• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I would love to see them release Digimon world over here but I doubt it very much.

always see so many games i would love to play released in japan and never brought out over here. One I would love to have on PS vita for example is DJ max. I love all them games with a passion but they never come out over here.

On that point what is peoples opinion on the shear favouritism that is seen with the Vita and what games are released outside of japan?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
It's a bit of a double-edged sword in that there's really no market for the Vita here like there is in Japan, but most people I know wouldn't mind getting a Vita were it not for the sheer lack of games.

But really, Japan LOVES its handhelds. Tons of people have handhelds and not nearly as many own consoles whereas I feel like it's sliiightly opposite here... or at least, here we take console games a lot more seriously than handhelds. Couple that with the fact that the market for Japanese-y games really isn't strong here (JRPGs don't do nearly as well as other games and are often derided for their anime-ish base) and you just don't have a good recipe for the Vita out west. It's a shame but that's just how it goes.

I wish more stuff would come out here but for now I'm just really thankful that the Vita is region-free, unlike the 3DS. <_<;

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Well it seems that Nintendo gamers will be dealing with a region lock for quite a while, according to this article: LINK
I'm not sure what region locking has to do with parental controls, the Xbox One and PS4 are region free and have parental controls...

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Searching for a good 3DS XL case

My 3DS XL is currently exposed to the elements and I want to keep it from gathering dust. If possible, I'd like a case with lots of room for storing carts.

I'm also looking for a case to store carts separately, as currently I have nowhere to store them other than the boxes and it's very annoying to open the box, take the game out, close it, and so on. Plus my Supercard DSTWO is out on the loose and I don't want to damage it.

Any suggestions are welcome, especially if the shops can ship internationally.

Cherrim

Years
I use a standard soft padded case that I bought at TRU or Gamestop or wherever they sell 3DSes. It has a mesh zip section in the back that can be used for games, I suppose, but I don't trust it since I'd be scared of them getting damaged through the mesh. I also have a really flimsy zipped pouch that fits 3DS but it's such a thin fabric that I don't trust it with my 3DS when I'm tossing it into my purse. If you're just looking for a dust cover, pretty much, it could be an option. This is the one I have. It's probably a little too small to fit an XL but you should be able to find similar things at the same price point on Play-Asia, I'd imagine. They ship just about everywhere.

The case I use for my games is one of those Club Nintendo prizes that looks like one game case and has slots for 18 games or something. Don't know if that would be an option for you. Otherwise, I used something like this for my DS games last gen and loved how small, compact, and functional it was so if you can find something like that, go for it!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Thanks for answer. I didn't remember Play-Asia had those stuff, it might be the place to go. I looked at the Waterfield case but it's quite expensive and I'm not sure how much the shipping will cost.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I picked up the hard Pokemon Case for my Pokemon DSi. Had to keep the theme going ;p. Wasnt bad price and can store 6 games and an extra stylus in it. But isn't very portable.

On the vita topic before. I only play using my EU account, I have never set up a japanese account and wouldn't even know how. lol. If I could i would love to though. Just don't see why i should go to the effort to have to make a new account just so I can play half the games I would like to. Already had to wait 6 months or something crazy to get ragnarok oddysey and that games currently my favourite vita title other than persona 4. I am way more into my Handle helds than console gaming right now, Wish they would get more popular all seems to be 3DS in the EU and I don't even own one. Even monster hunter went to 3DS and that was a huge hit.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
It's largely due to the lack of games. There really haven't been many since launch. It hasn't really bothered me, though. I never had a PSP, so I've been getting a kick out of all these titles I missed, plus the Vita has Persona 4, and that was all it needed to buy my affection.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Eh, I think the lack of marketing and advertisement didn't exactly help the cause either. Or, as far as I know, anyway. I, myself don't have a Vita, but, I do like the games that are being released/are released for it. Unfortunately, I guess there hasn't been much plans to release titles, like maybe some Tales series titles for the Vita, so I guess this whole thing has been a letdown. Maybe in the future it'll be better.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
The ironic thing about the Tales games is that none of them are going to be released in the West until Bamco sees the Vita as an undoubtedly profitable system. I mean, I'd definitely say that our friends in Japan are getting the better deal with the Vita. While I'm fine with mine, they have a larger library to choose from and more companies that are willing to support them.

That's not to say I regret buying my Vita, I've been having a great time with the PSP titles I downloaded, as well as the Vita titles that I have and Playstation +. Plus it has a great display and it has a lot to offer...it's a darn shame that it isn't doing particularly well.

