• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If Pikachu didn't exist who would be the main Pokémon?

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
Years
I believe the staff of the anime mentioned that they were originally planning for Clefairy to be Ash's starter based on the mascot of one of the first Pokemon Mangas 'Pokémon Pocket Monsters'.

I think the ideal would be a Pokemon who would still have to evolve with a stone so Ash can't tear everyone apart... But I'm all for Mankey here. That guy's a ripper.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
I stand by my little fan-made story i just wrote in a few paragraphs a few posts ago about how they could have done the anime with a Cleffairy instead of a Pikachu, and make it better, without ruining the feeling of Pokemon

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Surprised more people didn't say Togepi. That makes the most sense to me - they would want a Pokemon that's visible in the anime to bring people in and help them connect to both. Plus it's cute!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well the mascot doesn't necessarily have to be there from the beginning, as long as it becomes the face of the franchise at some point. Togepi came into the fray before the fad exploded and died out, so it could have easily served as a mascot.

A mascot doesn't have to be Ash's first Pokemon you guys...

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Charizard. It's a dragon, a monster. I think its design has always indicated that 'this is a Pokemon, and what Pokemon is about'.
They could have a chibi version or use Charmander when a simpler or cuter design would suit better.

Clefairy was originally supposed to be the mascot iirc, so I'd say she'd be most likely.
It was also male.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 9, 2020
What about YOUR beloved Arceus? I remember I had a long conversation about the "God Pokemon" in an other topic; so if you people believe that it is the creator of all, the God, and other stuff like this, you should reconise him as the "Main" Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
If we're being limited to gen 1 Pokémon, the only other viable options I'd see besides Pikachu is Clefairy, Eevee, or Raichu. No one ever seems to give Raichu the love he deserves :c

If not, I'd say Mudkip, Ralts or Gardevoir, Plusle+Minun, Audino, or maybe even Stunfisk the great ruler of all.

Dunsparce, too.

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
I would have to say Eevee, just because I feel like the same number of people like it. Although I heard that Ash was supposed to have Clefairy as his partner. Since I think the anime was the whole reason Pikachu became so popular, I give my second guess to Clefairy.

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
I dunno if anyone would agree but I think the maybe Caterpie would be a good one. I mean, look much attention it got int the first ten or so episodes. If I didn't know better I'd think they were trying to jam Caterpie down our throats until Metapod came bursting from our jaws.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Probably one of the original three starters or their fully evolved forms. Maybe all three at once? I don't know. Togepi was one for a while, but that kinda died off. Maybe it would have been mew or mewtwo possibly even ho-oh. Ash did see ho-oh at the beginning of his journey after all. Those would be my guesses, but I really can't say. Such a tough call...

Years
While it wouldn't have been a Pokemon that Ash would've caught, I could have easily seen either Mew or Mewtwo being frontrunners as the franchise Pokemon. Any one of the starters/Eevee could've worked, too, but I think it would've felt that much more special to catch one of them if they were the most elusive, but best known Pokemon (plus, being as powerful as they are is a pretty strong selling point).

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
For me it would have to be Eevee, due to the fan fare that it has received over the years. It could just as easily stand the test of time, and Eevee doesn't seem overly masculine or feminine which is why they went with Pikachu over Clefairy because Pikachu shares that quality. If they were at some point going to replace Pikachu I felt Lucario would have been an great replacement as I always felt Lucario was quite marketable and very popular among the fans as I see it on peoples team all the time. To the Togepi discussion Togepi appeared somewhat early on in the Anime to be a transition mascot as it appeared still in the original series. Obviously they didn't make the switch as we still have the same two in place. Or they could have had Marill who was known as Pikablu by the fans back then.

Years
The mascot would have to be cute, whatever it is.

I know that Clefairy was one of the originals to be considered, but Eevee is just as good as a Pikachu replacement, though Clefairy being pink instead of brown would probably be more marketable. Probably. Marill is a great choice, too, but might not have existed if Pikachu hadn't become the mascot in the first place.

Back