• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020

Quick Questions & Answers

This thread is for any quick questions you might have, that would not warrant their own threads as they could likely be answered in one or two posts. If you have a bigger problem you need help with, feel free to make a separate thread for it.

Thread rules

Do not demand for answers to your questions!
People to not have to answer your questions, they do it because they want to! Not only are those posts annoying, they also are completely pointless! If such a post is found, it will probably be deleted.

When answering, quote the post with the question.
This is here to simply keep organization. It is much easier to read the thread when you have both the question and the answer. The users quoted will also get a notification so they will know their question has been replied to.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 120
  • Seen Mar 21, 2018
hello, i wanted to know how to insert new images for events in the map.. like mewtwo or legendary birds have.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 6, 2014
how do you add pokemon from 4th and 5th Gen to a 3rd gen game?
thats where im stuck at.

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
how do you add pokemon from 4th and 5th Gen to a 3rd gen game?
thats where im stuck at.

Get the 4th gen and 5th gen sprites from the Art and Design section. Download them. Then download Gen III Rom Hacking Suite and once you open it, there is a sprite tab. It shows all the pokemon front and back sprites, also shiny. There is a button that says load all sprites something like that. You just load the sprite sheet you want, 4th gen or 5th, and there you go.

Hope it helps. If it didn't just message me privately and I'll help you

Years
I didn't see anything about this in the tutorial section of ROM hacking.
How would you change a pokemon's typing in a ROM hack?
Also, I really want to make a hack with pokemon from generations 1-5 -- should I find a DS hack tool program or get a GBA hack tool program and add pokemon. Which would be easier? Also, it would be nice if someone could point me to a relatively-easy-to-use hack tool set, because I'm a beginner. Thanks!
(sorry if I sould annoying, but I really want to get familiar with a program before I even start the hack.)

My friend and I are making a ROM based of Emerald.
Is there a program that allows two people to work on the project at the same time? Like a sorta Google Drive for ROM hacking? Because that would make it more convenient for both of us.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
The simple questions thread is closed so I wasn't sure where to go... I guess I'll just use the beginners lounge...? In Pokemon my a** he has seven starter pokemon to choose from, how do you have more than three options... Also (less important but I would still like an answe)r He has a separate mart where you can buy pokemon for $30,000. How do I do this?
Thanks!

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Anyone know of a "checkweather" command? With having running shoes enabled everywhere, you can also use the bike anywhere at that point. Trying to incorporate a check inside of the bike item where it checks for this. Any help or suggestions would be great. If anyone wants the basis behind this, I'm developing a field move with Touched where a pokemon chooses a move such as "Ride" or something and it checks for the pokemon's species, level, HP, and a held item (probably a saddle). So with that any suggestions on a checkweather or anything else to help dismount the player off the bike inside would be great. I was thinking check for "In-house weather" and if yes then dismount the player. Thanks for any tips or help in advance~

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Anyone know of a "checkweather" command? With having running shoes enabled everywhere, you can also use the bike anywhere at that point. Trying to incorporate a check inside of the bike item where it checks for this. Any help or suggestions would be great. If anyone wants the basis behind this, I'm developing a field move with Touched where a pokemon chooses a move such as "Ride" or something and it checks for the pokemon's species, level, HP, and a held item (probably a saddle). So with that any suggestions on a checkweather or anything else to help dismount the player off the bike inside would be great. I was thinking check for "In-house weather" and if yes then dismount the player. Thanks for any tips or help in advance~

The closest you can get to a checkweather command would be reading the 'default map weather' byte in the game's RAM. This post shows how you can store the byte to a variable in FireRed. Since you're using Emerald, here it is with the correct RAM addresses:

Code:
setvar 0x8004 0x0
copybyte 0x020375E0 0x0203732E

EDIT: This saves it to 0x8004, not 0x8000.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Can someone tell me how to change the starter Pokemon in FireRed via hex editing? I kept trying to find a tutorial for this but all I get are videos about A-Starter (Which doesn't work with MrDS' patch (Which I am using for this hack I'm currently working on)) or unrelated scripting tutorials.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Can someone tell me how to change the starter Pokemon in FireRed via hex editing? I kept trying to find a tutorial for this but all I get are videos about A-Starter (Which doesn't work with MrDS' patch (Which I am using for this hack I'm currently working on)) or unrelated scripting tutorials.

