• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RSE Remake Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
Yeah you might be right that it might get a summer JP release date.

I really do think though, that RSE remakes will be announced next year though. Just look at the release cycle.

2002 - RS
2004 - FRLG
2005 - Emerald
2006 - DP
2008 - Platinum
2009 - HGSS
2010 - BW
2012 - BW2
--------
2013 - RSE Remakes ??
2014 - Gen VI ??
We've discussed this in the thread quite a few times already, but the reason the cycle might be broken is because the Nintendo DS is going out the window and the 3DS is the priority console right now. IMO B2W2 were definitely the end of the DS era and will most likely be one of the last sets of games to be released for the DS. Also, we've had two pairs of games already in Gen V, so it'd make sense for RSE remakes to appear in Gen VI.

It's hard to say though until we have an official announcement.

Years
  • Seen Feb 14, 2021
I just don't see why in the world they would release any new main game on the DS. Some people have said its possible because they may have already started working on it before realizing they need to switch to the 3DS, but they have had the development kit for it since Jan/Feb 2010 and I think they said HG/SS began development in 2006, and we know it was released in 2009 so that's about a 3 year development for it.

If that is anything to follow by, they have had the 3DS development kit since Jan/Feb 2010 so by the time the next main game is released next year in 2013, they would have had it for over 3 years and that's enough time for them to have developed the remake or new game so theres no doubt in my mind the next main game is on 3DS, whether its a remake or new gen.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I just don't see why in the world they would release any new main game on the DS. Some people have said its possible because they may have already started working on it before realizing they need to switch to the 3DS, but they have had the development kit for it since Jan/Feb 2010 and I think they said HG/SS began development in 2006, and we know it was released in 2009 so that's about a 3 year development for it.

If that is anything to follow by, they have had the 3DS development kit since Jan/Feb 2010 so by the time the next main game is released next year in 2013, they would have had it for over 3 years and that's enough time for them to have developed the remake or new game so theres no doubt in my mind the next main game is on 3DS, whether its a remake or new gen.

Exactly. Regardless what is next, it will 100% not be DS, but 3DS.
There simply is no possibility.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
So I thought about this idea being Steven the champion, Wallace in the rematches.
I think the console would be the DS, but it would have extra features in the 3DS.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
So I thought about this idea being Steven the champion, Wallace in the rematches.
I think the console would be the DS, but it would have extra features in the 3DS.

....it will 100% not be DS, but 3DS.

I mean really, can you imagine the release of another set of main games for the DS in a typical autumn of 2013, and then getting translated releases perhaps by spring 2014? I don't.

Besides I'm pretty sure what you're suggesting isn't something nintendo would want to contemplate. Creating DS carts that have extra features for 3DS I mean, since BW2 for example have no 3DS features themselves, but can merely connect with the Dreamradar game. DS and 3DS carts are different things.

3DS is not an improved DS, it is a new handheld, unlike DSi which added cameras and the kind of DS games that have extra features for DSi... this is not the case now.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
....it will 100% not be DS, but 3DS.

I mean really, can you imagine the release of another set of main games for the DS in a typical autumn of 2013, and then getting translated releases perhaps by spring 2014? I don't.

Besides I'm pretty sure what you're suggesting isn't something nintendo would want to contemplate. Creating DS carts that have extra features for 3DS I mean, since BW2 for example have no 3DS features themselves, but can merely connect with the Dreamradar game. DS and 3DS carts are different things.

3DS is not an improved DS, it is a new handheld, unlike DSi which added cameras and the kind of DS games that have extra features for DSi... this is not the case now.

But it would be the same type of graphics of BW/2 like every remake, and there's DS games that has better graphics of BW/2, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make it for 3DS, I'm just saying they can still make more developed 3d Pokemon game on the DS.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
But it would be the same type of graphics of BW/2 like every remake, and there's DS games that has better graphics of BW/2, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make it for 3DS, I'm just saying they can still make more developed 3d Pokemon game on the DS.

They won't.

BW/2 were already standing with one foot in the land of the dead to milk the rest of the DS' life, instead of promoting nintendos CURRENT HANDHELD the 3DS.

They could make a game for the GBA with improved graphics too, but they won't for obvious reasons.

Years
  • Age 31
  • IL
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
I don't know why, but I still think that the RSE remakes will be on the DS. This is a really bad example, but Emerald was released on the GBA when the DS was already out. It still sold like hotcakes. The RSE remakes will sell regardless if it's on the DS or 3DS or not. I'm just leaning toward a DS release as GF already has the resources for it (Gen V engine) plus it's quick and cheap.

Gen VI will get the 3DS treatment.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
I feel like we won't get a remake for them, rather a sequel in the vein of B2/W2, they would need to fit it into the timeline somehow.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't know why, but I still think that the RSE remakes will be on the DS. This is a really bad example, but Emerald was released on the GBA when the DS was already out. It still sold like hotcakes. The RSE remakes will sell regardless if it's on the DS or 3DS or not. I'm just leaning toward a DS release as GF already has the resources for it (Gen V engine) plus it's quick and cheap.

