• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most Disappointing Pokémon You Have Used From The Fifth Generation

Limanya

Page of Breath
Years
I don't know what's wrong with Purrloin/Liepard. I love using them. Maybe because they fit with my type of battling! Or just because they are cats. But i really don't like Sigilyph. TERRIBLE POKEMON ALERT! Yup. That's the first thing coming to mind when i'm battling it. Design? Even worse.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Gunna sound wierd but I was playing through on a spare copy of white and finally managed to catch a Drilbur. Everyone has been hyping it up and its even on the Uber list, but when I got it to an Excadrill I was highly disappointed. Its Move pool is ok for its type, still need it to branch out better move wise, but It keeps dying way too fast for me. Brycen OHKO'd it with his Cryognal, when I used it against the E4 it didn't stay up for more than two hits which was odd. I have a neutral nature for it so nature wasn't really an issue. Just don't see why its so hyped up.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2014
Gunna sound wierd but I was playing through on a spare copy of white and finally managed to catch a Drilbur. Everyone has been hyping it up and its even on the Uber list, but when I got it to an Excadrill I was highly disappointed. Its Move pool is ok for its type, still need it to branch out better move wise, but It keeps dying way too fast for me. Brycen OHKO'd it with his Cryognal, when I used it against the E4 it didn't stay up for more than two hits which was odd. I have a neutral nature for it so nature wasn't really an issue. Just don't see why its so hyped up.

Being Uber in the metagame =/= to being good in-game. It really needs a sandstorm going to be successful and needs some good EV training as well.

And I hate to take the lazy route here, but pretty much all of Unova disappointed me, but at the same time none of them did. My hopes for interesting new Pokemon were crushed with Diamond and Pearl(although I really liked the new evolutions in that game) that I couldn't get my hopes up too high.
By far the worst Pokemon of ALL TIME has to be Vanilluxe though, its a f[expletive]ing ice cream cone, and a stupid looking one at that!

I did like a few, such as Giglaith, Zoroark, Reniclus, Axew, and Victini, but there aren't very many more. There are some pretty awesome battlers though.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2012
Haha, I'm probably the only person who would say this, but for me it was Stunfisk.

And I know it's a novelty Pokemon, so it's not supposed to be all that great, but I run novelty/NU/RU teams anyway. I was intrigued by its typing-Electric/Ground was definitely not something you see everyday, right? I had really high hopes for it, but...well, I guess I aimed too high.

I mean, its defenses aren't bad. Actually, it kind of absorbs attacks. But Stunfisk is a major pain to train, because you have to constantly switch it in and out of battle (I bred mine), and it doesn't have the Attack/Sp. Attack to deal too many blows. Additionally, it was weak to too many commonly used types, such as Water, Grass, and Electric, so I decided maybe it wasn't the best choice for my gimmick team.

...Not that I wouldn't use it, just not competitively. For battles against friends, sure. Imagine their faces if they saw a Lv. 100 Stunfisk on the battlefield...

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023

erm are u serious? a sword dance or 2 and it can rape everything ingame. just give it more coverage in its movepool.
of course dont switch it onto something like a sturdy sawk than can esaily revenge kill u with effective fighting moves

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I will have to agree with everyone and say Purrloin/Liepard. I thought it was be a good Pokemon, but it ended up being hard to train. It would take damage too easily and fainted too much for me to deal with.
Also, Solosis. I caught one because I heard Reuniclus was a really good Pokemon. The only problem was it levels up slowly. So I wasn't really motivated to train it and evolve it. I'll admit it has really good Special Attack, but the rest of its stats are awful and I just didn't feel like using it. So it's been boxed since it got to level 24.

Years
Also, Solosis. I caught one because I heard Reuniclus was a really good Pokemon. The only problem was it levels up slowly. So I wasn't really motivated to train it and evolve it. I'll admit it has really good Special Attack, but the rest of its stats are awful and I just didn't feel like using it. So it's been boxed since it got to level 24.

