• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
Map Name: Route 771
Hack: Unnamed hack
Credits: MASTEROFPUPPETS, WesleyFG,Gary93, Saurav, Doktor Worm (MOP Rombase)
Additional info. This is the first route of the hack, connecting starter town to unnecessary 2nd town, I want the hack to be naturally mapped but maintain the playability of the GF mapping. There's gonna be a dark theme about the hack, and i think the tiles capture it well.

Thnaaks!

This is a REALLY good map for the first route. Its so good because it gives a great back path (for your trips back home) it gives LOTS of grass to level in and the layout is unique causing the player to zigzag...
a couple notes... Im an a$$ so I like to force the player into grass... you MAY do that a bit much here forcing too many battles on a lv5 poke with no chance to heal... people may die :(
also your path back forces you to walk through grass a couple times too, there is no clear free path home... not that its bad, just something to keep an eye on. other than that its a solid 9.5... very GF

My map: Mandarin Desert
Hack: FireRed +Plus
Map:
attachment.php

Notes:

This is a big map that connects east and west mandarin island. to the north is an abandoned mine where players will have many events fighting team rocket. to the south is a harbor that gets you off mandarin to other islands or back to kanto... based on the anime, mandari island is the biggest and there is a big desert in the middle. this is how i worked it without adding tiles. I actually have all the wild pokemon in the dirt, no tall grass. there will be a few trainers (to include cameos from the desert episodes in the anime). This is a late game map so the trainers pokemon are likely over 70 at this point. (meaning they can fight plenty of wild pokemon without worry)

what ya think :)

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
This is a REALLY good map for the first route. Its so good because it gives a great back path (for your trips back home) it gives LOTS of grass to level in and the layout is unique causing the player to zigzag...
a couple notes... Im an a$$ so I like to force the player into grass... you MAY do that a bit much here forcing too many battles on a lv5 poke with no chance to heal... people may die :(
also your path back forces you to walk through grass a couple times too, there is no clear free path home... not that its bad, just something to keep an eye on. other than that its a solid 9.5... very GF

My map: Mandarin Desert
Hack: FireRed +Plus
Map:
Spoiler:
Notes:

This is a big map that connects east and west mandarin island. to the north is an abandoned mine where players will have many events fighting team rocket. to the south is a harbor that gets you off mandarin to other islands or back to kanto... based on the anime, mandari island is the biggest and there is a big desert in the middle. this is how i worked it without adding tiles. I actually have all the wild pokemon in the dirt, no tall grass. there will be a few trainers (to include cameos from the desert episodes in the anime). This is a late game map so the trainers pokemon are likely over 70 at this point. (meaning they can fight plenty of wild pokemon without worry)

what ya think :)

Review:
well first of all
Spoiler:

Well okay I really like this map No errors found {<3}
I love how the white mountain is in between the rest of the others
I Love the way the mountain tiles are placed as well 10/10
(i suck at making mountains)

My Map:
Name: Cabino De Montañas
Rom: Fire Red(U)
Tiles: FM tiles ( Except the house IDK whose that is o.o)
Credits: FM
7s6w.png

As I said before I am not good with mountain tiles XD

Nex

formerly known as _Nex_
Years
7/10
I like the tiles and your mapping style
But my english is too bad too make good review

Map Name:Route 701
Made in : Pokemon Firered
A map from my old hack i think i can post it here
x_zpso8kik9jy.png

Last edited:

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
7/10
I like the tiles and your mapping style
But my english is too bad too make good review

Map Name:Route 701
Made in : Pokemon Firered
A map from my old hack i think i can post it here
Spoiler:

Review: WOW! I really love this map its amazing ^^ But One thing bugs me... the straight river and path :/ Try making them realistic By not making them straight but think of it how it looks in RL ^^ 9.5/10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My map:
MapName: No name yet xD
Rombase: Pokemon Hoenn Dreams
Info: Me I suck with mountain and cave tiles lol
Credits: Hek el grande - Tiles
1mw0.png

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
Above poster: Whilst the layout is nice andit's not too square or any of those cardinal sins, I think the saturation on the lava is slightly too much, they stick out FAR too much.
The best part is the shape of the rock in the centre, how it kinda revolves around the small volcano in the middle. The top part could use some more decoration though, 7/10

PsD6tFZ.png

This is the region map for my hack. any comments?
the grey areas are affected areas of the virus outbreak the story of my hack is based around.

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
Above poster: Whilst the layout is nice andit's not too square or any of those cardinal sins, I think the saturation on the lava is slightly too much, they stick out FAR too much.
The best part is the shape of the rock in the centre, how it kinda revolves around the small volcano in the middle. The top part could use some more decoration though, 7/10

PsD6tFZ.png

This is the region map for my hack. any comments?
the grey areas are affected areas of the virus outbreak the story of my hack is based around.
I really Like it but what is the gray part? But some of it is too straight
Other than that nothing much to say it is a Region map :p8/10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is mine for my hack too^^
Name of region:???
Info: Its my first WM
1222mhw.jpg

Last edited:

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
I said in the description, the grey is the area affected by a pokemon targetting virus which is what my hack is based around! the area is gonna be quarantined in game.

