• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] ? THE POTTERLOCKE CHALLENGE ?REVIVED

Years

『 THE POTTERLOCKE 』

Welcome young wizard and witch, to the 『 THE POTTERLOCKE 』 challenge!
A nuzlocke variant based on the the wizarding world of HP, where you get to sort
your captured Pokemon into houses according to their natures and each house has
different rulesets, boons and banes. Will you accept the challenge?

latest

『 i. nuzlocke rules 』

• You may only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in a route.
  • DUPES and SHINY clauses are on.
  • You must nickname all your captured Pokemon.
  • GIFT clause is off.
  • Once a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released or permaboxed.

『 ii. house assortment & house specific rules 』

• Once a Pokemon is sorted into a House, it can only fight alongside others from the same House! Pokemon from one House cannot be switched out for Pokemon in different Houses.
  • After you complete the challenge, sort Houses from best/most helpful to the least.
  • Each new Pokemon caught is sorted depending on its nature into one of the following Houses:

latest

• Pokemon that are: Brave, Bold, Impish, Rash, Hasty, Relaxed are sorted into here
  • They are chivalrous, they may switch in to help other houses once per gym badge.
  • They are cocky, they must play as if they are on Set mode, and in a trainer battle cannot switch out before allowing their opponent at least one chance to attack them.

latest

• Pokemon that are: Hardy, Docile, Naive, Modest, Gentle, Jolly, Bashful are sorted into here
  • They are unafraid of toil, only Hufflepuff Pokemon are allowed to use HM's. HM slaves are allowed ONLY if an HM is required to proceed and no Hufflepuff can learn it
  • They are fair, they cannot use status moves in-battle.

latest

• Pokemon that are: Calm, Quirky, Sassy, Quiet, Mild, Timid are sorted into here
  • They are creative, only Ravenclaw Pokemon are allowed to use TM's.
  • They are elite, they cannot use attack moves when they are Not Very Effective.

latest

• Pokemon that are: Lonely, Adamant, Naughty, Lax, Serious, Careful are sorted into here
  • They are ambitious, only Slytherin Pokemon allowed to use held items.
  • They love toadying, their levels must not be higher than next gym leader's lowest-level Pokemon.

『 iii. eras of magic 』

• Dursley Era (before 1st Badge/1st Trial)
    No magic allowed! Don't use any Special moves and no sorting yet, so Pokemon can all fight on one team.​
  • Philosopher's Stone (after 1st Badge/1st Trial)
    Sorting begins! From here on out, Pokemon can no longer switch out for those in different houses.​
  • Chamber of Secrets (after 2nd Badge/1st Kahuna)
    A basilisk is running around petrifying students! Any Pokemon afflicted with the SLEEP condition in battle must be boxed at the end of the battle, and cannot be taken out until the 3rd gym badge is obtained.​
  • Prisoner of Azkaban (after 3rd Badge/2nd Trial)
    Sirius Black is on the loose and all Hogsmeade trips are banned! The PokeMart cannot be used until the next gym badge is obtained.​
  • Goblet of Fire (after 4th Badge/3rd Trial)
    Pick a Triwizard Champion from Hogwarts. This Pokemon must lead in every trainer battle, including the Gym Leader's. If this Pokemon dies, pick another Champion.​
  • Order of the Phoenix (after 5th Badge/2nd Kahuna)
    Time to recruit members for Dumbledore's Army! Take some Pokemon out from the box and train them. The team for the 6th gym battle must have at least 3 Pokemon that the 5th gym's team didn't! Umbridge's embargo is in effect, NO items can be used during this segment. That includes TM's and evolution stones! (The sole exception is using balls to catch new Pokemon.) Pokemon centers can still be used. Slytherin Pokemon, as members of the Inquisitorial Squad, are exempt from this rule.​
  • Half-Blood Prince (after 6th Badge/4th Trial)
    If one of your Pokemon dies, you must pick another Pokemon in your party and must be boxed at the end of the battle, and cannot be taken out until the 7th gym badge is obtained. No Slytherins can be in the party until the next gym badge is obtained.​
  • Deathly Hallows Part 1 (after 7th Badge/3rd Kahuna)
    You're camping in the woods and isolated! After getting the 7th badge, you may use the PC box once to choose your team of Pokemon. Thereafter, you cannot use the box for this entire segment. (The exception is boxing/releasing dead Pokemon.)​
  • Deathly Hallows Part 2 (after 8th Badge/Lusamine(SM) or Hapu (USUM))
    The four Houses must unite! (yes, even Slytherin.) Pokemon can now switch out for those in other Houses. If possible, face the Elite Four with at least one Pokemon of each House in your party.​

