• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need tips

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Ok, well I've got quite a bit of and am working on some more of THAT type of conflict. That's good to know since I really don't feel like writing a large saga with Teams and legendaries, but then again, it still doesn't really feel like Hoenn with out something of that sort.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
Ok, well I've got quite a bit of and am working on some more of THAT type of conflict. That's good to know since I really don't feel like writing a large saga with Teams and legendaries, but then again, it still doesn't really feel like Hoenn with out something of that sort.
Hoenn does'nt always have to have something like that going on :P Golly, what did you think they were doing before the game happened? If Hoenn was 'the land of legends popping out of the ground to destory the world every 2nd sunday' I don't think anyone would live there-.-

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I suppose that's true. I have a better idea now, anyways.
But after my characters reach the Hoenn league, I'm sort of lost in terms of direction. I have a few things that I want them to do but I don't know their long term aspirations.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Maybe you could follow a different plot line for the second book than what you did with the first. Use the next book to show how the experiences the main character went through in the first book changed him enough to deal with the new set of problems. And it could be something different from what he went through in the first book.

xD My favorite book series (of all time!) does this. The first book reads so differently from the other three books of the series that it can stand alone. This is accomplished because the main character deals with two different problems, and uses the experiences gained in the first book to solve the problems in the later book. (Let's not toss in the other reasons: different pace, the 3000 year difference in the time line...)

Or you could make them have more of an intrinsic goal. Like, they want to make it to the Hoenn League, but there's also another reason for going aside from wanting to be the numbah one Pogeyman Masta!

Or you could just take a short break and think things over. Perhaps do what I do and wait for inspiration to strike you.

That's all I can say on the matter.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Well I still want to keep post-Hoenn league as part of Book 1.
I'm not a patient person so I'll keep writing and find it out as I go.
Would making the characters travel on a wing and a prayer be a good or bad idea?

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
Well I still want to keep post-Hoenn league as part of Book 1.
I'm not a patient person so I'll keep writing and find it out as I go.
Would making the characters travel on a wing and a prayer be a good or bad idea?
*subbenly hears a 80's song playing in the background*
Um, it depends what that means :P. Really I would not overdo it, becuase remember how high you put the action means that you have to go that much farther to top it, which can be a very hard thing to do if you don't have just the right style...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Yeah, if you set up the standards for action in your story too high, and you start to "fail to deliver", then your readers might become disappointed. They will come to expect a certain quality from you.

I'd say to just keep writing and see how things go. Sometimes you just can't plan what your characters want to do or where they want to go. Just let the writing happen as it'll happen.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I'm having trouble with a tough decision.
I can't decide if I want my protagonist pokemon to evolve again. It might be too soon, and I don't know if I do or don't want to, yet.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
I'm having trouble with a tough decision.
I can't decide if I want my protagonist pokemon to evolve again. It might be too soon, and I don't know if I do or don't want to, yet.

Totally up to you.. not everyone pokemon has to evolve to their final evolution. Also, depends where you are.. If you have your trainer get a starter as Mudkip, and it's a Swampert in your story by the 4th gym without massive training sessions that probably makes it want to kill you, then you have a problem.

By the way, is this an OT fic? I'm kind of slow.. =)

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I'll find out what you mean by "OT fic".

I found out; Well it is an original trainer, but I don't think he wants to become a pokemon master...as opposed to...not becoming a pokemon master.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
OT fic basically has a trainer collecting the badges and going through the league and crap.. =)

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I'm having trouble with what to do when my protagonist trainer has 6 pokeballs. I don't really like the idea of the ball disappearing right when he catches something, since I can't really bring out the pokemon to expand on the personality. Are there any loopholes for this?

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
I'm having trouble with what to do when my protagonist trainer has 6 pokeballs. I don't really like the idea of the ball disappearing right when he catches something, since I can't really bring out the pokemon to expand on the personality. Are there any loopholes for this?

There's a few things I could think of.. Don't have him/her catch more than six pokemon for one. Have him/her give it to another trainer or something as a gift. Have a different trainer in the group catch it instead. Or replace it for one of it's current pokemon when you run out of ideas for one of them, and switch off from time to time.

Another thing I'd like to point out: A belt can definitely hold more than six pokeballs. Think about it. The pokeballs are minimized until the trainer hits the middle button so it can fit in the palm of your hand, so do you think the belt is so small that it can't fit six? A backpack can, too, as any other place you could think of. You CAN have six pokeballs or more. I would just change it to where the league states you can only enter six pokemon when you reach the league or something, because if they were to allow more, a battle would never, ever end.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I think my best bet is sending a select few to Professor ___'s lab/ranch.

Here's another thing...(pretending this is canon, btw) If "Trainer A" catches "Pokemon A" and Pokemon A stays out of it's pokeball and Pokemon A's empty pokeball is in the bottom of a river... can Trainer A have 6 other pokemon or still only 5?

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
*sings* I have a theory..I have a theory (sp?)...
In my fic there is a much more history based reason for the six pokemon rule being adopted, but going by the games alone...
I think there is something that happens to a pokeball when it is carring a pokemon that makes said pokemon and their balls have low levels of a certain type of energy that is harmfull to humans in large amounts. A pokemon in the wild does not put out this energy untill they are captured and turned into energy by the pokeball for the first time...
While a pokemon without it's ball would not have as much of this energy around it since it had not been made into 'light' by the ball in a long time, I go with the idea the trainers are still to worried by the stories of people with a lot of pokemon in the olden days dieing very painful deaths to risk it...
Most cities and villages have something to cut down the level of this energy so that a large amount of poeple can have their pokemon out at a time, and, most of the people who camp in the forests don't use their pokeballs as much as gym trainers and live far apart so their levels are lower....
Just my crazy idea :)

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Actually, if you're going by the manga Canon, the six Pokemon isn't a set limit for how many you can carry around, just a limit on the number of Pokemon that can be used in any one official battle. I mean, imagine a twenty vs. twenty. Isane much? Anyway, the main idea of only traveling with six in the manga is that Pokemon require attention, and a trainer needs to be able to devote it to all Pokemon with him/her. More then six Pokemon, and you're going to have an awfully hard time paying special attention to each one.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Actually, if you're going by the manga Canon, the six Pokemon isn't a set limit for how many you can carry around, just a limit on the number of Pokemon that can be used in any one official battle. I mean, imagine a twenty vs. twenty. Isane much? Anyway, the main idea of only traveling with six in the manga is that Pokemon require attention, and a trainer needs to be able to devote it to all Pokemon with him/her. More then six Pokemon, and you're going to have an awfully hard time paying special attention to each one.

That's basically what I said, just.. longer. >>

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I think I'll only have 8 Max at a time My character only has 6 for the league anyways.

One more question for now. My character's are at the Hoenn League, and there are four arenas. Three are Grass, Rock, and Water. I need help thinking of one more (Not ice, I don't want to deal with ice right now.

Back