No they didn't >> They sold ok but the GBA sales were horrible. All of Gen 3 as a whole had bad sales compared to later sales, and Emerald wasn't a remake of a previous game either. It was the Director's cut version of Ruby and Sapphire.

We don't know what they plan on doing. The DS IS a dead/dying system. Just got back from work and they pulled the DSi's from the store over the weekend. We had like 20 of them when I went in Friday morning and when I was putting out the 3DS XL which were released today I had to ask about the DSi's cause they were all missing. My Manager said they were pulled out of our stock by the Nintendo Representative.

Its gunna be a big thing if the remakes are for the 3DS but then again we haven't had 6 games released for one Generation before either.

Then of course there is the new, in-credible rumor about Pokemon finally calling it quits. I say in-credible because there isn't any credit to it. This appeared thanks to the Anime preview with Team Rocket. Course some people still believe that at the end of every generation the games are the last of their kinds.

3DS has a pretty good chance of getting the remakes before or after Gen 6. Earliest we'd see sometime next year possibly.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years

If there was another set of new games a year after Emerald for the GBA, then you would have a point, but in reality, your analogy is perfect to BW2, because they both play the same role in their generation, and both are stretching a dead handheld.
Whatever is next, will get the 3DS treatment.

Also, it would not be as cheap/quick as you imagine. Hardly less work than BW2.

Eeveelution Co-ordinator

Budding Breeder/Co-ordinator
Years
I think/hope they make remakes like 'ShiningSaphire' or something like it, as they've made remakes in all Generations from 2 generations ago starting in Gen III with remakes of Green (A japnese game) and Red from Gen I and and remakes of gold and silver in Gen IV so I'm expecting a remake of ruby and saphire this generation (As B2W2 are remakes sort of, but not from 2 gens before hand)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
B2W2 are sequels not remakes...
Back on topic: I hope they'll be for 3DS but than again many of us hoped and expected the same with B2W2, thinking B1W1 were the last milking of the Ds by Gf but we were proven wrong sadly.
Though perhaps the remakes which will be the third Paired version of this generation (if they are remade for gen 5) plus they are third gen remakes (and the third set of remakes) so "3" DS is games might be possible if Gf being all subtly punny with this...

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
There has been a lot of speculation about a 3rd game that would include the Original
dragon of the Tao trio, the god stone is a proof, what if they make Hoenn remakes
then Pokemon grey or whatever it's, both on 3DS, still the chance of GF doing that is small.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
B2W2 are sequels not remakes...
Back on topic: I hope they'll be for 3DS but than again many of us hoped and expected the same with B2W2, thinking B1W1 were the last milking of the Ds by Gf but we were proven wrong sadly.
Though perhaps the remakes which will be the third Paired version of this generation (if they are remade for gen 5) plus they are third gen remakes (and the third set of remakes) so "3" DS is games might be possible if Gf being all subtly punny with this...

Maybe they had BW2 planned from the start though(for the DS; after all, the system lived/is living longer than probably anyone figured, we know it's dead/dying now though with the 3DS out).

On top of that, no DS successor had been announced when they originally started work on Gen V(they started work right after DP if IIRC, which was quite some time ago obviously). With sequels in mind too, that might be why we have this huge stretch right now with the DS, their efforts to try to keep the two pairs together.

Remakes(irl release times) have no real place in any gen if you think about it; We're only assuming this because of the last two such releases. With all of the seemingly surprising releases as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if we got RSEmakes to kick off Pokemon on the 3DS.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Moving Right Along…

Maybe they had BW2 planned from the start though (for the DS; after all, the system lived/is living longer than probably anyone figured, we know it's dead/dying now though with the 3DS out.)

On top of that, no DS successor had been announced when they originally started work on Gen V (they started work right after DP if IIRC, which was quite some time ago, obviously.) With sequels in mind too, that might be why we have this huge stretch right now with the DS, their efforts to try to keep the two pairs together.

You know, this might end our little argument over the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remakes' target platform if it pans out. GameFreak could not have known at the times which they began developing Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Versions and Pokémon Black and White Versions that the Nintendo DS family of systems would have already used up almost two fifths and slightly more than 99% of its lifespan, respectively, when these games were released. It makes sense that GameFreak didn't plan to make the sequels to Black and White since the beginning of Generation V because of how the generations of the Pokémon franchise usually coincide roughly with Nintendo's hardware generations but did not this time around because of the release of the DSi, which GameFreak might have considered as a console separate enough from the first two members of the DS family to develop Pokémon games indepently of the previous generation Threrefore, GameFreak must not have initially intended for Generation V to last as long since the idea of creating numbered sequels to both of its main games only occurred to their game designers early on the project as implied by a staement made by Junichi Masuda and summarized here by IGN DS/3DS. In this latter case, Generation V's length might be a direct byproduct of the fact that developing two completely new games takes much longer than making a directors' cut of two old games.

Remakes (irl release times) have no real place in any gen if you think about it; we're only assuming this because of the last two such releases. With all of the seemingly surprising releases as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if we got RSEmakes to kick off Pokemon on the 3DS.

