »»More in profile link or wiki link««

In progress, I swear

: Interim : Suocéverse: Legends : Gelid Remainder :

Quick Reply