• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2013
I think that Fairy should at least be weak to Electric types. It should be weak to electric types because, it is the closest type of Pokemon we have to humans and as humans are like 70% water we are quite vulnerable to electriciy so presuming the fairy types have a similar biological structure to humans then I think they should be weak to electric types - although going off this theory would mean grass types are in a similar situation but they aren't weak to electric types so it could go either way.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
What pokémon should become FAIRY type?

There is a thread in the X & Y section for discussion about the gaming aspects of this new Fairy type that has been added to the new generation.

But here, I'd like for us to specifically speculate on what existing pokémon from older generations might end up with Fairy type! So far only Gardevoir, Marill and Jigglypuff are known to get it (unless I've missed some news already).

What pokémon do you think will be retconned to have the new type?

Are there pokémon you wish would get it but probably won't for one reason or another? Such as them already having two types. Discusssss​

zlip

______
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2013
Better than what it could have been. And being super effective against dragons make sense too. All throughout history, fairies and dragons have always been considered mythological and magical creatures. However they always seem to be on opposing sides with Western world stories portraying fairies as good and dragon as bad and vice versa in Eastern world stories. Generally the best way to defeat dragons is said to be magic, which would also explain why dragons are weak to dragons, as other dragons are magical as well. (They also probably just wanted a type to balance out dragons.)

I'm wondering if this has any tie ins with the upcoming movie? I've always thought of Mew as a fairy-like Pokémon so that might play over into Mewtwo as well...

Last edited:

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
There is a thread in the X & Y section for discussion about the gaming aspects of this new Fairy type that has been added to the new generation.

But here, I'd like for us to specifically speculate on what existing pokémon from older generations might end up with Fairy type! So far only Gardevoir, Marill and Jigglypuff are known to get it (unless I've missed some news already).

What pokémon do you think will be retconned to have the new type?

Are there pokémon you wish would get it but probably won't for one reason or another? Such as them already having two types. Discusssss​

Sylveon and Flabébé, the 2 new ones, are Fairy as well, and Snubbull has gained it too. Here are some I'd like to see gain the Fairy type:

Clefairy's evolutionary line
Jigglypuff's evolutionary line
Chansey's evolutionary line
Audino
Togepi's evolutionary line (would involve taking the Flying aspect from Togetic and Togekiss)
Bellossom
Milotic
Chingling and Chimecho
Jirachi
Mime Jr. and Mr. Mime
Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf
Munna and Musharna

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Better than what it could have been. And being super effective against dragons make sense too. All throughout history, fairies and dragons have always been considered mythological and magical creatures. However they always seem to be on opposing sides with Western world stories portraying fairies as good and dragon as bad and vice versa in Eastern world stories. Generally the best way to defeat dragons is said to be magic, which would also explain why dragons are weak to dragons, as other dragons are magical as well. (They also probably just wanted a type to balance out dragons.)

I'm wondering if this has any tie ins with the upcoming movie? I've always thought of Mew as a fairy-like Pokémon so that might play over into Mewtwo as well...

Depending on source, magic is the worst way to defeat Dragons. A lot of stories and games i've had, dragons were all but immune to magic. Some, their scales reflected magic making them semi-impervious. In others, their tolerance was so high that your ultimate magic spells were pretty much as effective as mosquito bites. Some could be sealed away through magic but only because it protected the area against their abilities. Fairies are usually hiding from Dragons in fear. Fairy being SE against Dragon makes 0 sense at all based on myths and stories with the two involved. Gamefreak just picked something random from what it seems. Its just another, "It's Pokemon, just accept it." Type of ordeals.

Years
Depending on source, magic is the worst way to defeat Dragons. A lot of stories and games i've had, dragons were all but immune to magic. Some, their scales reflected magic making them semi-impervious. In others, their tolerance was so high that your ultimate magic spells were pretty much as effective as mosquito bites. Some could be sealed away through magic but only because it protected the area against their abilities. Fairies are usually hiding from Dragons in fear. Fairy being SE against Dragon makes 0 sense at all based on myths and stories with the two involved. Gamefreak just picked something random from what it seems. Its just another, "It's Pokemon, just accept it." Type of ordeals.
It depends on the stories you're familiar with. A lot of the time dragons are rare or special or otherwise notable in a story's plot so they're extra dangerous and almost nothing can stop them. In that sense "dragon" is a placeholder for "powerful adversary" or "difficult task." It makes sense for dragons in Pokemon to be extra powerful like they are if we use that meaning, but then if we're only basing how strong Pokemon types should be from the sources we're drawing from then Dark-types should be even more powerful because there are countless stories with evil villains who are nigh-unstoppable. Why should Dark-types be weak to Bug-type movies? That doesn't make any sense, except when you take into account that in Pokemon things need to be balanced and that Types are a template for Pokemon, that type names are generic. (Otherwise Grass-types would be weak to everything because, you know, it's grass.) So we shouldn't think of Dragon-types as representing the role that dragons play in movies, games, etc. and we shouldn't do the same for fairies. We have to think about what each type represents, and in Pokemon I'd say that the Dragon type represents a kind of "monstrous-ness" even more so than other Pokemon. Dragon is an element like Fire or Electric, a theme or a pattern.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Fairy being SE against Dragon makes 0 sense at all based on myths and stories with the two involved. Gamefreak just picked something random from what it seems. Its just another, "It's Pokemon, just accept it." Type of ordeals.

