• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Unova Red - Completed ROM Hack

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Hack of Pokemon Red Version (using the Pokered disassembly).
Unova Red is a re-imagining of Generation 1, but using the Pokedex from Generation 5. This is because the Unova Pokedex was designed to stand alone without any Pokemon from additional regions, much like the original Pokedex. The plot is effectively identical to the Generation 1 games, the only major change is in the Pokemon available. There is also a challenge mode patch which provides a more difficult version of the same hack.

Features:
-All 156 Generation 5 Pokemon exist in this game.
-Trade evolutions and friendly evolutions have been changed to either regular level up evolutions, or a certain item. All stone evolutions use stones available in Gen 1.
-Due to the shorter length of a Kanto playthrough compared to a Unova playthrough, some Pokemon have had their evolution levels decreased to fit better within the Gen 1 games.
-The Dark and Steel types have been added. The type matchup chart has been updated to its usage in Gen 5.
-Attacks still determine physical or special damage based on type, though Ghost has been changed to special, and Dark has been changed to Physical.
-New moves have been added, either to add move coverage to Dark and Steel, flesh out certain underrepresented types, or serve as signature moves for certain Pokemon. An equivalent amount of Gen 1 moves have been removed from the game, either signature moves of Gen 1 Pokemon, or moves that did not fit well with the Gen 5 Pokedex.
-A few TMs have been changed. However, as in Gen 1, TMs are still one-time use, and the good ones are quite valuable.
-Moves have, in general, been updated to match their stats from Gen 5, including base power, PP, accuracy, and side effects. Gust, Karate Chop, Bite, and Sand-Attack are no longer Normal type. Also, Focus Energy has been fixed and now works properly.
-Notably, the hack attempts to maintain the 'feel' of a Gen 1 game. This includes Pokemon learning pretty few STAB moves overall, and TMs being at a premium. Most other wonky attributes of Gen 1 have been kept in place, including type effectiveness sometimes not displaying properly (though it is always calculated properly).
-There have been a few adjustments to certain locations to accommodate for the large amount of legendary Pokemon in Gen 5. For example, Cerulean Cave / Unknown Dungeon is no longer an end-game area, and there is no longer a guard blocking it. Keep an eye out for changes!

Challenge Mode Features:
-All trainers have higher levels than usual, along a steady curve.
-A few new trainers have been added to the early game.
-Battle Style is always on SET, regardless of options.
-HP restoring items (Potion, Super Potion, Hyper Potion, Max Potion, Fresh Water, Soda Pop, Lemonade) and Revives cannot be used in battle. Max Revives can still be used in battle due to their inability to be purchased. Full Restores can also be used in battle, though they can no longer be purchased. Status and PP restoring items can also be used in battle.

Credits:
Credits go to iiMarckus and everyone responsible for working on the Pokered disassembly. Additional thanks to Mateo, Crystal, Rangi, and Danny-E33, whose code and advice helped a good bit with coding this hack, even through replying to others' questions. Also, credits to the anons on Reddit and 4chan for the creation of the rather infamous sprite art used in this hack. I wasn't able to find any real credits or names attached to this, so hopefully this doesn't get anyone upset.

Download Link:
mediafire.com/file/51rakcep247we3z/Unova+Red.zip - Normal Game
mediafire.com/file/p5bhhi2jzsjhpx2/Unova+Red+-+Challenge.zip - Challenge Mode
Link comes with the .ips patch for Unova Red (patches the base Red Version ROM that Pokered builds), a readme with much of the same points as above, and some spoiler logs where you can get information on learnsets, evolution methods and levels, individual Pokemon locations, as well as wild Pokemon percentage per location.

This ROM hack is effectively complete. All of its intended features have been accounted for, so there will likely not be any major updates incoming unless there is some game breaking bug that I'd somehow missed. Any suggestions for anything that needs tweaking or cleaning up is appreciated. Have fun!

