• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Game so Far, Excluding the Pokemon in it?

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2013
So after a time of taking a break from pokemon after not ever owning a DS when 4th Gen came out, stopping around Leaf Green, I'm getting back in now and I'm "catching up" with what I've missed, and am playing Pearl at the moment. Anyways, whenever I see discussions about pokemon games, they always tend to be about it's starters, or the pokemon inside and so on, which admittedly is kinda the point. But what about storyline? Which game, after you strip away whatever the starters may have been, and whatever Gen pokemon were in it, had the overall best storyline?

For me thinking back, Red/Blue/Yellow's storyline was a little bland as I recall, but it was the first. Silver seemed to be like it was all about getting legendaries and had a touch of "mystery" in them, at least to me. Now Sapphire/Ruby, those ones really struck me as the "biggest deal" storylines. To me they were very comprehensive and overarcing with high expectations throughout it.

But what about your takes on those? And for that matter Peard/Diamond/Platinum and Black/White (1&2)? Again, we're solely talking about plot, not starters or any pokemon within. :)

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
That's kind of a tough question, but i guess for me it would be a tie between RSE and B2/W2. I loved the storyline of the Hoenn region, especially the fact that the evil organization you had to stop was different between the 2 versions. I guess this is what sets them apart from the other pokemon games. B2/W2 have a nice story line as well, i especially like how they continue the story of their prequel.

Pacifist

Its a Destiny
Years
  • Seen May 25, 2014
I think that was or Emerald or Platinum, the reverse world was a great idea and really amazing, and emerald was part of my childhood and i loved the whole after E4 part with another starter pokemon to choose from another generation

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Graphics-wise, BW hands down. Had some nice innovations in it. But I'd say RSE just because of nostalgia and the fact that the Battle Frontier was so new and exciting, it really kept you engaged after you beat the E4.

Years
I'm stuck at a toss-up between Emerald and Black/White 2. Emerald was the first game that I can remember actually enjoying once I beat the main story (thanks to the Battle Frontier), plus the game took place in arguably my favorite region. As for B2/W2, the games themselves show just how far the series has come technologically, and things like the PWT and Battle Subway gave them high continued play value (although, I still wish we could've seen a Battle Frontier in Unova, too).

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
In terms of story I thought Diamond and Pearl (no Platinum) were very immersive. And for that I would recommend those two games. I can't quite put my finger on it, but B/W haven't had that same effect on me and so far, from what I've played, B2/W2 are not turning out to be any better. :/

So yes, from my front. Based entirely on story plots? Def D/P.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Plotwise I felt Black/White had a very strong plotline, N was a good villian/anti-hero and the whole Pokemon free vs captured morale thing was done quite well. RBY was weak, GSC was better but still pretty weak, RSE was also weak, DPPt was pretty good but not on par with BW in my opinion.

If we include spin-offs, I think PMD: Time & Darkness had the best plot of any Pokemon game.

T!M

Years
My biggest concern with the later Gens is that they've become far more... childish? In R/B/Y/G/S/C/Ry/Sp, you were very much on your own. It was not until Fr and Lg your trainer's hand was pretty much held throughout the game. And in the most recent games it's become almost annoying. One of my most frustrating times with D/P/Pl was dealing with Dawn, treating me like an idiot.

I appreciate a teaching method for new Pokémon Gamers, but for the veterans like ourselves here on PC, why can't we have an option to listen to things we've known about since Gen 1, yeah?

Fr and Lg are insufferable to me. The starting town missions could be finished in 5 minutes in Red and Blue. With all the bull crap Oak shoves down your throat in FireRed and LeafGreen, it takes a good 20...

________

Even with all that said, I would still recommend Pearl and Diamond as Black and White you're given to many crutches. Walking with no Poison damage is a good example. The difficulty was dumb'd down quite a bit for our up and coming Pokémon Gamers.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
For my its Diamond and Pearl, I just loved the gameplay in them and I always revert back. However I do prefer the graphics of B&W2.

Reactions: T!M

Pokedude3012

Slayer of Milotics
Years
Emerald. I just loved every aspect about Generation 3. I do agree with all the points here. Trainer Timothy makes a great point about the newer games, and Black and White did have the best graphics. Though, I love the storyline of Emerald and how they have handled having to combat two organisations.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Saphirre was as far as I got, and I feel it had the best plot then. And that's only if we're not counting side games, because the first PMD was better than everything that preceeded it at the time.

T!M

Years
Saphirre was as far as I got, and I feel it had the best plot then. And that's only if we're not counting side games, because the first PMD was better than everything that preceeded it at the time.

I can level with you. At the time, Sapphire (and it's counter-part; Ruby) were ground-breaking plots for the universe Pokémon. If you look back before the third generation plots. Both R/B/Y and G/S/C focused on a small-time gang (Team Rocket) that had no big plans aside from stealing and making money. Aqua/Magma made an almost region altering mistake. Those teams risked the the entire regions geographical state. That's big; well, at least bigger than stealing... So I'd like to think, before Dimensional Ripping Plans (Team Galatic/Palkia-Dialga), at the time, Sapphire and Ruby had an amazing plot that really changed a lot about Pokémon as a whole.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I see a lot of people recommending B2/W2 ; and while I agree with them, I'd rather add that in order to fully understand and appreciate the story of B2/W2, you need to play B/W (and it would be better to get the sequel of the same color as the first game) .

Navy Blue

Artist
Years
Emerald.
It was my first game, and the storyline seemed awesome to me.
I, to this day, regardless of graphics, think that Emerald had the best plot.
I'd say B/W 2 would come in second, but I'm mostly for 3rd Gen.

Years
  • Seen May 2, 2013
I would say Pokemon Black or Pokemon White, the animated sprites and graphics really do it for me. Cant wait for X and Y though!

Back