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2013
Based on appearance only,

Skitty/Delcatty
Audino
Milotic
Snubbull
Spoink/Grumpig
Aipom/Ambipom
Cottonee/Whimsicott
Clamperl
Beautifly
Dustox
Butterfree
Flaaffy
Flygon
Gorebyss
Luvdisc
Cherrim
Finneon/Lumineon

Years
I could definitely see the Clefairy and Snubbull lines become Fairy-types, mainly because of their species classification (Fairy Pokemon) and the fact they are in the Fairy egg group. Same probably with Skitty and Delcatty, since they're also Fairy egg group Pokemon. Audino I could also see as another possibility.

I don't think the Pikachu line would become Fairy-type, I don't Game Freak would ever touch Pokemon's mascot like that.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Oooh. What if they foreshadowed this typing all along by making an egg group with it? :p But I doubt all the pokémon in that egg group will become fairy typed.

In a way, you could argue that most legendary midgets should be fairy. Aren't Celebi and Jirachi fairy-like with their lore and looks? But they won't get it, as they have important dual typings already. I doubt they would touch any legendary actually, as they have their important typings for lore and game reasons and stuff. Not even Shaymin; it's grass/flying for reasons so.

But the three pixies of Sinnoh are another story. I could totally see them gain that type. I have no idea what that would mean for competitive battling but let's not go there here haha. They are, in essence, based on fairies.

Other than that, I agree with CloysterOyster's list. Volbeat and Illumise sound like good types to make fairies! Take away their flying type. Milotic and Bellossom are perfect candidates too, imo, as are the Skitty and Spoink families but I don't agree with Aipom and Cottonee. Aipom isn't really a fairy in any sense and Cottonee and its evo have grass/flying as important typings. I also don't think the "early bugs" will gain fairy type. Even though the butterflies would certainly benefit from it ^^ Flygon too has important ground/dragon typing already which makes it kind of unique and special.

The rest of Igglybuff's list, I can agree on :D Especially Flaaffy + Ampharos and the last names on the list. Gorebyss for fairy queen! (give that forgotten pokémon some powers, please?)

Yeah, I don't think Pikachu will become a fairy either. Although it would make the anime a bit interesting ^^ Pikachu all of the sudden learning a fairy move and awaking a new side of himself.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
well Ill just mention one that I did not see on anyones list. which would be ninetails. I would like to see ninetails become a fire/fairy type :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
well Ill just mention one that I did not see on anyones list. which would be ninetails. I would like to see ninetails become a fire/fairy type :D
That sounds like a really good idea. It's kind of based off a curse though... Isn't that a bit too grim to be a fairy?

I honestly think Crescellia would do really good as a Fairy type.
I think both Cresselia and Darkrai should gain the fairy type ^^ Unless Darkrai is too grim, of course.

Maybe Mewtwo's new form is fairy type too, btw.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I merged your thread with the existing one, RHCP, as there doesn't really need to be two threads on Fairy types across different sections (generally such cases result in a merge), and the specific topic about which old Pokemon should be retyped into Fairy is already discussed in the XY section (and mentioned in the opening post as well).

tnfsf11

Can someone PLEASE tell me if the female Mewtwo is part Fairy or not?????????

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I merged your thread with the existing one, RHCP, as there doesn't really need to be two threads on Fairy types across different sections (generally such cases result in a merge), and the specific topic about which old Pokemon should be retyped into Fairy is already discussed in the XY section (and mentioned in the opening post as well).
Fair enough ^^

I'll take the opportunity to say, like I think someone said before, that I think the new type should have been named Light instead. In the sense of "good" as opposed to the Dark type which is called Evil type in Japanese. Although, it wouldn't have caused the same pokémon to be considered for a retyping, probably, and it's pretty cool that this type is super effective against dragons.

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman
I like this also!

Huh, female Mewtwo? Ooh, from the movie. Nice thing. But the "male" Mewtwo was listed as genderless so I doubt the new voice means that the pokémon really is female. I think it would be cool if the new form was part fairy though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well fairies are actually more chaotic than evil in the old myths, sometimes they did "good" things because they found it fun, or it benefitted them.

Anyways I do think that fairy being stronger than Dragon makes more sense than say Bug defeating Dark...as Dark is suppose to be evil in japan and usually Evil isn't afraid of bugs but likes them...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 16, 2014
So what if Fairy was weak against Normal? Or Psychic? You know how in some lore, fairies get their power from people believing in them or whatever. They are dependent on normal people, or the human mind, whichever way works. It would be kind of cool to see Normal type have one SE, since Fighting kills it and it can't touch Ghost. I doubt this would happen, but it's an interesting theory.

Back