I remember trading a Solosis from my brother's White to raise into a Reuniclus.

She struggled so much I needed to switch her often, not to mention that Solosis evolves like at least 13 levels after it is caught and it doesn't get any decent STAB moves until it learns Psychic, which is at Level 39 as Duosion, only two levels away from Reuniclus.

Gothita's line evolves at the same levels (32 and 41) but unlike Solosis, Gothita has a decent STAB move right off the bat. So yeah, Gothita is easier to train than her counterpart Solosis not to mention she has slightly better Speed.

I eventually got my Reuniclus in the end cos I never gave up.

DarkAbsolX

Pokemon World Champion 50Times
Years
Pokemon I found disappointing:

522.gif
523.gif

Blitzle & Zebstrika
A Zebra Pokemon was something I always wanted but unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations. Blitzle's defenses are so low it falls easily so guys, if you are training one please give it an Exp. Share. After evolving, Zebstrika's defenses are finally patched up but a lack of good moves was bad. Mine was able to beat Elesa's whole team though cos I did an Attract + Shock Wave + Flame Charge strategy. At least the design is awesome.

509.gif
510.gif

Purrloin & Liepard
Its defenses are so frail and all its stats suck apart from Speed. Also, it starts out really weak offense-wise and takes way too long to learn Night Slash. Definitely the worst of the cat Pokemon IMO.

568.gif
569.gif

Trubbish & Garbodor
These Poison-types really stink, don't use them. They are physical-based but the problem is the only physical STAB move they learn is Gunk Shot which is so inaccurate. And the Garbodor with Weak Armor are even worse. Hate Garbodor...

590.gif
591.gif

Foongus & Amoonguss
These Pokemon are so crap, they are really sluggish and their attacks don't do much. I didn't really enjoy them a lot cos of that.

618.gif

Stunfisk
One word, derp. Very slow and its like a terrible novelty Pokemon.

631.gif

Heatmor
Definitely the worst of the Unova Fire-types.

599.gif
600.gif
601.gif

Klink, Klang & Klinklang
I love these gears, they were OK. The problem is they are physical attackers and they don't have the right movepool to pull it off.

519.gif
520.gif
521.gif

Pidove, Tranquill & Unfezant
I love the design, but the movepool is terrible. Physical based but the only physical Flying-type attacks they can learn are Fly, Pluck and Aerial Ace. I still enjoyed using Air Cutter/Air Slash on a Super Luck Unfezant equipped with Scope Lens. If you want to use this pigeon, get Super Luck for the ability cos Big Pecks is terrible.

615.gif

Cryogonal
I love the design but its defense is so terrible despite being a special wall. It's like an Ice-type Blissey in some way. At least it gets an interesting movepool though.

621.gif

Druddigon
One word, terrible Speed. Good movepool and abilities make up for it though.

616.gif
617.gif

Shelmet & Accelgor
They are very interesting but their strategies are so different. Shelmet uses defensive tactics but when it evolves, it has to adapt to being offensive. Accelgor's defenses and movepool sucked despite the cool design.

588.gif
589.gif

Karrablast & Escavalier
Cool designs but Escavalier's real dilemma is Speed. So sluggish everything will attack before it unless if it's Munchlax or Shuckle. Like Accelgor, Escavalier's movepool also didn't live up to expectations.

594.gif

Alomomola
I like it's amazing support movepool but on the offensive spectrum, it's physical-based but lacks good physical Water-type attacks. Just focus on its support moves and you should be fine.

527.gif
528.gif

Woobat & Swoobat
The design looks cute and quirky but their stats all stink apart from Speed. At least they can learn Acrobatics, which is nice.

555-zen.gif

Darmanitan (Zen Mode)
I hate it cos when Zen Mode triggers, you are so close to getting knocked out which is bad considering Zen Mode slows Darmanitan down and turns it into a Special attacker. Sheer Force is the much better ability.

