• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Its down to the trade-off between nature and ability really. Brave nature lowers speed (Sentret's best attribute), but you have Keen Eye which can be handy, particularly against Falkner. Naughty doesn't affect speed (both natures boost attack) which is good, but Run Away's really not that useful, unless you somehow end up against wild pokémon which are significantly stronger than you.
Keen Eye also decreases the wild encounter rate 50% if it's your lead pokémon, which'll make it harder to train if you lead with it initially, and also harder to hunt for wild pokémon using it. But will help when you're going through somewhere you've already been.

So, basically the female one will be slower but immune to Sand Attack and if leading, less likely to encounter wild pokémon. The male one will be faster, can have its accuracy lowered (although not that many pokémon use that tactic) and can run away from wild encounters, of which there will be more with it.
This is excluding IVs obviously.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
After defeating Red and completing a few other side quests, I've decided to take on the Bell Tower challenge in SoulSilver. I have already traveled back to Ecruteak with the Rainbow Wing, gotten access to the tower, and climbed past the first two floors. Unfortunately, I have trouble getting to the ladder that leads up from the third floor: could someone else please help? (When I searched for walkthroughs on YouTube, most results were either music remixes or help for Bellsprout Tower; sorting through all those is tedious and frustrating.) If you can locate a guide to the area--in words or pictures--I would appreciate that very much. Thank you!

Years
In my personal opinion, I'd prefer Keen Eye over Run Away as far as abilities go. For in-game play, natures don't mean as much compared to competitive play, so I'm sure you'll be fine no matter which one you decide to use.

However, Furret is not really that great in the long run since it gets outclassed by better Pokemon of its type later in the game. The Attack boost from those two natures you said can help it hit a bit harder so I'm sure you'll be alright regardless of which one you'll use.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
I finally caught Ho-Oh last night (yay!), and want to get hold of Suicune now. I've sighted it at least three times as a runaway encounter: first at the Burned Tower, theen near the Apricorn trees, and lastly by the Vermillion City docks. Despite those encounters, Suicune doesn't reappear when I check the hilltop at the end of Route 25. Am I overlooking some fourth requirement? Please help me if you can!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Did you see it on route 14? Should be the route right of Fushcia, over in the water. After that, make sure Misty has returned to her gym, and Suicune should be on that hilltop by Bill's house.

mizterdekazy

Experienced Pokemon Trainer
Years
Favorite Pokemon in HG/SS?

Pick 3 Of YOUR favorite pokemon from HG/SS !!
they have to be different elements each (water, fire etc.)
Evolution is fine.
and why they are your favorite.
** so I wanna create a team of 3 because I challenge myself since I am bored of playing rom hacks..**
I will catch each pokemon and keep each in a party of 3 and not going past that.
I will ONLY catch the pokemon you list before JUNE 5th, 2013!
** when i reach Lv.60 with a pokemon they will be switched out for another one on the list.
please feel free to post more than once with different pokemons though!
I will appreciate the feedback!
OH and to be more specific, doing it for each game which is HG/SS !
:D

kingfor6

Pkmn Trainer SS Goku
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2015
I have 2 baby chansey, 1 bold nature with Natural Cure, and 1 Quiet nature with Serene Grace. Which one is the more considerable?
Obviously she has max HP and really good special defense.
Can you still EV train with HP even though its a max 255 or should it even be considered?
I will say that I wont consider defense (obvious) because its way too low by default, or attack.
Which stats should be emphasized?

Craftswitch

Ghost Pikachu
Years
Stunky

Hello, I been playing through Soul Silver and I thought to myself "I wonder if there are any skunk Pokemon" as skunks are my favorite animal. I did a little research and found Stunky but also sadly found that it's not catchable in soul silver.
Does anyone know of any way i can get one.
Can Soul silver trade with diamond?

Thanks ^.^

Years
Uh yes SoulSilver can trade with all 4th Generation games, such as Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold (and also SoulSilver) so yup you can trade it over from Diamond.

I guess the question has been answered, hope I helped you out!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'll go ahead and move this into the 4th Gen Help Thread. If you've got any future questions about the games of the fourth generation, feel free to post them in there! 8)

[ Moved ]

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 19, 2014
2 Questions:

1. I had a chain of 23 zubat and on a regular patch going for my 24th zubat it was shiny. Was this a 1/8000 chance or did the odds drop because I had chained 23 in a row? (It was not in a shiny patch)

2. If I reset my DS clock back to the same exact day and time i caught that zubat is it possible to catch another shiny assuming I hit that same exact frame again?

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
2 Questions:

1. I had a chain of 23 zubat and on a regular patch going for my 24th zubat it was shiny. Was this a 1/8000 chance or did the odds drop because I had chained 23 in a row? (It was not in a shiny patch)

2. If I reset my DS clock back to the same exact day and time i caught that zubat is it possible to catch another shiny assuming I hit that same exact frame again?

1. No, you only get increased odds if you hit a chain of 40.

2. In theory yes, but the chances of doing something like that without RNG is so slim that you might as well go shiny hunting instead.

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2014
Contest Help?

Hi, so I've been trying to win the master rank of all the contests. Starting with Cool, I've been trying to max out my Mareep(To get the red scarf from the guy in Pastoria City). I've been making poffins with Enigma berries, but the pokemon's sheen is full before the pkmn is maxed out.:|

I know how to perfectly cook poffins, that a pokemon can only eat up to 255 in sheen,etc.

Keeping that in mind, here are my questions:
1. What berries are spiciest?
2. What spicy berries have the best smooth to level ratio?
3. How can I obtain these berries?
4. What other things can I do to win the contests?

Thank you!!!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Hi there mad4mareeps, I'll just quickly go ahead and move this into the 4th Gen Help Thread where questions asking for assistance belong. 8)

[ Moved ]

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Hi, so I've been trying to win the master rank of all the contests. Starting with Cool, I've been trying to max out my Mareep(To get the red scarf from the guy in Pastoria City). I've been making poffins with Enigma berries, but the pokemon's sheen is full before the pkmn is maxed out.:|

I know how to perfectly cook poffins, that a pokemon can only eat up to 255 in sheen,etc.

Keeping that in mind, here are my questions:
1. What berries are spiciest?
2. What spicy berries have the best smooth to level ratio?
3. How can I obtain these berries?
4. What other things can I do to win the contests?

Thank you!!!

I think the best rated berry for Spice is the Spelon Berry. I think there's a better one, but I'm not sure. It's because if you start from square one, in about 5 perfect-poffin feeds the Pokémon maxes out. I don't know about the smooth to level ratio, but I think it'll do the trick.
You can obtain it randomly from the Berry Master, along with four other cool berries which you should note:
Durin Berry
Pamtre Berry
Belue Berry
Watmel Berry

Rapidly grow these berries, quick! They'll help you out.

Other things to do include, improve your dancing skills. Although the move stage is the most points giver, it will hurt your ranking if you can't dance well. I once lost a close contest because my dancing was worse.

Try to get exotic dress-up items that can improve your point score.

And... get the right moves. THE ABSOLUTELY BEST COMBINATION. Things like Rain Dance + Water Beauty Move tend to stand out as a good combination. You should also keep a move such as Quick Attack, so you'll tend to get extra points if you move first.

Then: use them at the right judge, at the right time. Just estimate where everyone's gonna pool in their moves, and try to get the 'jackpot', or all stars shine on a judge.

Retry a few times. It's also sometimes about luck, so don't look down if you've lost your first!

EDIT : Forgot to mention. You can also get this berry (with much lower chance) as a random pickup after walking 200 steps in the Amity Square... or that whatever in Hearthome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back