The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Help
Other [RSE/FRLG] Converting the 25 "??" slots into new Pokémon.

ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old June 13th, 2018 (3:28 AM).
Topaz Light's Avatar
Topaz Light Topaz Light is offline
     
    Join Date: Mar 2016
    Location: SPECIAL AREA
    Gender: Other
    Nature: Gentle
    Posts: 101
    Is it possible to use the 25 "dummy" Pokémon slots in between Celebi and Treecko for new Pokémon? I ask because I've heard that those slots were at least inferred to have been allocated for use by the assorted Unown variants before GameFreak decided to handle those differently, and I've also heard reports of some minor odd behavior associated with those slots, particularly in regards to the game crashing when moves other than Tackle are forcibly taught to one of the dummy Pokémon. This makes me concerned that perhaps they're still tied to Unown in some way, and/or have troublesome properties affixed to them, such that it would be difficult to untangle them for repurposing,

    Does anybody know, like… what The Deal™ is with those "??" Pokémon? Is there anything I should look out for in modifying them, or is there some reason why doing so is so bad an idea that it shouldn't even be attempted?
    __________________
    Who has lost his tail?
    The forgotten one of the ship that sails the cosmos.
    Reply With Quote
      #2    
    Old June 13th, 2018 (8:04 AM).
    Petuuuhhh's Avatar
    Petuuuhhh Petuuuhhh is online now
     
    Join Date: Apr 2017
    Location: Georgia
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 548
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Topaz Light View Post
    Is it possible to use the 25 "dummy" Pokémon slots in between Celebi and Treecko for new Pokémon? I ask because I've heard that those slots were at least inferred to have been allocated for use by the assorted Unown variants before GameFreak decided to handle those differently, and I've also heard reports of some minor odd behavior associated with those slots, particularly in regards to the game crashing when moves other than Tackle are forcibly taught to one of the dummy Pokémon. This makes me concerned that perhaps they're still tied to Unown in some way, and/or have troublesome properties affixed to them, such that it would be difficult to untangle them for repurposing,

    Does anybody know, like… what The Deal™ is with those "??" Pokémon? Is there anything I should look out for in modifying them, or is there some reason why doing so is so bad an idea that it shouldn't even be attempted?
    I don't know the answer to your question. I do know that PGE gives you the ability to expand the number of Pokemon you can use. If you want, to be safe you can just expand the number of Pokemon and use those slots instead.
    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old June 13th, 2018 (6:20 PM).
    BirdstarCat13's Avatar
    BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
    Furret-loving Iskallian
       
      Join Date: Nov 2017
      Location: RenSkall island
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Timid
      Posts: 426
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Topaz Light View Post
      Is it possible to use the 25 "dummy" Pokémon slots in between Celebi and Treecko for new Pokémon? I ask because I've heard that those slots were at least inferred to have been allocated for use by the assorted Unown variants before GameFreak decided to handle those differently, and I've also heard reports of some minor odd behavior associated with those slots, particularly in regards to the game crashing when moves other than Tackle are forcibly taught to one of the dummy Pokémon. This makes me concerned that perhaps they're still tied to Unown in some way, and/or have troublesome properties affixed to them, such that it would be difficult to untangle them for repurposing,

      Does anybody know, like… what The Deal™ is with those "??" Pokémon? Is there anything I should look out for in modifying them, or is there some reason why doing so is so bad an idea that it shouldn't even be attempted?
      PGE runs into errors with them but G3T can edit them perfectly fine. Editing cries will require a little hex and/or ASM as PGE can't edit the cries of those slots. Personally, it's the only thing I use atm since I won't need more than 25 custom mons anytime soon (unless I make a species with a ton of forms or smth)
      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old June 14th, 2018 (2:43 AM).
      Sakakii's Avatar
      Sakakii Sakakii is offline
         
        Join Date: Nov 2017
        Posts: 110
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
        PGE runs into errors with them but G3T can edit them perfectly fine. Editing cries will require a little hex and/or ASM as PGE can't edit the cries of those slots. Personally, it's the only thing I use atm since I won't need more than 25 custom mons anytime soon (unless I make a species with a ton of forms or smth)
        Do you know specificially what errors PGE runs into with them?
        Reply With Quote
          #5    
        Old June 14th, 2018 (3:16 PM). Edited June 14th, 2018 by Topaz Light.
        Topaz Light's Avatar
        Topaz Light Topaz Light is offline
           
          Join Date: Mar 2016
          Location: SPECIAL AREA
          Gender: Other
          Nature: Gentle
          Posts: 101
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
          PGE runs into errors with them but G3T can edit them perfectly fine. Editing cries will require a little hex and/or ASM as PGE can't edit the cries of those slots. Personally, it's the only thing I use atm since I won't need more than 25 custom mons anytime soon (unless I make a species with a ton of forms or smth)
          Ahhh, good to know! I'll definitely use that, then!