Cherrim

Years
I love my Vita as a system so much more than my 3DS but I agree, there just isn't enough to buy for it. :( I'd love to see it get a better library here in the West because it's such a phenomenal system--the screen is gorgeous and responsive, it feels great in your hands, it's so function and so on... but one or two games isn't enough to justify the huge price tag. At least, for most people it isn't. (And honestly, although lots of people were content buying a Vita just for P4G, the game didn't really draw me in much and had that been the only reason I got a Vita, I would've been disappointed.)

Although if you already have a PS3, you should have PS+ already and if you have a Vita, PS+ is an amazing deal. When I got my Vita, right out the gate I had a handful of great games that I'd really been looking forward to playing (like Gravity Rush which was so good) just from being a subscriber. Sony is doing great things and I wish it was paying off for them a little more, you know? :P

Supposedly there's gonna be a big Tales announcement today/tomorrow though. It's possible it could be one of the Vita titles for localization but it's more likely to be Xillia 2, even if it makes more sense to me to wait until the first one comes out so they can see the reception for it. :| nvm it was xillia 2 haha

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
To be honest if you're not into RPGs the Vita isn't exactly the best system. Mine is pretty much a(n awesome) portable PS1 machine.

Though I suppose having Playstation All Stars, Uncharted, Rayman Origins and Sly 4 on the go is awesome too.

I have to say though, Playstation Plus didn't do much for me on the Vita compared to the PS3. Since I got Golden Abyss (awesome game, by the way) with the Vita, I was left with Gravity Rush, which was extremely mediocre, WipEout, which was nowhere near as good as F-Zero and Jet Set Radio...which was good actually.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I'm a Nintendo fanboy so I've been secretly wishing for the Vita to flop... But anyway, isn't the Vita region-free? It would be a huge advantage. I personally don't care about region lock on the 3DS because I'm not interested in playing Japanese-only games. It was fun when I was a kid and didn't know English either, but now, it's like going blind into a deathtrap. But there's a lot of public for Japanese games in the Western world and Japan imports are hot stuff.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Region-Locking still shouldn't be there. After all, Region-Locking is the reason that a lot of games have come over. It allows us to express interest in titles that might not have otherwise come over (such as the Gyakuten Saiban franchise, to name one).

But I dunno...I have so much more to choose from on my 3DS and so much to look forward to, I couldn't well say I like my Vita more. I mean, I did just get Mortal Kombat Vita, but a lot of the games that I want to play (and even own, + or otherwise) are pretty large, and the prices for larger Vita Memory Cards are pretty steep. They dropped the price in Japan but there's no drop in sight here. Heck, they even dropped the price of the Vita in Japan, and I would bet that if they did the same in the West things would get better for them. With my 3DS I don't hesitate. I pop in my 16 gig and download games without hesitation. With my Vita, though, I'm often left making big decisions on what I want to download out of what I already own, which deters me from buying other things (especially PSP and PSX games, since they're digital only...and currently have the most of my interest) because I won't have enough space. Heck, I have a number of Vita games from + that I would enjoy having on there, including Mortal Kombat which I just bought for $5, but I can't play them because I only have 4 gigs and currently have Gods Eater Burst, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, Patapon and Final Fantasy Tactics on there, which forbids me from putting videos or music on there, putting pretty much any Vita game on there without deleting most of the games, or watching youtube videos without deleting something.

Last edited:

Cherrim

Years
3DS definitely has the better library right now but that region locking? It's a big issue for me. I guess it really isn't for most people but I imported my 3DS from Japan so all I can play are Japanese games. For a while I was able to borrow my roommate's 3DS and I own one English game for it but now that ACNL's come out, I never see that 3DS anymore lmao.

So I only have... what... 5 games for 3DS instead? I could easily DOUBLE that number if I were able to buy games locally here and play them on my system but I can't, so instead I have to save up and import. (And Japan's prices are already ridiculous without shipping/import fees.) Yeah, I could have just not imported but gaming is my favourite way of studying/exposure to Japanese. I can understand my imports well enough, so why not? About half the games I own on 3DS aren't even on the table for localization and I'd be gutted to not have been able to play them (especially Prof Layton vs Ace Attorney which I'm working through now... it's so good!). Plus... the Vita has no real problems. Yeah, buying digitally is kind of annoying for it but I ordered Tales of Innocence R the other day and when it gets here, I'll be able to pop it in and play it no problem.

