• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

She sparkles in the sunlight.

We went climbing through the trees this one time, and I clung to her back while she flew from tree to tree, and the camera started spinning around nonsensically until we both wanted to throw up, and...

Okay, yeah, I'm done now.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
At least you hung on tight, Spider Monkey.

Then I brought her back to my family's uber-modern house (*_*) and I played the jaw harp piano for her. Then it was time for baseball!

It's sad that I remember all this.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
And then I turned up with my other vampire buddies and wanted to eat the mortal. Yes, I read it too, although I stopped shortly after baseball for fear of hurling.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
She sparkles in the sunlight.

Now don't even get me started on Twilight :P God knows I should not have known that shred to begin with... Though I do work in a movie/music store, and they have played the movie...

txteclipse

The Last
Years
This place is so dead that I feel like shooting myself just to fit in.

Seriously guys, it's my birthday. Entertain me. Or if you're the "entertain yourself, you entitled b******" type, then hold still so I can do so. *pulls out matchbook*

txteclipse

The Last
Years
There may or may not be someone in a bikini inside this.
And if they don't pop out after about an hour, then I had nothing to do with it.
Dually duly noted. And am I reading into this too much, or were you particularly cautious to not mention the gender of the "someone wearing a bikini?"

...What's Astinus doing with that video recorder?

(Thanks for humoring me. I'm so dang bored. XD)

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Happy birthday then, txt.

Seriously, people and things, I can't believe this place was gonna dead by, how long, three days? And these lapses of muteness are becoming more common, or is it just myself spending too much time in the Lounge?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Happy birthday then, txt.

Seriously, people and things, I can't believe this place was gonna dead by, how long, three days? And these lapses of muteness are becoming more common, or is it just myself spending too much time in the Lounge?
Thanks. And it's probably not a decrease in activity, but rather that I'm pointing it out more these days due to not having better things to do. It's kind of depressing either way.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Happy birthday, txt-o. =D
Thanks bro. Let's see how many nicknames I can pick up by the end of the day! XD
Anyway, I think I'll inject some action into this thread.

What's your least-favorite genre, and why?

For me, it's realistic fiction. The kind that attempts to accurately emulate real life with fake characters. The genre feels so pointless. If I want realism to that degree, I'll read non-fiction, you know? I mean, I've seriously read stuff that was like "boring female character had this for breakfast, and her grandmother said such-and-such, and then she went to the grocery store." Well thank you, Captain Yawn, for reiterating how boring everyday life is.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TXTECLIPSE!

*wheels in a cake of his own, and leaves. Shortly afterwards, Sentret with flamethrowers pop out and grin*

What's your least-favorite genre, and why?
Hmm...maybe realistic fiction as well, although I have read some good books on that, admittedly. But the bad ones tend to be boring, and the worst book I've ever read fell into that genre. >_<

Not a biggie with Romance either, or dark Horror... that's just me though.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TXTECLIPSE!

*wheels in a cake of his own, and leaves. Shortly afterwards, Sentret with flamethrowers pop out and grin*
Sentrets with flamethrowers and bikini clad someones. This is getting outrageous. I like it!

...Whoa. Total Sheogorath moment there. Cookies to whoever knows what I'm talking about.

And speaking of genres, is it possible to have too many in one fic? I know it's kind of a bizarre question, but the Eon Chronicles is seriously turning out to be a fantasy/adventure/horror/drama/slice of life/comedy/lots of other things fic. Might that turn people off that don't like one of said genres?

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
Years
*pops in, eats cookies, pops out* <-<
Best video games evar |0

And, uh, to actually contribute to the thread...

I don't really like autobiographies. I don't know exactly why, I guess it just bugs me when people with boring lives publish books about them. xD

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
*releases the Pimpy Lugia and commands it to hunt Deoxys55*

txteclipse said:
And speaking of genres, is it possible to have too many in one fic? I know it's kind of a bizarre question, but the Eon Chronicles is seriously turning out to be a fantasy/adventure/horror/drama/slice of life/comedy/lots of other things fic. Might that turn people off that don't like one of said genres?

I was watching the same problem unfold at the PC FF Catalog thread, you know, the instructions say choose two genres and people pile up to eleven. Essentially, I don't think it is possible to have too may different genres in a story. If it seems to happen, it's either people are giving their works genres their works don't have the attributes for, or the concepts of the genres theirselves has been fuzzily taught.

Eon Chronicles being fantasy/adventure/horror/drama/slice of life/comedy/lots of other things fic thing of sorts? My advice would be to categorize it using the literary technique and the tone only, rather than content, because plot, or the story itself, is the emelent that expands and allows inclusion (and henceforth confusion). I read some of it too long ago to reember correctly, but I'd use Mystery/Adventure.

As a rule of thumb, I don't catalogue anything as Fantasy or Sci-fi unless I can clearly exclude the other genre's component as accidental, or intended for parody. Otherwise it is SciFantasy (a completely different, more encompassing thing). Same with Tragedy/Suspense (I umbrella them under Drama). I don't consider things like "Supernatural" or "Hurt/Comfort" as genres, either. Horror and Action are for me a special case (they completely stand on their own, no questions asked).

Oh, whatever... If to contribute anythhing to this thread, I'll say I don't like horror. More properly, I don't enjoy it. Don't know why. And I'm quite selective with parodies. If it isn't done in the style and pace of movies like "Airplane!", I can't enjoy it.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
*pops in, eats cookies, pops out* <-<
Best video games evar |0
I have so many mods that my Oblivion folder is twice its original size. :O

Anyway, that all makes sense Solovino. I categorize the E.C. as primarily adventure/drama, but there are elements of all those other things I listed. I guess a better question would be how much of an undesirable genre (or subgenre) a person could tolerate if the rest of the fic was to their liking.

...Which is kind of a dumb question, now that I think of it. It all depends on the reader, I'd imagine.

...And I write for myself, so why am I even asking these questions?

EDIT: bobandbill's a mod now too? I'm beginning to feel left out here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back