• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Teal

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
Pokemon Teal
Hack of FireRed

UPDATE: Alpha is available at the bottom of the post
UPDATE2: I have updated the alpha with a few critical bugs fixed

Introduction
This is my first attempt at a hack. I got the idea when reminiscing about playing pokemon red and blue with friends in grade school. Someone found out the missingno trick, and before long we all were battling each other with lv 100 pokemon. I also always thought it was interesting that captured pokemon pretty much unconditionally obey their trainers (with the correct badges of course). With these two thoughts I came up with pokemon teal.

Story
For as long as anyone can remember pokemon and humans have lived in harmony. Pokemon provide humans with strength, speed, protection, transport, and many other abilities. Humans in turn provide the pokemon with love and compassion that only a human could provide. The human and the pokemon develop a bond as the human trains the pokemon from a low level. This takes much time, but an incredible bond develops between the pokemon and its trainer; they are like family.

What if there was a way to obtain high level pokemon without needing to train them? If someone found out a way to cheaply manufacture rare candies, anyone could obtain a strong pokemon. But would these pokemon obey their trainers? They would not have the time to develop the family-like bond that comes from traditional training. The pokemon would have no reason to stay captive, they surely would escape. Discovering a way to produce rare candies would be a sort of pandoras box. Initially, it would be great to have all those strong pokemon, but it would throw off the balance between human and pokemon in the pokemon world. Humanity would be doomed.

Pokemon Teal starts in a world of peace. But that quickly changes. Strange events have been happening. Unusually strong pokemon have appeared in the wild and have begun to attack cities and towns. After investigating these strange happenings, the main character learns that a group of former gangsters have found a way to mass produce rare candies (which aren't so rare anymore). The new rare candies are almost identical to the naturally occurring rare candies, but there is something different. The pokemon raised by these artificial candies become extremely violent. Many of these pokemon escape their trainers and attack humans. The main character must stop this or else humanity will be doomed.

Help Wanted
Spriter - There are a few sprites that I need for certain events in the hack.
I also need someone to help me come up with names for cities and towns. Right now, I'm using "Hometown","Farm Town","Seashore City", and "Industrial Town"

Features
- No Gym battles. The pokemon league has folded due to the emergence of strong trainers using rare candies. After you beat the game, you will be able to challenge all of the gym leaders.
- I hope to write some original music for this hack.
- New region, trainers, cities, etc

Screenshots
15965570.png
143w.png
144b.png
145m.png

optionst.png
newleauge.png
tenta2.png
hotelg.png

Credits
Hill Top Town named by Chrunch

Known Bugs
- There are some border errors and movement permission errors
- You're not supposed to be able to run away from/beat the Tentacruel

Last edited:

DreadWaffle

LOVE AND PEACE!
Years
Introduction
This is my first attempt at a hack. I got the idea when reminiscing about playing pokemon red and blue with friends in grade school. Someone found out the missingno trick, and before long we all were battling each other with lv 100 pokemon. I also always thought it wasn't interesting that captured pokemon pretty much unconditionally obey their trainers (with the correct badges of course). With these two thoughts I came up with pokemon teal.
-- epic win right there

the story sounds like something that people obviously do, and they can now reflect off of how they should not rare candy pokemon to get them to 100

i can sprite pretty well my thread link
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5415667#post5415667
just don't kill me with gangsta pokemon

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
-- epic win right there

the story sounds like something that people obviously do, and they can now reflect off of how they should not rare candy pokemon to get them to 100

i can sprite pretty well my thread link
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5415667#post5415667
just don't kill me with gangsta pokemon

Glad you like it.

As you can see in the last screenshot I am re-using the old man sprite that blocks the road to viridian forest. It is supposed to be the main character's brother that is dying. If you could make a "dying" character sprite that would be great. I think after he dies I may need a gravestone sprite, too.

I'm thinking for some of the sprites, I am going to copy the battle sprite of a pokemon and use it as world map sprite. So far I have events where there is a Scyther and a Tentacruel as world map sprites. I think I saw a hack where someone did this with a gyrados sprite. I haven't really tried to edit or insert sprites into my hack yet, so I'm still not quite sure what is possible and what is not possible.

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2011
This actually makes sense (if anything in Pokemon makes sense). If you think about it, this WOULD happen after some time, because the power of Rare Candies would be to hard to resist for 'bad guys'(for lack of a better word). It sounds like it would be a fun hack to play. Hope you finish this ;)

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
This looks very good.
I can help with town names.

OK, here is a description of the towns that I have planned for the first beta.

Hometown
This one I am fine with leaving it called Hometown. It is just a simple town with two houses and a pokemart.