『 iv. sign-up 』
HTML:
[INDENT][B]Username[/B]:
[B]Game[/B]:
[/INDENT]

『 iv. challengers & champions 』

Challengers
Juno - Emerald
SorveteQuente - Platinum
Blanche - White 2

Champions
Disturb not the Harmony - Leaf Green
Ultra Decidueye - Platinum
Janp - Fire Red

Champions

『 v. credits & my sign-up 』

• Lethe, for the original idea
  • Etherion, for reviving this challenge once and the neat CSS

Username: Janp
Game: Fire Red

RIS+decorative+divider+1.png

『 the house cup 』

latest
25 POINTS

latest

50 POINTS

latest

55 POINTS

latest

20 POINTS

RIS+decorative+divider+1.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
hello did someone say Harry Potter
Giving this a shot :)

Username: Juno
Game: Emerald

Don't use any Special moves
oh the first gym is going to be fun

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Current status: Just began Half-Blood Prince, am verging on Charizard solo due to tragedy against Giovanni at the end of Prisoner of Azkaban. Will obviously be correcting during OOTP.
CURRENT House Rankings: Ravenclaw far and away the best, Hufflepuff second, Slytherin and Gryffindor tied for third. Unless I really have an amazing Slytherin or Gryffindor, that's unlikely to change.
Thoughts:
Spoiler:

I had to redo my first attempt, since I got stuck with a Hufflepuff
Bulbasaur and a team otherwise weak to Rock, and wiped to Brock
due to running out of PP for Tackle. This second attempt started
with Charmander because I KNOW Charmeleon can sweep Brock with
Metal Claw (which any House can use).

Detailed rambling recap below:
Spoiler:

Team Summary:
Spoiler:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I tried this once. It failed. Miserably.

So let's try again. But which game? Pulls random game out of cabinet. Dragon Quest VIII. That's a good Pokémon game.

Username: Ultra Decidueye
Game: Platinum
LETS GO

Gonna go ahead and point out some updates that may need to be made to the old gen 6 thread:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Gonna go ahead and point out some updates that may need to be made to the old gen 6 thread:

Spoiler:

To be honest I totally forget about 7th gen, so thanks for pointing that out. I'll take a look in the old thread to see if Etherion said anything about Exp Share/Z-Crystals and will update the first post.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Hi i did a lot

DeciduPotterLocke Platinum
Gym Badges: 3
Current Era: Prisoner of that island stuff from FRLG
Deaths: 2+2+2+2= 8 Deaths

So for ranking the houses, I used a very objective system of points described in the spoiler below along with all the stuff that happened. This is so when ranking at the end of the run I don't forget which house carried the beginning. Here is where it stands so far:

House Cup
Hufflepuff - 85
Ravenclaw - 72
Slytherin - 21
Gryffindor - 17

The short explanation is, HPuff carried early, then Cordelia the Staravia died. Now HPuff and Ravenclaw are the only houses on my team.

And some fun facts if you don't want to read the whole log:
RClaw is in 2nd overall despite getting 0 points in the Dursley era. This is because I did not have a single Ravenclaw before the first gym. Now it's tied with Hufflepuff for the most Pokemon total and had 4 members on the team until one died in the last fight before this update.

Jupiter's Skuntank was responsible for nearly half my deaths so far with three. Roark, Fantina, and Mars killed one each. The other two deaths were randoms - Kjelle the Onix crit Henry the Gastly when I attempted to capture the former, and Gaius the Zubat died using his free Chivalry switch-in to save both present Ravenclaws.