I honestly hope that you're right, C Payne, because we're all stuck in the middle of one of Nintendo's painful hardware transitions. This shift in platforms happens to be even more painful for me than usual because I'm still hanging on to my Gameboy Advance and original Nintendo DS for dear life. Even though my personal console interests might not concern you, I remain certain that we all fret over further shattering of the Pokémon franchise. We worry over this because the series's games interconnect more than most, especially when one considers the fact that some people, like myself, believe that they should be played in order. Without an RSE remake and the importing and trading mechanisms supported by the current games, we would all be sunk in an irresolvable quagmire of ill feelings towards Nintendo. Bring on the remakes!

Last edited:
Years
No they didn't >> They sold ok but the GBA sales were horrible. All of Gen 3 as a whole had bad sales compared to later sales, and Emerald wasn't a remake of a previous game either. It was the Director's cut version of Ruby and Sapphire.

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you, but according to Pokemon Emerald's entry in bulbapedia...
It was the second highest selling video game of 2005 in North America. It was also the third best-selling game for the Game Boy Advance, losing to its two predecessors, Ruby and Sapphire and FireRed and LeafGreen.
So it was very popular, but do correct me if I made a mistake

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you, but according to Pokemon Emerald's entry in bulbapedia...

So it was very popular, but do correct me if I made a mistake

Generation 3 games were poor sales compared to other generations. They sold the best in the GBA sales which were all horrible in comparison to other Handheld models.

Gen 1 is over 46 million
-Red/Blue/Green was over 31 million
-Yellow was over 14 million

Gen 2 is over 29 million
-Gold/Silver was over 23
-Crystal was over 6 million

Gen 3 is over 22 million
-Ruby/Sapphire was over 15 million
-Emerald was over 6 million

Gen 4 is over 25 million
-Diamond/Pearl over 18 million
-Platinum over 7 million

Gen 5 so far is over 16 million
-Black/White is over 14 million
-Black 2/White 2 so far is over 2 million (Has not had international release

Both Gens 3 and 4 also get supplemented by riding on popularity of older generations. Not counting the remakes due to it being a popularity pole vault as well as keeping the True Generations to the games focusing on the regions.

While still in their baby stage, Black and white are only 6 million sales away from Generation 3 which has been out for about 10 years. In that time Gen 3 has not caught up to Gens 1 or 2 nor was it able to keep a lead over Generation 4 which is arguably the worst generation according to a large amount of fans. Still, even as disliked as it is, Gen 4 still passed Gen 3 in sales. (It also hasn't been out as long as Gen 3.) 5 is steadily increasing and as already mentioned still an incomplete analysis as B2W2 haven't had full world launches yet which are only going to make the sales jump even higher. When the games are in their 5th year they may very well surpass the sales of Gen 3's Two main games. The two may even pass the combined total of the "three" Generation 3 title series.

Also discontinued systems isn't really an issue with sales as all of these numbers are way higher than the last time I researched this.

Currently Gen 5 is last but only because of its young age and it hasn't fully released. We won't see best results until Generation 6 rears its ugly head to be able to do a more accurate comparison.

And based on sales...I think they'd stand a better chance at 2 versions for the remakes rather than one. So I'd stick with my Original story line, behind the scene awakening of opposite, Rayquaza battle before 8th badge, opposite leaves never to be caught in that game while you get to face Mascot in Cave of Origin after facing the E4 and Steven/Wallace (which ever isn't the Champion (Hoping Wallace if they follow original story cause Water Gym AND Water Champion is really stupid.))

Or hell Wallace can be the Contest Master like in the Anime and not have anything to do with Gyms/E4 and you get to have an actual battle after beating Steven.

Last edited:

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
I get the impression that those who support the idea of remakes for the DS are worried that they might have to find the money to buy a 3DS.

There's no way the platform for RSE remakes will be DS. Absolutely no way. If they are, I'll video myself shaving my head and put it on Youtube. Seriously.

Years

Emerald wasn't released after the DS in Japan. I still think that R/S remakes will be released after 6th gen, so it'll use gen 6's engine.

Yeah you might be right that it might get a summer JP release date.

I really do think though, that RSE remakes will be announced next year though. Just look at the release cycle.

2002 - RS
2004 - FRLG
2005 - Emerald
2006 - DP
2008 - Platinum
2009 - HGSS
2010 - BW
2012 - BW2
--------
2013 - RSE Remakes ??
2014 - Gen VI ??

Gen 5 took the pattern and threw it out the window with sequels instead of third versions, also because the games released in June instead of September.

Also, whos to say we won't get a game at all in 2013? There was no game released in 2003, between R/S and FR/LG, 2005, between Emerald and D/P, 2007, between D/P and Pt, and 2011, between B/W and B/W2.

There has been a lot of speculation about a 3rd game that would include the Original
dragon of the Tao trio, the god stone is a proof, what if they make Hoenn remakes
then Pokemon grey or whatever it's, both on 3DS, still the chance of GF doing that is small.

It'd be pretty hard to convince someone to go to Unova for a fourth time in a 4/5 year period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back