• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y For a returning player

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 22, 2015
So is it really worth it to get X/Y? I am back in the pokemon craze. But the thing is, I hadn't played it since Ruby and I have a free DS/Pokémon black presently.

But I discovered the wifi stuff no longer works. So I thought about going out to buy a 2 DS and exchanging black for X or Y(probably X).

The thing is, much like when I was a kid, the only Nintendo game I've ever cared about was Pokémon and that hasn't changed now.

1. Is it worth it just to buy a 2DS for Pokémon X?
2. I've never done the friend codes/wifi battles...is it easy to find people/friends to do that stuff with?
3. For someone who mainly just cares about battling(and I generally don't care about my pokedex) and getting badges, is X really going to be anything significantly better to warrant me having to spend 90-100 bucks to get a 2DS?

If it is hard to find people to battle with and communicate with, I am not sure if the 2DS is worth it lol

Years
Nice to hear you are getting back into Pokemon!

First up, wi-fi is still functional for this game since it's on the 3DS. It's only wi-fi on the DS and Wii that has been discontinued.

As for if you should get a 2DS, it's pretty much like the 3DS except you can't fold it up like a 3DS so it may not as easily fit in your pocket and also lacks the 3D function of the 3DS.

Friend codes and wi-fi battles are pretty easy to find since we have a lot of people here on PC who battle and there's some who also share Friend Codes for a few things, such as adding certain Friend Safaris, which change based on each individual code.

X & Y have some nice features like trainer customization and the aforementioned Friend Safari, which the other 6th Gen main games (OR/AS) lacks so I think it'd be worth buying it.

Good luck and hopefully you enjoy the game!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Personally, I don't usually mind spending money under a system solely to play Pokémon, so long as the device is more on the affordable side. 2DS isn't that much pricey, in my opinion, so if I were you, I'd definitely consider buying.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
It's definitely worth it, for all the reasons Hikamaru said: Wi-Fi is still up and running on the 3DS, and it's easier than ever to find people to battle and trade with thanks to the Player Search System (PSS) in the game. And in addition to that, you can also find plenty of friend codes here, in the 6th gen friend code sharing thread.

Personally, I'd say go for it! It's definitely worth it, and if you love Pokemon I'm sure you'll love X&Y :)

Years
It's true, previous gen Wi-Fi is no more, but a lot of older players have been coming back this generation. It's pretty cool to think about that, so I would surely say that XY are good for people who want to get back into the series after a long time.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
ORAS is probably better in content, and X/Y is a bit boring at first but it's not bad.

(hard to get used to though)

Back