And now for the log. It's a good four pages though. Happy reading, I guess!
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Challenge complete.
Rankings;
1. Hufflepuff
2. Ravenclaw
3. Gryffindor
4. Slytherin

My reasoning: Hufflepuff was rough early-game due to a lack of Pokemon, but came up in importance later on and eventually essentially soloed the Elite Four. Ravenclaw soloed two entire "books" and carried until it was time for late-game Water abuse. Gryffindor would have been lowest, but Bellatrix the Gyarados saved me from a death in the Champion battle and forced me to rank up the House appropriately. If I ranked based on overall performance, Slytherin would have scored third due to some utility for most of the game.

Spoiler:

That was one of the most terrifying Rival fights I've ever had. :D o_O Nonetheless, no deaths to Elite Four, so I close it out there.

Final roster:
Spoiler:

Attachments

• Pokemon LeafGreen - PotterLocke Charmander_10.png
    Pokemon LeafGreen - PotterLocke Charmander_10.png
    13 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Well, that happened.

DeciduPotterLocke Platinum
Gym Badges: 8
Current Era: Run Complete
Deaths: 3+2+2+2= 9 Deaths

So for ranking the houses, I used a very objective system of points described in the spoiler below along with all the stuff that happened. This is so when ranking at the end of the run I don't forget which house carried the beginning. Here are the final standings:

Final House Cup Scores:
  • Ravenclaw - 359
  • Hufflepuff - 260
  • Gryffindor - 65
  • Slytherin - 61

Really between the 2nd and 5th gym Ravenclaw took off. Once Robin (Gardevoir) was captured and subsequently declared the Triwizard Champion, the stage was set. Real talk though, Lucina (Quagsire) and Sumia (Probopass) were huge the entire back half of the run. Shoutouts to Virion (Kricketune) for getting the Ravenclaw hype train running.

Robin was the overall run MVP, but Chrom (Torterra) was only two arbitrary points behind overall. The issue is after Cordelia (Staravia) died to Jupiter, there were really no other really good Puffs except like Maribelle (Rapidash), and Cerche (Altaria). The other obligatory shoutout is Gangrel (Golduck), who was an awesome HM slave and left Chrom's movepool far more open than it would have been otherwise.

The battle for 3rd and 4th came down to the Pokemon used for DH2 for each house - Morgan (Uxie) for Slytherin, Inigo (Garchomp) for Gryffindor. By virtue of evolving once and getting the final KO on one E4 member, Inigo earned 5 more points than Morgan, which gave Gryffindor it's 4-point lead.

Some musings on the top team members

Spoiler:

And now for the log. I left the last update because the thing was being stubborn, so this is a full log of the entire run.
Spoiler:

Super fun overall!

Years

Potterlocke in Pokémon Fire Red

charmeleon.png
butterfree.png
gloom.png
gyarados.png

CHAPTER 1 - The boy who lived everyone who died

I love reviving older challenges that I forget to complete...
Dursley Era
IWXfJNJ.png

So last digit is 0, so I can choose my starter... And 2nd digit is 6, so I'll go with Charmander!
Starter - Charmander, nicknamed Harry, Sassy - Ravenclaw
Beat Rival without much problems!
Route 1 - Pidgey, nicknamed Larry, Timid - Ravenclaw
Route 22 - Rattata, nicknamed Tera, Mild - Ravenclaw
Beat Rival once again!
Route 2 - Caterpie, nicknamed Tania, Calm - Ravenclaw
And 1st death of the run goes to Tera. I wanted to train her, but it was too much for her. Died to a crit from another Rattata. I didn't want to use her anyway.
Tania evolved during the same training.
Viridian Forest - Weedle, nicknamed Ting, Bold - Gryffindor
Tania evolved again! And Harry almost died because of poison. But I was able to save him with combination of Potions and the shortest route to Pokémon Centrum.
Philosopher's Stone
Harry evolved after solo'ing Brock. I'm not sure how would I beat him if Harry died to that poison from earlier.
Route 3 - Spearow, nicknamed Kalla, Gentle - Hufflepuff
Mt. Moon - Zubat, I ran out of Pokéballs on him
Route 4 - Mankey, nicknamed Rash, Naughty - Slytherin
Route 24 - Oddish, nicknamed Snoop, Calm - Ravenclaw
Larry evolved!
Route 5 - Meowth, nicknamed Jess, Jolly - Hufflepuff
With the combination of Snoop and Tania, I was able to take down Misty!
Chamber of Secrets
Returned to Route 25 - Abra, teleported away
And I can't get anything on Route 6, because I already caught everything.
Rash and Larry died in the battle with Raticate. Both from full health after one Hyper Fang.
It's time to train! And Snoop evolved! And Kalla fainted. I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have Flying-Type.
Route 11 - Ekans, nicknamed Bell, Jolly - Hufflepuff
Also got Old Rod, so I can catch Magikarp.
Vermilion City - Magikarp, nicknamed Rai, Lonely - Slytherin
Diglett's Cave - Diglett, nicknamed Zatty, Mild - Ravenclaw
Also this happened:
YXqYxMt.png