With yours the only thing I can see for starters is how linear it is! I like the shape of the islands though (B&W maps aren't my favourite tbh)

PiyXZii.png

This is mine, just testing a few pallatte changes. I want it to be more mature/serious so have desaturated some of the colour schemes.

Last edited:

ExitWound

Boggle
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
This is mine, just testing a few pallatte changes. I want it to be more mature/serious so have desaturated some of the colour schemes.

I like it, but that middle island is a bit pointless. You can't even get there it looks like. I'm not sure what this map is for, but I'm not quite sure why you would put a mart in the middle of the ocean either :/
The taller grass also looks out of place. And I see an error in this map. On right side of the largest island, just below it, those two rocks are cut in half. But, without that little rock problem, I'd give this map... a 6.5 out of 10. :) It's pretty good :D

Here's mine (Don't pick apart the black boxes on the buildings, it's supposed to look like that :S):
29vbWcR.png

This is a forest map, obviously. I tried to make it as random as possible, while still having a path all the way through. It's kinda like Viridian forest, except a lot more random.

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
Here's mine (Don't pick apart the black boxes on the buildings, it's supposed to look like that :S):
Spoiler:

This is a forest map, obviously. I tried to make it as random as possible, while still having a path all the way through. It's kinda like Viridian forest, except a lot more random.
Review: I really love that map its really good and nothing is wrong with it :3 I like the tall grass tile heh but since it is a really big forest why not use 3 tile trees? Its just an opinion but other than that is looks like a great map 10/10 <3
My map:Base is fire red
Its one of my maps since I improved mapping...
The only flaw I see is that the path tiles are layed out to straight and not natural :/
Spoiler:

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
Review: I really love that map its really good and nothing is wrong with it :3 I like the tall grass tile heh but since it is a really big forest why not use 3 tile trees? Its just an opinion but other than that is looks like a great map 10/10 <3
My map:Base is fire red
Its one of my maps since I improved mapping...
The only flaw I see is that the path tiles are layed out to straight and not natural :/
Spoiler:

So there are a couple of things you could improve in your map. First off, There should be some sort of pavement or floor tile linking to each building seeing as how this is a city after all and not a route. As you mentioned before the mountains are too straight and look unnatural. What I do is draw a random line with any mountain block and later fill it in with the appropriate block like this: http://puu.sh/7HiPI/5e50368c8e.png . You're also going to run into errors on the edges of the map because of the border block (open up your ROM on your emulator and walk around the edges of the map and see what I mean.) When you walk up to the end of the river you're going to see the river ends and you'll see a ton of trees where the river is supposed to continue from. Aside from those things I think the map is pretty good for starters. personally I would add in a couple more trees in the more empty areas to fill in the map more.

Map name: None
Map Game: Firered
Comments: It's the first time I've used the apple tiles so I might have overused it.
Map:
Spoiler:

Years
The map is pretty good, I do agree that you may have used the apples a little too much. I'm assuming that the cave system you have for this is one giant map? Or is it a bunch of little ones? I feel like the random benches may not be necessary for this particular type of map because it's more like a dense forest maze, not really a park you'd sit down in. I also think you may have overused the red flowers, it's just a little....distracting, for lack of a better word with all of these scattered red dots. Overall I give your map an 8/10.

Map Name(s): Trainer Academy/Academy Field/Shreviel Peak
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: It's the first time i've really made maps before, I'm not good enough to create and change events, or they just aren't working (Can't figure out PKSV). Any help or comments would be great!

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Map name: None
Map Game: Firered
Comments: It's the first time I've used the apple tiles so I might have overused it.
Map:
Spoiler:
The map is certainly visually appealing, and looks stunning at first glance. However, when you delve into the map in more detail you begin to notice some major flaws. The effect of having the tree tiles overlap so much is, frankly, not appealing at all and is something I'd seriously reconsider if I was you. I admire how you've managed to get so many different compartments into your map and I'd love to see the inside of the cave so that I could see exactly how the map plans out. However, one of the major major flaws of this map is its playability; the 1/2 tile spaces are not only a nightmare to play out in-game they're also visually horrible. I usually find that the best rule of thumb is to always allow the player at least 3 tile spaces to move around in, diagonal lines or 1 tile movements are a nightmare. Overall it is a promising map but I'd say it needs some serious work.

Pokémon Trainer 188

Map Name(s): Trainer Academy/Academy Field/Shreviel Peak
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: It's the first time i've really made maps before, I'm not good enough to create and change events, or they just aren't working (Can't figure out PKSV). Any help or comments would be great!

There are some things on these Maps that don't make much sense such as the use of four Pokemon Labs each with a sign in front of them and one thing that bugs me is how straight the paths and trees are on the 2nd Map but overall if you do make these changes I think these Maps will turn into something great! Keep up the good work ;)

Now here's a map I made, it's a remake of Littleroot Town, I'm making a remake of R/S in Pokemon Firered and I wanted to keep that style of Mapping going that's why the trees aren't scattered like my other Maps. But I hope you enjoy it, I'm not sure if it turned out good because I don't usually map like this but I hope it did. Thanks!