I definitely agree about the memory card issue though. :( I think mine came with a 4GB card too and once I finish a game, I have to delete it off the card in order to play anything else. I'm watching for sales of the 32GB one or whatever but... augh. Haven't seen any at a time I've been able to afford them. However, I don't think that's a comparable issue to the 3DS because while it has more user-friendly memory (SD card or whatever), I'm so paranoid of buying ANYTHING through the eShop. The most I've gotten is just DLC and a small puzzle game because Nintendo is SO BAD at this sort of thing. If I lose my 3DS? There is NOTHING that can be done. I don't get to keep any of the games I bought. If I get a new 3DS and transfer the games up and then something happens to that new 3DS? I can never get the games back on the old one even though I paid for them. Nintendo really needs to step up their game if they're going to offer more and more digital services. Until they do, I'm far too wary to make use of their shop. I may have to delete things a lot on Vita but at least I know I can always just download them right back when I need them.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
That's why I hope this whole Nintendo ID thing is true, it would aid the 3DS...or rather, it would aid 3DS users GREATLY, and I have quite a few games on that thing. Well, only 2 "full" games, but I also have the ambassador stuff, a bunch of VC games, and a bunch of eshop games...literally hundreds of dollars in content. If I lost that...I dunno what I'd do. With the Nintendo ID, things would just be so much more secure and reliable.

And I agree, there's a lot more interest in Region Locking than Nintendo realizes. I mean, they did recently make a statement about it, likely thanks to the petition, but when I see games like those of Level-5 that aren't slated to come over, or many of the others that aren't as well but could still be enjoyed by a non-native speaker (or, say, it's released in a region that does speak your language but doesn't come to yours), it gets me burned up that there's nothing I can do about this but by a Japanese (or whatever region) 3DS and then conduct my business. I should have the option to play games from other regions. It just makes sense.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Am I the only one who'd prefer region locking over overpriced memory cards?

That 8gb memory card gave me WAY more trouble than region locking ever did.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Am I the only one who'd prefer region locking over overpriced memory cards?

That 8gb memory card gave me WAY more trouble than region locking ever did.
No, because the pricing of memory cards is a more relevant problem to me and it would be an even bigger problem if there weren't region locking (which there isn't, on the Vita).

Having said that, I wouldn't prefer either of them. If I had to choose between them I'd have to take a look at what's at risk on the system in question, but I don't think either of those things is something the consumer would want. Any consumer.

EDIT: ...Though, all things considered, I think region locking is a larger issue on both a universal and a personal front. Despite memory cards being overpriced, they simply limit what you can have on your device at one time. To prevent that, you'd just have to bite the bullet and buy a larger memory card. I don't mean to undermine this, it IS a big issue and an incredibly annoyance to me as a Vita user. I think the bigger issue, though, is that we are restricted to Sony's rather inconvenient storage medium. If we were able to use something else, this would be no problem at all, but these memory cards are both overpriced and inconvenient for transferring data. I'm not saying a revision is required, but if they were to switch to Micro SDs (which is unlikely), I would be much happier with my Vita.

However, with Region Locking, you are completely unable to enjoy games from other regions. There's no sacrifice that can be made to make it happen and it's much more than an inconvenience; you're practically shut out from the gaming world in terms of choices. To actually play those games, you not only need to buy the system for the game of that region, but you also have to deal with all the inconvenience that comes with it.

For instance, and I want to use an English language game as an example, I really want Inazuma Eleven 3. I'm a big fan of Inazuma Elevens 1 and 2, and I've really been interested in three, which was previously Japan-only. Now, it's finally getting released in English!...In Europe. On the DS, this would hardly be inconvenient. 1 and 2 were EU/JP only, so all I had to do was import and pop 'em into my DS. Heck, playing from a flashcart or emulator was even an option if I didn't want to or couldn't import them. With the 3DS...it's not so simple. Since it's region locked, I can't get it without buying an EU 3DS. What's more, there is no way to play via emulator and the current "flashcart" (so to speak) can't play games from other regions. So, essentially, I'm in a predicament where I want this one English game but I am unable to play it at all from my 3DS.

This isn't a small thing, either. There have been PLENTY of games that were NA/JP only and were not available to the EU. One of the most famous examples is Chrono Trigger, which was that way for 10+ years before it was released internationally on the DS. Many people natively spoke the languages, and many other games didn't require the language to be spoken to understand them, but they were still denied from the average consumer of various regions. I'm not just talking importers or people who have interests in games from various regions, but I'm talking about the average joe that simply really wants a game from another region, and I think that's a pretty big deal.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I have a 32GB SD card, but I must say these things are expensive and, well, IMO it's better to spend SD space not on eShop games but other things like photos, etc. which you can send somewhere else and erase from the SD. And, of course, Virtual Console games, which are extremely light (in the case of 8-bit games) and you can have tons of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back