And then Zatty did her part in beating Lt. Surge, but died in battle with Raichu.
And finally, Rai evolved and I can save.

Team

charmeleon.png

Harry, Male Sassy Charmeleon
lvl 25, Blaze
- Ember
- Smoke Screen
- Scratch
- Metal Claw

butterfree.png

Tania, Female Calm Butterfree
lvl 23, Compound Eyes
- Confusion
- Poison Powder
- Supersonic
- Sleep Powder

gloom.png

Snoop, Male Calm Gloom
lvl 24, Chlorophyll
- Absorb
- Acid
- Poison Powder
- Sleep Powder

gyarados.png

Rai, Female Lonely Gyarados
lvl 20, Intimidate
- Splash
- Tackle
- Bite
- Water Pulse​

Years

Potterlocke in Pok?mon Fire Red

onix.png
electrode.png
arbok.png
growlithe.png
persian.png
haunter.png

CHAPTER 2 - Filler episode

Okay, here's small update about my magical adventure in the Kanto. I have a feeling that rest of the run will be interesting, funny and challenging...

Goblet of Fire
And Harry evolved right at the start of Team Rocket Hideout.
Pok?mon Tower - Ghastly, nicknamed Fill, Modest - Hufflepuff
Snoop evolved!
Tania died to some Grunt's Golbat at Silph Co.
I put Bell on team and trained her until she evolves.
And during Rival battle, Brom evolved!
Beat Giovanni again pretty much only with Harry.
And solo'd Sabrina with Harry too. He's getting really strong.

Order of the Pheonix
And with that, Kanto enters next year - Harry, Snoop and Rai are benched for this segment, while Fill, Gambit and Jess are in!
And the grind begins! Jess and Fill evolved, while Gambit will have to stay as Growlithe for now.
I plan on swapping my team more, when I catch new Pok?mon.

Team

onix.png

La, Female Timid Onix
lvl 43, Rock Head
- Slam
- Sandstorm
- Dragonbreath
- Rock Throw

electrode.png

Brom, Lonely Electrode
lvl 43, Static
- Spark
- Charge
- Screech
- Rollout

arbok.png

Bell, Female Jolly Arbok
lvl 42, Shed Skin
- Wrap
- Acid
- Glare
- Bite

persian.png

Jess, Female Jolly Persian
lvl 37, Limber
- Pay Day
- Flash
- Bite
- Cut

growlithe.png

Gambit, Male Jolly Growlithe
lvl 39, Intimidate
- Bite
- Roar
- Flame Wheel
- Take Down

haunter.png

Fill, Male Modest Haunter
lvl 37, Levitate
- Shadow Punch
- Confuse Ray
- Dream Eater
- Night Shade​

Last edited:
Years

Potterlocke in Pokémon Fire Red

charizard.png
electrode.png
snorlax.png
vileplume.png
seadra.png
ditto.png

CHAPTER 3 - Back to the Dursleys

Route 16 - Snorlax, nicknamed Mona, Timid - Ravenclaw
Route 17 - Doduo, nicknamed Tria, Docile - Hufflepuff
I finally got Good Rod and can fish up some Water-Type.
Fuchsia City - Goldeen, nicknamed Aquaman, Naughty - Slytherin
Safari Zone - Nidorina, nicknamed Ivy, Gentle - Hufflepuff
And with that, it's time for the Gym!
And Fill dies to 1st Hypno in the Gym...
Jess dies to Sandslash. That's Dumbledore's Army for you...
Let's train Tria before 2nd attempt.
And... Gambit dies to Selfdestruct from Koga's Koffing.
But another era completed!

