Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

View Poll Results: Let's add a poll to this discussion. What do you think is more likely to happen first?
Ash wins the Pokémon League and/or becomes a Pokémon Master 5 33.33%
Our generation will pass away entirely 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 9th, 2017 (2:38 AM).
Pokémon World Champion

Nature: Naughty
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pokelitfam View Post
    I don't know, maybe I do put too much into being a fan of the show, but I don't think its a crime to enjoy something. Anyways, the entire premise of the show is Ash trying to be a 'pokemon master'. It's literally the only reason that Ash travels anywhere. You'll have to forgive me for wanting Ash to accomplish his goal.
    Funny thing is, if Ash thinks winning a League is how you become a Pokémon Master, there shouldn't be anything stopping him from doing so, then wanting to win every League in every region to keep the series going

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 9th, 2017 (12:47 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Twilight-kun View Post
      He does that for every series
      Yes I know, but you said it doesn't seem like he cares about being a Pokémon master anymore. I think in real life he probably wouldn't be looking to become one so much at this point because he would know at this point it's nothing more than a distant reality, but for plot purposes he still has to have that goal.
      Old March 10th, 2017 (2:47 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Twilight-kun View Post
        Funny thing is, if Ash thinks winning a League is how you become a Pokémon Master, there shouldn't be anything stopping him from doing so, then wanting to win every League in every region to keep the series going
        I completely agree with you. It's sloppy writing. Either they haven't conveyed what Ash's true goals and beliefs are, or they're literally just coming up with reasons for Ash to not win a league, e.g. Tobias. Either way, sloppy writing.
        Old March 11th, 2017 (8:22 PM).
        Lurking in the shadows

Nature: Relaxed
          The theme for the show is that Ash wants to be 'the very best'. That goal is open to interpretation but Ash sees it as trying to win a league, then going to the next region and entering that league. A pretty much continuous cycle.
          Old March 12th, 2017 (7:52 AM).

If they had him go for the same league each time that would be pretty pointless and they wouldn't be able to introduce new region specific Pokémon. They could have him return to try again for another league title (it would especially make sense for the Indigo League since if not for Team Rocket and using his disobedient Charizard he just might've gone all the way), but it wouldn't make sense to have him try for the same league in consecutive series.
            Old March 13th, 2017 (1:24 AM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by jjc927 View Post
              If they had him go for the same league each time that would be pretty pointless and they wouldn't be able to introduce new region specific Pokémon. They could have him return to try again for another league title (it would especially make sense for the Indigo League since if not for Team Rocket and using his disobedient Charizard he just might've gone all the way), but it wouldn't make sense to have him try for the same league in consecutive series.
              Yeah it would be interesting to see Ash challenge the old leagues again, but the writers haven't really explained how the leagues work. For example:
              Does Ash have to collect all 8 badges again? I would think not, but who knows?
              How often do the leagues take place? I thought it was an annual thing, but I don't think its ever been explained.

But imo, if Ash could just go and challenge the first league again for example, and use all his best pokemon, surely he'd have a very good chance of winning. At least I hope so.
              It would be interesting if they spent a season or more having Ash revisit the old regions, entering the old leagues, and seeing his old companions. I don't think it would ever happen though.
              Old March 26th, 2017 (6:24 PM).
              the fox pokémon
              • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quirky
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by jjc927 View Post
              Yes I know, but you said it doesn't seem like he cares about being a Pokémon master anymore. I think in real life he probably wouldn't be looking to become one so much at this point because he would know at this point it's nothing more than a distant reality, but for plot purposes he still has to have that goal.
              That reminds me, in the episodes of Sun & Moon that have aired so far, I haven't heard anything about Ash saying if he's still aiming to be a Pokemon master. I know Sun & Moon changed the anime formula so drastically (because it wants to compete with Yo-Kai Watch) but going to the point where the concept of being a Pokemon Master is all but forgotten feels like giving the middle finger to those who grew up with hearing the term.

No wonder why I thought Ash had amnesia when he went to Alola...
              Old March 26th, 2017 (6:42 PM).
              Fighting a bigger fight

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
                That reminds me, in the episodes of Sun & Moon that have aired so far, I haven't heard anything about Ash saying if he's still aiming to be a Pokemon master. I know Sun & Moon changed the anime formula so drastically (because it wants to compete with Yo-Kai Watch) but going to the point where the concept of being a Pokemon Master is all but forgotten feels like giving the middle finger to those who grew up with hearing the term.

No wonder why I thought Ash had amnesia when he went to Alola...
                Spoiler:
                In SM014 he pretty much says he wants to be a Pokemon Master, just after Kukui asks Lillie what type of trainer she wants to be and completely interrupts her, how rude

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545
                Old March 26th, 2017 (6:48 PM).
                the fox pokémon
                • Platinum Tier

Okay, at least it's still being acknowledged. But considering the huge focus on the target audience these days, I feel we won't hear much of the Pokemon Master term as much as we used to.
                Old March 27th, 2017 (2:38 AM).

Quote:
                  But considering the huge focus on the target audience these days, I feel we won't hear much of the Pokemon Master term as much as we used to.
                  What target audience are you referring to? Japanese kids I'm assuming? I guess at this point the show really is just trying to compete with other popular shows in Japan, and catering to that target group. But oh well, (completely irrelevant) I think I might start watching Naruto this week considering that the show just wrapped up and I used to watch it as a kid.
                  Old March 27th, 2017 (3:39 AM).
                  the fox pokémon
                  • Platinum Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Pokelitfam View Post
                  What target audience are you referring to? Japanese kids I'm assuming? I guess at this point the show really is just trying to compete with other popular shows in Japan, and catering to that target group. But oh well, (completely irrelevant) I think I might start watching Naruto this week considering that the show just wrapped up and I used to watch it as a kid.
                  Yeah I was talking about Japanese audiences. And like you said, the reason behind the format changing was to compete with other shows that appeal to the age group, with the main contender being Yo-Kai Watch since the new art style resembles that series as well as Rotom Dex clearly being an expy of Whisper.
                  Old March 27th, 2017 (7:50 AM).

In the first episode of the dub that aired on Disney XD back in December Ash does reference wanting to be a Pokémon master. So that goal will still be present I guess, although Aloha certainly doesn't appear to be the place to work towards it.
                    Old March 27th, 2017 (5:06 PM).
                    Day by Day
                    • Platinum Tier

Nature: Lonely
                    Quote:
                    Okay, at least it's still being acknowledged. But considering the huge focus on the target audience these days, I feel we won't hear much of the Pokemon Master term as much as we used to.
                    We'll still at least get to hear those words near the beginning of every (subbed) episode when Ash introduces himself in the opening, if that counts for anything. xD

...That is, until they either replace the opening or remove the narration sequence, aha.

"Our journey has just begun...
                    Let's write our story together."

Club Yu-Gi-Oh! | #TeamTrivia
                    Quick Reply

Sponsored Links