Farm Town
I initially envisioned this town to be a rural town sustained by farming. The idea is that bug pokemon from the forest have become violent and have been destroying their crops. Now that I think of it I have already scripted this town, and didn't really make any references that it was a town sustained by farming. I need to go back and do that.

Seashore City
A large city by the beach. It is a relatively new city. A new large hotel and department store have just been built in this city.

Mountain Town
A town high up in the mountains. It is relatively isolated from other places.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
Merry Christmas!

Here are some new screenshots. The first one shows my first attempt at spriting (It is supposed to be a tentacruel).
tenta.png

ferry.png

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Merry Christmas!

Here are some new screenshots. The first one shows my first attempt at spriting (It is supposed to be a tentacruel).
tenta.png

ferry.png
Your Tentacruel sprite looks good, but I thought tentacruel
couldn't get out of the water...
And the town names...do you want me to PM them to you, or
just post them here?

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
Your Tentacruel sprite looks good, but I thought tentacruel
couldn't get out of the water...
And the town names...do you want me to PM them to you, or
just post them here?

I'm not sure if Tentacruel can get out of the water or not. Either way, it probably be a good idea to add puddles to the map during the script. It is supposed to be during a big storm, and Tentacools and Tentacruels attack the city.

You can PM me town names. I'm just looking for ideas. I am terrible at naming things.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'm actually diggin' the story basis of this hack - Which is rare in the Scrapbox. You've opened up a can of worms with your Rare Candy idea and I'm sure that if you stick to it and implement it well, this hack will be doing great. If I might be so bold as to ask: Will anyone else stumble across the connection between Rare Candies and rage-induced Pokemon, or will it be the Player against the world?

I realised something - No easy Rare-Candy levelling, even if they're not the evil team's creation D:

samtheman1x said:
I'm not sure if Tentacruel can get out of the water or not. Either way, it probably be a good idea to add puddles to the map during the script. It is supposed to be during a big storm, and Tentacools and Tentacruels attack the city.

Just think about a regular real world jellyfish - Can it get out of the water and walk around? Sure, Tentacruel aren't your average run-of-the-mill jellyfish, but try to keep some realism and connection to the real world intact. Puddles remove every worldly weakness that jellyfish have. :P

A family of Ursaring/ Teddiursa or something like that would be more realistic.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
I'm actually diggin' the story basis of this hack - Which is rare in the Scrapbox. You've opened up a can of worms with your Rare Candy idea and I'm sure that if you stick to it and implement it well, this hack will be doing great. If I might be so bold as to ask: Will anyone else stumble across the connection between Rare Candies and rage-induced Pokemon, or will it be the Player against the world?

I realised something - No easy Rare-Candy levelling, even if they're not the evil team's creation D:

Just think about a regular real world jellyfish - Can it get out of the water and walk around? Sure, Tentacruel aren't your average run-of-the-mill jellyfish, but try to keep some realism and connection to the real world intact. Puddles remove every worldly weakness that jellyfish have. :P

A family of Ursaring/ Teddiursa or something like that would be more realistic.

It will not be player against the world. Other people help the player figure out what has happened. However, the cheap plentiful rare candies offer great power to anyone who wants it. Great power has the ability to corrupt a person's thinking. This power may even turn friend into foe.

The was an episode in the anime where a Tentacruel attacked a city. This is sort of where my idea came from. In the episode the tentacruel does not need to leave the ocean to attack things on land, because its tentacles are so long.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
Yes it is supposed to be a scyther. I modified one of the in game sprites to create that sprite.

I'm really looking for someone else to help me sprite.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
I could help with Recoulors if you want.

You mean changing the palettes? I'm not sure if that is needed right now. I'm focusing more on the story and the scripting in this hack. Graphically I think it will be close to FireRed.

I think I am going to release a short alpha sometime in the near future. I've finished the scripting for the first three cities/towns. Right now I am editing the trainers and fixing bugs.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
That looks like a Deoxys OW :P
I love your story, it's very original.

Yes, I've been modifying some of FireRed's OWs to make new OWs. :embarrass I don't think I would be able to make one from scratch.

UPDATE: I have posted an alpha.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Yay, I caught Scyther!
I'm heading to Seashore now!
So far I've found some tile errors, should I post them?

Years
Why don't you download some HGSS Pokemon overworlds, if you're hesitant with your ability? (from what I can see- on my bad screen, I'll add- they're fine. Not saying you're probably bad or anything, but I'd assume they're fine, lol).
And your story is very original, has the potential for great playing.
Although if at all possible, change the main tiles (ie trees and ground). The FireRed default tiles have become significantly overused since Azure Horizons used them (in my opinion). If you can find any alternative tiles, I'd recommend changing them, because alot of people are beginning to use them. Although I think this may stand out, you're knowledgable in scripting, it would appear? Love that "mission selection" screenshot, lol!
Good luck with this, very promising!:)

Back