Half-Blood Prince
Route 15 - Venonat, nicknamed Jamey, Relaxed - Gryffindor
Route 14 - Ditto, nicknamed Bik, Bold - Gryffindor
Route 12 - Horsea, nicknamed Dracar, Jolly - Hufflepuff
Route 13 - Krabby, nicknamed Clem, Sassy - Ravenclaw
I put Dracar on the team for the Surf and to train a little
Route 20 - Tentacool - crit killed it
Seafom Island - Seel, nicknamed Misty, Timid - Ravenclaw
Cinnabar Island - Shellder, nicknamed Sheldon, Bashful - Hufflepuff
Pokemon Mansion - Koffing - beat it
Dracar was able to solo Blaine and with that, ended this segment

Deathly Hallows Part 1
It's finally here. The final part of the challenge.
Route 21 - Tangela, nicknamed Dyll, Sassy - Ravenclaw
Also I just now figured out I could use marks to see what house do my Pokémon belong to... Well, it's something for next run.
Anyway, my team for this segment and probably for the rest of the game - Harry, Snoop, Dracar, Bik, Tria, Brom
And this was fast segment... I literally just flew to the Viridian City, swapped my team and solo'd Giovanni with Dracar

Deathly Hallows Part 2
Final battle's here!
And first victim... Tria died to Rival's Alakazam on Route 22.
Route 23 - Psyduck, nicknamed May, Naive - Hufflepuff
Victory Road - Marowak - crit killed it
Right before E4, I bought Full Restores and Revives.
Then sold all the Revives back and bought another Full Restores.
With the combination of all houses, I was able to beat Lorelei without loosing anyone.
Bruno's down too. Agatha too. Still alive.
After all, Brom died to one of the Lance's Dragonites.
Rival battle was easy and with that, I completed the challenge.

House Cup
It's oblivious that Ravenclaw was on top since the 1st encounters. Harry carried me through most of the game while Snoop provided good coverage for him - and pretty much was only Pokémon that beat Rival's Blastoise. Hufflepuff's on the 2nd place, mostly because Dracar and Jess. I used latter for Pickup until she died. And Dumbledore's Army was amde out of Hufflepuff students - before they all died.
Slytherin had good run with Rai and Brom... Well, mostly Brom. His death was probably the saddest death in the run. And finally, Gryffindor. I literally used only Bik, the Ditto and only used him against Rival's Alakazam ou Route 22 and in the Champion battle AND against Lance, where it almost died.

Hall of Fame
HdbITal.png

And finally... Pokémon Tower
rattata.png
mankey.png
pidgeotto.png
spearow.png
diglett.png
butterfree.png
haunter.png
persian.png
growlithe.png
dodrio.png
electrode.png

Team

charizard.png

Harry, Male Sassy Charizard
lvl 64, Blaze
- Flamethrower
- Smokescreen
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake

vileplume.png

Snoop, Male Calm Vileplume
lvl 63, Chlorophyll
- Petal Dance
- Acid
- Poison Powder
- Sleep Powder

seadra.png

Dracar, Male Jolly Seadra
lvl 63, Poison Point
- Surf
- Dragon Dance
- Twister
- Water Gun

snorlax.png

Mona, Female Timid Snorlax
lvl 62, Immunity
- Body Slam
- Yawn
- Rest
- Hyper Beam

ditto.png

Bik, Bold Ditto
lvl 57, Limber
- Transform​

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
They are chivalrous, they may switch in to help other houses once per gym badge.

I have a question on this rule. Is this like a power-up which can be activated once during an episode (for example, while on the philosopher's stone episode, during a battle against a youngster, a Slytherin member needs help and a Gryffindor member rescues it by switching in. Then, until the next badge, I cannot switch with that same Gryffindor) or is it only during the gym battle?

Thanks for the quick answer!

Years
I have a question on this rule. Is this like a power-up which can be activated once during an episode (for example, while on the philosopher's stone episode, during a battle against a youngster, a Slytherin member needs help and a Gryffindor member rescues it by switching in. Then, until the next badge, I cannot switch with that same Gryffindor) or is it only during the gym battle?

Thanks for the quick answer!

It can be interpreted both ways. I interpreted it as "once per segment" thing, but actually never used it in my run.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
How do you guys interprete the Hufflepuff's malus? Is it all status moves or only those who cause status effect?

Back