25s3mur.jpg

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
There are some things on these Maps that don't make much sense such as the use of four Pokemon Labs each with a sign in front of them and one thing that bugs me is how straight the paths and trees are on the 2nd Map but overall if you do make these changes I think these Maps will turn into something great! Keep up the good work ;)

Now here's a map I made, it's a remake of Littleroot Town, I'm making a remake of R/S in Pokemon Firered and I wanted to keep that style of Mapping going that's why the trees aren't scattered like my other Maps. But I hope you enjoy it, I'm not sure if it turned out good because I don't usually map like this but I hope it did. Thanks!

25s3mur.jpg
I do like your map, especially as a revamped version of Littleroot Town. However, your map would look much better if you were to fix the tree shadowing on the default FireRed trees. I'm also certainly not a fan of the whole mountains going through the middle of trees style that people go for, but anyhow you'll have a border block error over there. Overall it's a good map and a good starting point but it could be better with some minor, easy improvements.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023

25s3mur.jpg

That map looks great. I really like the flower tiles that you put, and the map looks much better than Littleroot town. (Also how is the truck scene thing gonna work??) I really like your tree placement but the little jars/jugs things on the player's house look a bit weird (might just be me though, but two of them next to each other look weird) Also, the part where the tree and the mountain meet looks a bit weird. But it's still a really good map, I'll give it a 9/10 :)

Now, my turn.
It's the first town for my hack, and I don't have a name for the town yet. It'son FR by the way. Credits to Femok from WAH for the house tiles.
Spoiler:

Here's the link if it doesnt appear https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyiiwf3j00cudm3/The town.png?m=

Last edited:

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
That map looks great. I really like the flower tiles that you put, and the map looks much better than Littleroot town. (Also how is the truck scene thing gonna work??) I really like your tree placement but the little jars/jugs things on the player's house look a bit weird (might just be me though, but two of them next to each other look weird) Also, the part where the tree and the mountain meet looks a bit weird. But it's still a really good map, I'll give it a 9/10 :)

Now, my turn.
It's the first town for my hack, and I don't have a name for the town yet. It'son FR by the way. Credits to Femok from WAH for the house tiles.
Spoiler:

It looks pretty good, except the placement of the trees and and flowers looks a little strange, not sure why. Also the paths are too straight, and it seems oddly like there is a lot of free room, you should probably find some way to fill that, but make it look natural. Yup.

Last edited:

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
I uploaded your picture if you don't mind
Spoiler:

Your map is too empty oyou should try to add more tiles to help you. Also the paths seem to straight? I would make them look more natural...Another thing is to try using other types of houses, It looks weird, But other than that your pretty good at mapping just remember to make your maps more natural :)

Here is my map, I like to go by the rule of "Make a map you would want to play" And I ended up with this :P
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 18, 2017
I uploaded your picture if you don't mind
Spoiler:

Your map is too empty oyou should try to add more tiles to help you. Also the paths seem to straight? I would make them look more natural...Another thing is to try using other types of houses, It looks weird, But other than that your pretty good at mapping just remember to make your maps more natural :)

Here is my map, I like to go by the rule of "Make a map you would want to play" And I ended up with this :P
Spoiler:

I like the overall look of this map, especially the color schemes.
However, I think it might be too cluttered in the center, and the park bench seems out of place.
My favorite part is the sandy entrance and exit paths.

My map is the center of an old inactive volcano. You will encounter team rocket scanning the rocks for a strange substance that was left over from the volcano. (Don't mind the top, it is out of view from the player.)

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Spoiler:

I like the overall look you've got going on :) However, there are some areas that are impractical and very narrow. For example: the stairs up the cliff to the left, down the bottom where the pikachu-lady is battling. I realise you might be doing this to 'block off' areas - but that's what scripting is for :) don't be afraid to use it rather than relying on mapping alone.

I also think the swimmers seem a bit out of place - it's a very small lake. Idk, maybe make a bit of a story out of it, have the fisher be a brother/sister/father/whatever. Then maybe it'll work.

8/10!!

Hmm, it's very... plain. The trees are perfectly aligned, there aren't many rocks, and... well it doesn't look like the top of volcano. Perhaps a bit more sculpting with the cliffs - make the path in a bit jagged, make the middle more circular and steep.

Overall... I'd use more mountain and less trees.

4/10

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I like the overall look of this map, especially the color schemes.
However, I think it might be too cluttered in the center, and the park bench seems out of place.
My favorite part is the sandy entrance and exit paths.

My map is the center of an old inactive volcano. You will encounter team rocket scanning the rocks for a strange substance that was left over from the volcano. (Don't mind the top, it is out of view from the player.)

For a normal map using the basic tiles, I'd say that the layout looks great. I like the design of the trees, grass, rocks, etc. However you say this is the center of an inactive volcano well....

De3aZOK.jpg

I don't see how your map would be inside an inactive volcano. All those trees ... vegetation inside the crater of a volcano very unlikely.

Besides that, and that the area with the three flowers looks a little too plain, I think it looks like a nice little map. 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back