• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lana.

*spin*
Years
In just about every guide to writing I've read, they all say an agent these days is almost mandatory if you want to get anywhere. I'm willing to believe them, seeing as I have no one else's advice to go on anyways.

On another note: my story's off to a great start. Yeah, when I was creating the thread, I hit the 'Enter' key instead of the apostrophe. So now I have a story called It. -__-

I think it's a bad sign, honestly.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
(A lot of noteworthy writers I can think of off the top of my head had agents back then, including, if I recall correctly -- and Asty can correct me if I'm not -- Orson Scott Card.)
He did have one. Right off the top of my head, she is specifically mentioned in the introduction to Speaker For the Dead, where she sells the book(s) for him. And that book was originally published back in 1986. He had an agent before that year, though what year specifically, I can't say for sure.

Though, in a flash of insight, I remembered that this was before the novelized version of Ender's Game, which was published in 1985. So I would assume that he had the agent I mentioned since before 1985. How far previous that is, again, I can't say. But I would assume he had an agent for a while, since the book Songmaster was published in 1978.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
On another note: my story's off to a great start. Yeah, when I was creating the thread, I hit the 'Enter' key instead of the apostrophe. So now I have a story called It. -__-

I think it's a bad sign, honestly.

Does it involve psycho zombie clowns? Because if it doesn't, then that's another thing the Pokémon fandom should have.

*makes a note of including this somewhere in AEM*

Also, thanks for the verification, Asty!

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
lol... I could extend mine to include a sort of jirachi wishmaker retelling XD (that is the only anime I can recall that has clowns).

Bay

Years
Brave New World...urgh, very funky book. O.o I read that as extra credit for my English class back at high school and just a whole bunch of events suddenly thrown out in the air. XD

Are there any kind of real life situations that can actually help you write more/better?
Sometimes whenever my family or friends makes a great joke, I would steal it and put it somewhere in my fanfic. :X Other than that, back when I was writing my first fic, "Heart of the Sea" I would go fishing with my dad a lot, so each time I go finishing I would think of ideas of how I want to progress the story.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Oh, well, Brave New Word is one of my favorite books.

In any case, just posted Chapter 3. derpderpderp

So, what about, Fahrenheit 451? anyone?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Waaaagh, the inactivity! Please, people, post something! It's only when this thread goes to sleep that I realise how large a part of my PC life it is!

Do you prefer to write fanfiction or original fiction? Why?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Please, people, post something!

Something. ♥

Seriously, when I'm not working, I'm usually dealing with friendly little newbies to this forum, so I've got my excuse. *nods*

I know it's going to be terrible of me to say this, but in terms of my own writing, fanfiction. I don't know. It always feels like I can come up with half-decent ideas with the right pacing and the right mixture of elements when I sit down to write fanfiction, but when I go to write original fiction, whatever comes out of it turns out incredibly cheesy. I can't really put my finger on why, but when I try to write original fiction, its pacing is too fast, its plot devices are stupid... just everything about it is wrong. *shrug* But I'm trying to resolve that, and I'll get it eventually.

In the meantime, for the most part, I love working on my fanfiction as I'm working on it. It usually takes a couple of months for me to see it as less-than-decentfic, and by that time, it usually doesn't matter because it's finished. I don't have to deal with it after that point.

Misheard Whisper

Years
Yay! Activity! oh dear god i has no lifes

I like writing both for various reasons. Original fiction, I have much more freedom. The ability to write about whatever I want without having somebody say "Hey! X told Y in Episode 237 that he would never do Z!" or "X never behaves like that!" is a great feeling. Also, my genres aren't limited. Admittedly, I could do a Pokemon fantasy story, but it would be awfully difficult, especially if I wanted to include magic.

Fanfiction, on the other hand, is a way to express myself in a different way, showing appreciation for this great fandom I find myself in. It can also be easier to write with boundaries, too; I often branch out wildly in originalfics. Also, writing chapter-by-chapter fanfiction gives me a feeling that there actually is some point in writing the next chapter, especially if I get a couple nice reviews.

So, sitting on the fence, as I so often do, both have pros and cons, and both are fun to do.

*falls off fence*

Original fiction 4eva!

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
Years

I know Valentine said it was terrible of her to say, but I'm feeling terrible for saying this in the Fanfiction area ^^;;

I much prefer writing original, simply because it's mine. I'm not saying Fanfiction is wrong, I've tried it a couple of times and I'm going to try it again for the 7 day 7 K challenge, but it just doesn't feel as much as my own as the stories and plots I come up with myself. Some are cheesy and generic, but sometimes I find myself thinking of something that is pretty original. I have something of a lack of patience though, because when I'm done planning everything for a story I've usually already come up with something else.