Last edited:

Supa_Furai

The Unbreakable Pylon
Years
I know this doesn't probably rank highly on your list of concerns, but is it possible to make this hack more compatible with PKHex? If not, apologies for asking.
As for the hack itself, it's pretty great. Thanks for all of your hard work on this.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Hi, sorry it took so long to see your reply. It's been a while since I checked this thread. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with PKHex. I assume it's some kind of hex editor? I didn't use a hex editor to make this hack, I used a disassembly project that decompiled the ROM into (mostly) human-readable assembly code, which I could then recompile to build the ROM. So I wouldn't really know where to start in making the ROM usable with a hex editor. Thanks for the kind words though, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Would you be willing to release the Github source? I'd like to change some things (Max level, some HM typings, etc)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Ok, so I couldn't exactly figure out how to get the project onto github, and don't really want to expend the time and energy to get the hang of it, so in the interest of getting the source code to you as quickly as possible, I've zipped it into an archive here: .mediafire.com/file/5yv8r37grdh178b/unova_red_source.zip

Sorry about that, I'm not exactly well versed in stuff like git. Hope this helps!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Yeah, I can see that maybe being too much. I had been debating lowering its level, but I was actually told by a few people on a different forum that it was way too easy, so I decided to leave it alone. If you're at a type disadvantage, I did put some Pokemon in the forest that should be able to help. Thanks for the feedback!

Years
Quickly trained up my blitzle to take archen out. I went in below level on blitzle when I posted so that is why I was having a tough time.

Also as for the other starters how are they actually determined for which one you get when you get to a city that has a starter gift since you obviously start with one of three?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
It is based on your starter, the first gift starter is the one with a type disadvantage, and the second is the one your rival picked. So like if you picked Snivy, you'll get Oshawott at the first gift location and Tepig at the second, etc.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Ok, so I couldn't exactly figure out how to get the project onto github, and don't really want to expend the time and energy to get the hang of it, so in the interest of getting the source code to you as quickly as possible, I've zipped it into an archive here: .mediafire.com/file/5yv8r37grdh178b/unova_red_source.zip

Sorry about that, I'm not exactly well versed in stuff like git. Hope this helps!

Hey thanks! I ran into a problem making it though. IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'pic/bmon/Audino.png'
make: *** [Makefile:51: pic/bmon/Audino.2bpp] Error 1

I checked that file, and it's not there. Hm. Do you have that Audino in your directory? It may not have uploaded in the zip for whatever reason...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Ah, I seem to recall the Audino front sprite being wiped by the make process for some reason. I kept a copy in a different archive and would copy-paste it when I would need to build anything that would re-make the sprites directory. I must have zipped the directory without the image there, sorry about that. I'll update the zip archive once I'm home from work and post an update here once it's updated. Sorry about that.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Ah, I seem to recall the Audino front sprite being wiped by the make process for some reason. I kept a copy in a different archive and would copy-paste it when I would need to build anything that would re-make the sprites directory. I must have zipped the directory without the image there, sorry about that. I'll update the zip archive once I'm home from work and post an update here once it's updated. Sorry about that.

So, I compiled it (Using another PKMN's front sprite named Audino, to see if any errors remain) and while it works, the music in battle and title screen is not playing... Probably an error on my part though..

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Hm, I'm not sure where that could be coming from. I didn't mess with any of the audio files or the title sequence, other than the list of title screen Pokemon sprites to display.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 3, 2019
Hello, Azure_Keys.
I would like to know how the pokemons were given their Special stat, if it was based on the pokemon's original Special Attack or Special Defense stat

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Hello, Azure_Keys.
I would like to know how the pokemons were given their Special stat, if it was based on the pokemon's original Special Attack or Special Defense stat

I just averaged the SpAtk and SpDef of each Pokemon to come up with the Special stat

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Hi! It's a silly question but do I need to patch this with FireRed?? Thanks in advance
Edit: Ok It's not the FireRed rom.[I'm an idiot coz I forgot there was a Red rom for GBC] But I patched it to a new Red rom and I got some errors and it crashed. (I'm using No$GBA btw)
Do I need to download a specific version of the Red rom?? [Like the Squirrels version for FireRed]
Edit: Never mind... This only works on VBA coz it's a GBC rom [again i'm an idiot for not noticing this sooner]😑

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Hi! It's a silly question but do I need to patch this with FireRed?? Thanks in advance
Edit: Ok It's not the FireRed rom.[I'm an idiot coz I forgot there was a Red rom for GBC] But I patched it to a new Red rom and I got some errors and it crashed. (I'm using No$GBA btw)
Do I need to download a specific version of the Red rom?? [Like the Squirrels version for FireRed]
Edit: Never mind... This only works on VBA coz it's a GBC rom [again i'm an idiot for not noticing this sooner]😑

Oh hey, sorry I didn't see this post sooner. Glad you got it figured out though!

Back