• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How long did it take for a full team?

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
For my 100th post, I thought I go back to where I began, a book end if you will and go back to FireRed and LeafGreen. When I was kid, I only used my Bulbasaur and somehow managed to beat the eight gym leaders before losing to my rival. So I wanted to ask, how long in the game did it take for you to assemble a full team? Also, did you get a full team and swap out members after doing so?

Years
Usually after 4th-5th gym I managed to have a stable, full team. I rarely swapped one or two Pokemon afterwards.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I've played through each game once, LeafGreen being the first game I ever finished. In that one, I had a team right away but I didn't understand typing so my team was really awful and I mostly relied on my Blastoise and the legendaries I had caught to beat the Elite Four. To this day I don't have a legit team in that game. But in FireRed I had a very controlled team that I had planned from the beginning and traded all my pokemon from LeafGreen to start off with as babies. I had five Pokemon on my team through all the gyms, but then I caught a Scyther in the Safari Zone to add to my team and beat the E4 with it. Usually though, I try to add a pokemon to my team at every gym or every two gyms until I get to the last one and have a full team of six. FRLG were special cases for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I never have a set place that I have a full team, but I don't like to have them all too quickly. I prefer having them all after maybe...the 6th or 7th badge. But it can happen sooner, and indeed it has happened sooner.

Emfg

Ohlong
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 8, 2023
I always had battles with my friend in Leaf Green so I usually took the strongest pokemon I could get (generally legendaries). I can't remember much of Leaf Green though.

I believe I had a team of Blastoise, being my main pokemon because my friend had a charizard but also a venusaur which I gave him, with a Groudon to counter his venusaur. Also had a Raikou which I managed to catch after like a month.

If I remember correctly this was my exact team:
-Blastoise
-Kyogre
-Rayquaza
-Groudon
-Raikou
-Tyrannitar

Yeah...

Years
I rarely plan my team out in advance, so it usually takes me until between the fifth and sixth Gyms to get a full party of Pokemon. At that point, I'll usually rotate 8 or so Pokemon through my six slots right until I've beaten the Elite Four, since I can rarely pick favorites on my team.

I know that once I did manage to have my team full by the time I got to Erika (the fourth Gym), but most of them didn't last on my team for the entirety of the game.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
In FRLG I rarely had or do have a team planned out so it was whatever I liked alot. In my last playthrough, I didn't have my final team around getting the 7th or 8th badge so clearly I don't really get full team for a while.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I usually try to plan ahead and have a general idea of what pokemons I'd like to use. In the end i have a list of about 8-10 pokemon that i'd like to have in my team, and i normally have a full/stable team around the 6th badge, unless i really want to have a pokemon that can only be caught later on in the game

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I used to plan out teams before I started playing. I used to stick to my comfort zone mixed teams that would counter the Rival's team. But since I started doing challenges, I tend to simply build up teams as I go.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
I have a team of 6 by the 6th caught pokemon. I keep switching them out as I catch better pokemon and i don't really plan out my team unless i'm doing a challenge. Generally my pokemon are stable by the 3rd gym. Except I have a hard time in gen 5 with doing it this way... I tend to have to plan somewhat in gen 5.

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2016
Depends on what I want.
Usually what I want is different each time.
Training for EVs you want and EXP is super easy with the Versus Seeker, so I don't mind waiting until I get to the Safari Zone or late Routes for my full team.

Once I fished for the rare Grimer in Celadon's pond instead of waiting until reaching Cinnabar to finish a team, which takes a lot of patience.

Between Leaf Green and Fire Red, there are still some Pokémon I haven't used - Golduck, Vileplume, Chansey, Pinsir, Scyther, Dugtrio - to name a few, but as a rule, I avoid Pokémon that gained evolutions in Gen IV or trade evolutions.

Sometimes I don't even go for the full team if I want a quick playthrough to see what Pokémon I like.
Makes distributing Rare Candies for the end much more of a boon.

Years
I usually have a stable team assembled by the 4th or 5th gym, but I never plan teams out, so it varies.
I find the games are a lot more fun when you just make a team on a whim because you found the next best member while you were training. It's fun seeing your team come together from scratch.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
First I get Squirtle, then I catch a Pidgey at Route 1. Catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest, Catch a Geodude at Mt. Moon, Catch a Abra and Bellsprout/Oddish north of Cerulean City.

I have my entire team before my second badge.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
First time through was pretty typical...started with Bulbasaur, finished evolving Dragonite. So the longest it's ever taken me is to get all 6 members capturing Dratini in Fuchsia City.

I never swap in/out team members in LeafGreen, at least until after becoming Champion as the level curves too steep to avoid tedious amounts of grinding (that's not counting making sure Dratini is a Dragonair before heading out for Seafoam Islands, otherwise it just gets killed). Well, actually its not entirely true. When I did a run using the team of Red out of PokéSpe I swapped Eevee out later on as it was too weak and I had 7 members. Also because he didn't use it in the Pokémon League :)

Back