• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Wynaut? (Many reasons, actually)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Hoenn kept up what became a tradition - giving away an egg of a baby pokémon introduced in the current generation. In this case, this little guy:

360Wynaut.png

Anyone familiar with competitive battling knows that Wobbuffet is in the rare "uber" tier due to his ability and moveset, and was actually banned in Gen III because Wobbuffet vs. Wobbuffet could never end. Wynaut also has a gimmicky use in battling like that. However, in-game capability and competitive battling capability don't always coincide, and given Wynaut's limitations this can be said to be one of those times. That said, have any of you ever used Wynaut in your game? If so why, and did it work out at all?

I'm currently planning on using the one I just hatched (and leave it involved) as a) I've never gotten one into the Hall of Fame, b) unlike my last failed attempt I now understand the whole physical vs. special thing being decided on type pre-gen IV and c) it hatched with a good ability for competitive battles and as you need to EV train for Battle Frontier I reckon it could do some damage. Not going to lie I am very apprehensive.

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
Tbh I never thought of using Wynaut/Wobbuffet in-game or anywhere else. Trying to predict what move the opponent would use would be too much of a hassle imo.

Honestly wynaut give it a chance if you understand the physical/special split. Do Wobbuffet's or Wynaut's show up in the Battle Frontier at all?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Tbh I never thought of using Wynaut/Wobbuffet in-game or anywhere else. Trying to predict what move the opponent would use would be too much of a hassle imo.

Yeah the likes of Magnemite which mix special attacks and sonicboom are terrible to deal with, I tend to throw it in on predictable opponents - for example when I face Winona I fully expect to be able to OHKO it with Mirror Coat when it uses Dragonbreath.

Honestly wynaut give it a chance if you understand the physical/special split. Do Wobbuffet's or Wynaut's show up in the Battle Frontier at all?

They're not on Bulbapedia's list of banned pokémon for it so I guess they can, whether or not they will though is another thing. I'd be wary of using it because of the whole Wobbuffet-with-Leftovers-stalemate thing, although I guess Wynaut would be more vulnerable. Might use it in that one where the pokémon decide their own moves.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
In competitive play it's a godsend, but casually, eh, it's amusing for a few battles actually; like if you're up against a killer pokemon who spams a particular move? Wynaut/Wobbuffet can take advantage of that!

Although, personally I don't use the duo all that much though, when I can just rely on type match-ups and power, etc to win all of the battles during the journey.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I think Wynaut is a cute Pokemon, but I hate its ability, Shadow Tag, and I don't like its movepool either. The few moves it gets are annoying moves like Counter, Mirror Coat, and Destiny Bond, with the only exception being the ever-useless Splash. So it's still a Pokemon I dislike.

Back