Well i liked Zebstrika and Escavaleir..
The other pokemons i agree with you..
I can't even explain what is that garbage pokemon..
Who wants to use a garbagge bag?

One more thing..I CAN'T BELIEVE I WAS ABSENT FROM THE FORUM SINCE 2009(!)..

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2012
Welcome back, DarkAbsolX! Nice to meet you :)

And I don't know why they made a garbage bag Pokemon. Are they running out of ideas...?

Anyways, Zebstrika sort of disappointed me. Its design was so awesome-looking, but mine couldn't take any hits...

Illuminaughty

The Graceful Idiot
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2012
As many of you have already indicated, Liepard is soooooo disappointing. I usually don't even care if the stats or movepools are just sub-par, but Liepard was just flat-out useless. I hope that Liepard is given an evolution in a future generation because I love it's design but it is just so weak.

Well, I guess it's not as disappointing as Delcatty, which doesn't even break into the 400 base-stat range.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2013
Like some guy said earlier, Drilbur just wasn't doing it for me. I got it thinking I'd turn it into a Phys Attack monster, but honestly it's damage output even evolved and at high levels was rather meh all things considered (My Samurott was just as strong and had better defense). It really bummed me out because I kept waiting for it to turn into this awesome beast and it just never did.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
I think Tepig is pretty dissappointing.
I JUST started Black yesterday(my b-day gift :D)) and I have to say, another fire/fighting starter is disappointing.

And I don't know why they made a garbage bag Pokemon. Are they running out of ideas...?
^^This!!! I'm still waiting for a chair pokemon that is an electric type, or a tree pokemon that is Grass/Fire ;)

SilentShadow

Agent of Mystery
Years
I'm going with Eelecktross, looking at it, it was one of the coolest designs of the 5th gen and had levitate, no weaknesses! But when I caught Tynamo (after searching for forever) it was a complete letdown for what it was. First off at Tynamo, you are stuck with only 4 moves, cant change 'em. Eventually, I did get it to its final stage, but it wasn't THAT powerful and eventually I dumped it for a Braviary

DarkAbsolX

Years
Liepard Still better than a garbage bag...
An attacker garbage bag that only learns Gunk shot as it's best physical attack..

Gunk shot that for itself is soooooo inaccurate..

I think Blaziken and Infernape where awesome for Fire/Fighting types but Emboar is like a "wanabe" of those two..

And those gear pokemon..geez..what's happening to the creativity of the designers?

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
Hm... I never had any issues with my Zebstrika. In fact, I was quite satisfied. I always used a Pikachu/Raichu in the past games. Except for in HG - I had to use Ampharos for the walkthrough and that Pokemon was a slight disappointment (although the pre-evolutions are adorable).

The one that I thought I would use but ended up not using was the fire monkey... Pansear? I got to around Lvl. 20, but it just wasn't powerful enough. It kept on getting defeated and I got sick of training it.

DarkAbsolX

Years
I agree with you in the apes thing..

I have one Pansear but i didn't go with his stats..I gave up on him when i found Larvesta and after Volcarona (one of the best fire pokemons in my opinion).

I like Zebstrika though..

But i don't agree with you when you said Ampharos was disappointing..

Come on ..Ampharos is so cool and powerfull too !!

Cariad

world.search(you);
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 25, 2023
Like the others have said, Liepard. It's movepool sucks and it's defense is a little too low for my liking. At least it's design was cute, otherwise I don't think I'd own one on my Black file.

TheFinalBrandon

Frigid Heart
Years
For me, it was Swoobat. I had some fun punching stuff with Woobat's nose (That is how I imagine Heart Stamp works), but for the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th gym, it served no purpose other than fodder, and even then it is pretty frail so it never was that good at it. Even in the Elite Four, its impact against Marshall was 3rd rate, and it is Psychic/Flying.

Back