Decompile the script using XSE and A map, replace the givepokemon and showpokepic with the one you want.

Woohoo the thread is back ^__^

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Also, is there any way I can get A-Map (Specificially 1.92) to work with hacks that have more than the standard number of types? (Specifically ROMs with the Fairy-type added (Added (Such as hacks that use MrDS's patch), and not hacks which use the Fairy-type as a replacement for "???")) Do I have to add support for an extended PokeDex in order to do this?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Also, is there any way I can get A-Map (Specificially 1.92) to work with hacks that have more than the standard number of types? (Specifically ROMs with the Fairy-type added (Added (Such as hacks that use MrDS's patch), and not hacks which use the Fairy-type as a replacement for "???")) Do I have to add support for an extended PokeDex in order to do this?

In fact, there is a really easy way for this. GoGo made it quite easy to expand what A-Map to include Pokemon from MrDS's ROM Base.

Follow the instructions at the link and there you go. Make sure you download THAT specific A-Map or it won't work.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8271873&postcount=502

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
In fact, there is a really easy way for this. GoGo made it quite easy to expand what A-Map to include Pokemon from MrDS's ROM Base.

Follow the instructions at the link and there you go. Make sure you download THAT specific A-Map or it won't work.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8271873&postcount=502

It's not just for MrDS' ROM Base, it's for any amount of expanded pokemon. No matter the game. Just make sure to edit it correctly or you'll get errors.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Thanks for the A-Map. But anyways my hack has the default amount of Pokemon (412) and I don't plan to add any more past this. I actually believe it was the RomType name and the Fairy-type that caused my patched ROM to be displayed with errors. I did try to edit in the "MrDS" RomType into the ini file (Though via the lazy way of just copy/pasting the BPR thing and replacing BPR with MrDS (I even tried MrD and still came up with errors)) but it ended up nowhere. A No-Fairy Patched Rom with MrDS' patch (With nothing hex edited, with "BPRE" where "MrDS" is supposed to be added at) caused a rom with the patch to work. I'm not exactly sure what the bigger problem is here, though at this point it's best off that I just create another thread after this.

GoGoJJTech

Years
Thanks for the A-Map. But anyways my hack has the default amount of Pokemon (412) and I don't plan to add any more past this. I actually believe it was the RomType name and the Fairy-type that caused my patched ROM to be displayed with errors. I did try to edit in the "MrDS" RomType into the ini file (Though via the lazy way of just copy/pasting the BPR thing and replacing BPR with MrDS (I even tried MrD and still came up with errors)) but it ended up nowhere. A No-Fairy Patched Rom with MrDS' patch (With nothing hex edited, with "BPRE" where "MrDS" is supposed to be added at) caused a rom with the patch to work. I'm not exactly sure what the bigger problem is here, though at this point it's best off that I just create another thread after this.

It's not the expanded amount of pokemon then. Also, advance map doesn't read pokemon types, just their names. So anything related to pokemon other than the names wouldn't cause amap an issue, and that's not even the case here. It must be something map-related.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
Okay, turns out the problem lies in the A-Map you provided not recognizing "MrDS" as an actual RomType. Then again my maps were already edited via MEH, so that may be the problem I guess? But how do I get "MrDS" to be accepted by A-Map? (How do I add extra RomTypes into A-Map is basically what I'm saying)

GoGoJJTech

Years
Okay, turns out the problem lies in the A-Map you provided not recognizing "MrDS" as an actual RomType. Then again my maps were already edited via MEH, so that may be the problem I guess? But how do I get "MrDS" to be accepted by A-Map? (How do I add extra RomTypes into A-Map is basically what I'm saying)

It would require adding an instance of "MrD" to every ini, and that's not ideal now is it?
You can easily change MrDS in a hex editor back to BPRE, and when you're done just put it back.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 24, 2014
Does anyone know a good trainer editor(edits the pokemon trainers have)? I've tried UTE, BattleEd, and whatever trainer editor G3T has, and they all have corrupted the ROM. Without fail. Does anyone know one that doesnt do this?

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Does anyone know a good trainer editor(edits the pokemon trainers have)? I've tried UTE, BattleEd, and whatever trainer editor G3T has, and they all have corrupted the ROM. Without fail. Does anyone know one that doesnt do this?

I've used A-Trainer since day 1.
Find the download link and other tools here: Link

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Anyone here knows how to edit the multiplier in critical attacks? :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back