The two plots that I've gotten furthest in planning and am going to try to write are set in a modern time. One of them in a universe where everyone can shift into an animal, but that the prey are being hunted by the Carnivores. The other is about incarnations of the Greek gods that are being chased by enhanced humans, created by a backfiring punishment.

I enjoy toying with fanfiction also, because sometimes you just feel like placing someone equivalent of you in such a world. What I do hate are canons. I'm not quite sure why, but I cringe away at a fanfiction or roleplay where canons are being played or written, especially those cheesy ones where the lead always ends up with a well known canon, such as Riley or Ash. Cringe.

It is easier, I have to admit, to play around with a universe that is already created. Saves you from having to come up with the birds and the bees of said universe. It's better for if you don't want to dedicate as much work in the story but still feel like sowing together a decent to good story.

This is my opinion though, so don't hit me if you love canon fanfics!

Bay

Years
Right now at the moment, fanfiction. Like Jax, for some reason I too can come up with decent ideas for fanfiction, but for original fiction the ideas are just weird. XD I would love to try my hand at original fiction once more, but with my busy schedule and a few more fanfic ideas I want to do, not sure. :O

And as for Fahrenheit 451...that's an even more funkier book! :O I couldn't even understand what happened at the end.

Misheard Whisper

Years
It's . . . it's alive! *maniacal laughter that lasts nearly half a minute before degenerating into a helpless fit of distinctly unhealthy-sounding coughing and hacking that just about rips my throat out, all the while leaning backwards with hands upraised and fingers spread into claws*

Spoiler:

I need a life. Srsly.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
I like doing both. For original fiction, I love creating these worlds and the characters that populate it and I have no restrictions of what I can and cannot do. On the other hand, fanfiction is all about stretching the boundaries and finding interesting ways to go around them, something that I love doing.

So… meh. I can't choose. <_<

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I've never tried fanfiction before, so original fiction wins by default. :P However, I'm currently planning out a work of fanfiction that I'm quite excited about. :)

Lash

Years

I prefer to write fanfiction. Original fiction is just too challenging for me at times, and I'm no where near as creative with it as I am with fanfiction. Like Dagzar said, "fanfiction is all about stretching the boundaries and finding interesting ways to go around them", something I too love doing.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years

Actually, I'd have to say original fiction. I think it's because I can actually share original fiction with people I know in real life (I would never, of course, tell anyone in real life that I write fanfiction). When you can bounce ideas off of someone face to face, I think your ideas end up being more polished.

Also, I constantly worry about the restraints that come with fanfiction, in terms of how far from canon I can wander and still have it be Pokemon. When I started writing my first fic, I admittedly wasn't well learned in Pokemon canon at large. I was just getting back into Pokemon after not touching the stuff in five years, and I had an idea for a story and went with it before I realized that I hadn't done enough research. My knowledge was very limited to Generation I, and I wasn't even aware that Kanto and Johto were actually connected. Needless to say, fanfiction has taught me the importance of being familiar with your topic.

Valentine said:
It always feels like I can come up with half-decent ideas with the right pacing and the right mixture of elements when I sit down to write fanfiction

With me it's the exact opposite. With fanfiction I always feel like I'm walking on a bed of nails and that the fandom will find my ideas n00bish, sacriligious, or both.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
icomeanon6 said:
Needless to say, fanfiction has taught me the importance of being familiar with your topic.
I agree, and also in many forms of Original Fiction, I constantly find myself needing to have a great deal of knowledge about some aspect outside of writing in general. The current fanfic I'm planning is grounded in the knowledge I gained from research into an original short story I wrote for school a couple of years back. That's what I love about writing - you can draw in outside knowledge from basically anywhere. ^_^

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I prefer writing Original Fiction, it allows me to be as creative as I want, and not be restrained by the canon of pre-fabricated universes. Though I'm easily frustrated when I have to try and research trivial things like the weight of leather armor XD

Bay

Years
Since everyone else is talking about restrictions by canon and whatknot...

Actually for me, I still have to research both when writing original fiction and fanfiction. Since I wrote historical fiction and mystery stories in the past, I would have to research a lot of historical background and also some police stuff. For fanfiction, depending on which fandom, lots of times research on some items, people, places, and powers (if the fandom has characters using superpowers, like Naruto, but goes same with which attacks the Pokemon can learn). I don't mind too much though as sometimes I actually have fun researching into those things. Time does fly fast though after finishing doing my research. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back