The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Help
Other [RSE/FRLG] Converting the 25 "??" slots into new Pokémon.

ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Old June 13th, 2018 (3:28 AM).

Nature: Gentle
    Is it possible to use the 25 "dummy" Pokémon slots in between Celebi and Treecko for new Pokémon? I ask because I've heard that those slots were at least inferred to have been allocated for use by the assorted Unown variants before GameFreak decided to handle those differently, and I've also heard reports of some minor odd behavior associated with those slots, particularly in regards to the game crashing when moves other than Tackle are forcibly taught to one of the dummy Pokémon. This makes me concerned that perhaps they're still tied to Unown in some way, and/or have troublesome properties affixed to them, such that it would be difficult to untangle them for repurposing,

Does anybody know, like… what The Deal™ is with those "??" Pokémon? Is there anything I should look out for in modifying them, or is there some reason why doing so is so bad an idea that it shouldn't even be attempted?
    Old June 13th, 2018 (8:04 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Topaz Light View Post
    Is it possible to use the 25 "dummy" Pokémon slots in between Celebi and Treecko for new Pokémon? I ask because I've heard that those slots were at least inferred to have been allocated for use by the assorted Unown variants before GameFreak decided to handle those differently, and I've also heard reports of some minor odd behavior associated with those slots, particularly in regards to the game crashing when moves other than Tackle are forcibly taught to one of the dummy Pokémon. This makes me concerned that perhaps they're still tied to Unown in some way, and/or have troublesome properties affixed to them, such that it would be difficult to untangle them for repurposing,

Does anybody know, like… what The Deal™ is with those "??" Pokémon? Is there anything I should look out for in modifying them, or is there some reason why doing so is so bad an idea that it shouldn't even be attempted?
    I don't know the answer to your question. I do know that PGE gives you the ability to expand the number of Pokemon you can use. If you want, to be safe you can just expand the number of Pokemon and use those slots instead.
    Old June 13th, 2018 (6:20 PM).
    Furret-loving Iskallian

Nature: Timid
      Quote:

PGE runs into errors with them but G3T can edit them perfectly fine. Editing cries will require a little hex and/or ASM as PGE can't edit the cries of those slots. Personally, it's the only thing I use atm since I won't need more than 25 custom mons anytime soon (unless I make a species with a ton of forms or smth)
      Old June 14th, 2018 (2:43 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
        PGE runs into errors with them but G3T can edit them perfectly fine. Editing cries will require a little hex and/or ASM as PGE can't edit the cries of those slots. Personally, it's the only thing I use atm since I won't need more than 25 custom mons anytime soon (unless I make a species with a ton of forms or smth)
        Do you know specificially what errors PGE runs into with them?
        Old June 14th, 2018 (3:16 PM). Edited June 14th, 2018 by Topaz Light.

Nature: Gentle
          Quote:
          Ahhh, good to know! I'll definitely use that, then!

Is it possible to use multiple editors for editing the slots, incidentally? Not simultaneously, but, like, alternating between them? I ask because G3T doesn't support editing any parts of a Pokémon's learnset besides level-up moves, which obviously won't do if I'm going to make the additional Pokémon fully-realized ones that the player can get and use.
          Old June 14th, 2018 (3:54 PM).
          Furret-loving Iskallian

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Sakakii View Post
            Do you know specificially what errors PGE runs into with them?
            Well I had it simply crash on one of them but the others seemed to be alright. PGE can't edit their cries but can edit all of the regular ones.
            Old June 14th, 2018 (6:02 PM).
            Furret-loving Iskallian

Quote:
              Ahhh, good to know! I'll definitely use that, then!

Is it possible to use multiple editors for editing the slots, incidentally? Not simultaneously, but, like, alternating between them? I ask because G3T doesn't support editing any parts of a Pokémon's learnset besides level-up moves, which obviously won't do if I'm going to make the additional Pokémon fully-realized ones that the player can get and use.
              Of course you can, as long as you don't use G3HS with PGE, since G3HS breaks compatibility with PGE (because the developer of PGE won't update PGE to be able to undo the changes that G3HS does that break the compatibility, I don't think it'd be hard to just check for some table breaks lol)
              Old June 15th, 2018 (1:49 AM). Edited June 15th, 2018 by Sakakii.

Quote:
                Well I had it simply crash on one of them but the others seemed to be alright. PGE can't edit their cries but can edit all of the regular ones.
                Ok nice, but in terms of catching and using those Pokemon in-game, is there any trouble?

Edit: So I'm testing putting in Pokemon in those slots and it seems like they all share the same icon sprite :/
                Old June 15th, 2018 (10:47 AM).
                Furret-loving Iskallian

Quote:
                  Ok nice, but in terms of catching and using those Pokemon in-game, is there any trouble?

Edit: So I'm testing putting in Pokemon in those slots and it seems like they all share the same icon sprite :/
                  They are fully functional species and their icons can be changed.
                  Old June 15th, 2018 (11:02 AM).

Well that's what I'm seeing in PGE, when I change icon for one of them the others get the same icon.
                    Old June 15th, 2018 (1:05 PM).
                    Furret-loving Iskallian

Quote:
                      Well that's what I'm seeing in PGE, when I change icon for one of them the others get the same icon.
                      You'd have to edit them seperately, or expand the number of Pokémon. I have no idea otherwise how to fix the issues with the icons, since I don't even bother with it anyway.

Quick Reply