• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Heart Gold: How to change pokemon species name or add new pokemon?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 25, 2017
Hey, does anyone know how to change the species name of a pokemon so I could replace it with a custom pokemon? I've tried using PPRE but the name-change feature didn't work for me, so I'm looking for alternate methods.

Alternatively, is there a way to insert entirely new pokemon without editing existing ones? I imagine this is more complicated, as I can't find a tutorial anywhere and there are extremely limited hacks I've seen for any DS game with more than the standard set, so.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
The species names are all stored in the game text narc; you can use PPRE's text editor (if it doesn't have one, use SDSME instead) to change them. You'll have to scroll through a long list of text files to find them, and there might be multiple copies of the file that need to be edited.

You can add new Pokemon to the DS games, but it'll very difficult unless you really know your ASM. This post is the only publicly available information on how to do so.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 25, 2017
The species names are all stored in the game text narc; you can use PPRE's text editor (if it doesn't have one, use SDSME instead) to change them. You'll have to scroll through a long list of text files to find them, and there might be multiple copies of the file that need to be edited.

SDSME worked for me perfectly, thank you so much! I've been trying to figure this out for days, because PPRE's name change didn't work for me.

I appreciate the help so much, thanks!!

Back