          Is it possible to use multiple editors for editing the slots, incidentally? Not simultaneously, but, like, alternating between them? I ask because G3T doesn't support editing any parts of a Pokémon's learnset besides level-up moves, which obviously won't do if I'm going to make the additional Pokémon fully-realized ones that the player can get and use.
          __________________
          Who has lost his tail?
          The forgotten one of the ship that sails the cosmos.
          Reply With Quote
            #6    
          Old June 14th, 2018 (3:54 PM).
          BirdstarCat13's Avatar
          BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
          Furret-loving Iskallian
             
            Join Date: Nov 2017
            Location: RenSkall island
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Timid
            Posts: 426
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Sakakii View Post
            Do you know specificially what errors PGE runs into with them?
            Well I had it simply crash on one of them but the others seemed to be alright. PGE can't edit their cries but can edit all of the regular ones.
            Reply With Quote
              #7    
            Old June 14th, 2018 (6:02 PM).
            BirdstarCat13's Avatar
            BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
            Furret-loving Iskallian
               
              Join Date: Nov 2017
              Location: RenSkall island
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Timid
              Posts: 426
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Topaz Light View Post
              Ahhh, good to know! I'll definitely use that, then!

              Is it possible to use multiple editors for editing the slots, incidentally? Not simultaneously, but, like, alternating between them? I ask because G3T doesn't support editing any parts of a Pokémon's learnset besides level-up moves, which obviously won't do if I'm going to make the additional Pokémon fully-realized ones that the player can get and use.
              Of course you can, as long as you don't use G3HS with PGE, since G3HS breaks compatibility with PGE (because the developer of PGE won't update PGE to be able to undo the changes that G3HS does that break the compatibility, I don't think it'd be hard to just check for some table breaks lol)
              Reply With Quote
                #8    
              Old June 15th, 2018 (1:49 AM). Edited June 15th, 2018 by Sakakii.
              Sakakii's Avatar
              Sakakii Sakakii is offline
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2017
                Posts: 110
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
                Well I had it simply crash on one of them but the others seemed to be alright. PGE can't edit their cries but can edit all of the regular ones.
                Ok nice, but in terms of catching and using those Pokemon in-game, is there any trouble?

                Edit: So I'm testing putting in Pokemon in those slots and it seems like they all share the same icon sprite :/
                Reply With Quote
                  #9    
                Old June 15th, 2018 (10:47 AM).
                BirdstarCat13's Avatar
                BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
                Furret-loving Iskallian
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2017
                  Location: RenSkall island
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Timid
                  Posts: 426
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Sakakii View Post
                  Ok nice, but in terms of catching and using those Pokemon in-game, is there any trouble?

                  Edit: So I'm testing putting in Pokemon in those slots and it seems like they all share the same icon sprite :/
                  They are fully functional species and their icons can be changed.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #10    
                  Old June 15th, 2018 (11:02 AM).
                  Sakakii's Avatar
                  Sakakii Sakakii is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2017
                    Posts: 110
                    Well that's what I'm seeing in PGE, when I change icon for one of them the others get the same icon.
                    __________________
                    I made Kanlara Adventures: Remastered https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=409964
                    Reply With Quote
                      #11    
                    Old June 15th, 2018 (1:05 PM).
                    BirdstarCat13's Avatar
                    BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is offline
                    Furret-loving Iskallian
                       
                      Join Date: Nov 2017
                      Location: RenSkall island
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Timid
                      Posts: 426
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Sakakii View Post
                      Well that's what I'm seeing in PGE, when I change icon for one of them the others get the same icon.
                      You'd have to edit them seperately, or expand the number of Pokémon. I have no idea otherwise how to fix the issues with the icons, since I don't even bother with it anyway.
                      Reply With Quote
                      Reply

                      Quick Reply

                      Join the conversation!

                      Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                      Create a PokéCommunity Account
                      Thread Tools

                      Posting Rules
                      You may not post new threads
                      You may not post replies
                      You may not post attachments
                      You may not edit your posts

                      BB code is On
                      Smilies are On
                      [IMG] code is On
                      HTML code is Off

                      Forum Jump


                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:03 AM.