• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The GHOST

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Do you remember that ghost that you see in the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town? If you don't have a Silph Scope, the only thing you would see is this particular ghost:

latest

The ghost won't harm you, but your pokemon will be afraid on attacking it, as the Ghost will repeatedly tell you to "Go away...". When you actually get the Silh scope, you can encounter actual ghost-type pokemon. Reaching the end of the Pokemon Tower, and if you have a Silph Scope in hand, you'll see the ghost again, but this time it will turn into a Marowak.

So, what did you think of this... ghost? Did this turn into a tragic setting for you? Did you try battling it? Did you try catching the Marowak? Feel free to share thoughts!

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I forget what I did the first time I saw it(it's been roughly 20 years so cut me some slack), but I find that having to go get the Silph Scope to be a minor inconvenience(although it's not straightforward that you have to get it though). Seeing Marowak at the end did leave two impressions. 1) Pokemon die just like people do(or like a Family Pet, hence it stings) and 2) People can be thoughtless and cruel and that has no boundaries(including time).

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
The ghost looks creepy looking. I don't think I have ever battled it before. I tried catching the Marowak but it kept dodging the Poke Balls and I assumed it can't be captured so I just knocked it out.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
The ghost looks creepy looking. I don't think I have ever battled it before. I tried catching the Marowak but it kept dodging the Poke Balls and I assumed it can't be captured so I just knocked it out.

I can confirm that it cannot be captured, but it can be beaten as long as you have the Silph Scope and a Pokémon that knows a Water, Grass, or Ice-type attack.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
I felt that the ghost did contribute to the atmosphere of the pokemon tower. I honestly did try to fight it, multiple times.

GymShorts

Snipers Get More Head
Years
I don't actually mind the rocket hideout to get the silph scope so I can battle the ghost.Its a pity though that you can't catch the Marowak.Game Freak should of done a throwback by having a ground and ghost type.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I was always confused by the ghost, but I remember trying to catch them once, not a good idea....lmfao.

The gen I sprite is creepy, but my only real experience w/gen I is the remakes, and the ghost wasn't as scary looking in those games honestly...

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I loved Lavender Town and the tower and all the ghosts. When I was younger I loved creepy movies and what not, so I liked the feel of the town, and I remember playing that part a few times over the years, and I purposefully wouldn't get the Silph Scope, because I wanted to see the ghosts. Lol

It was eerie walking around in there, and then the music playing was creepy, but it was cool back in the day.

The only similar feeling I've had in a game since then is Death in Persona 3, when it's coming for you in a dungeon you just here rattling chains in the distance, and if it pops up when you walk around, you're pretty much dead. LOL It's a good thing the ghosts in Pok?mon didn't really go that far.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
Wow, boy, that ghost really brought back memories. I was 10, eager and in a rush to plot-progress, and what did I see? A typical rival battle. (Odd for Blue to attack you here, but w/e.) Booting the rival, I proceeded up the stairs, not before chatting up the NPCs, finding out this was a graveyard. (Keep in mind that without talking to the villagers or fully exploring the Tower, it just looks simply like a gloomy town.)

Keeping in mind that certain trainers were possessed, as well as our encounters, which, of course, is Gastly/Haunter/Cubone turned sprite, I sped forward. (Not even plot-related, they can easily be re-written to be ordinarily-confident trainers instead of possessed damsels, unless Marowak was evil and was consciously possessing the trainers, which makes no sense, imo. I'll even entertain the idea that Marowak was scared, scared Marowak needs to possess everyone above the second floor to protect Fuji, who wasn't possessed, good for him, but we have plot holes, so I'll proceed.) You don't need Silph Scope to take out the trained Ghosts of the Channelers, so I end up taking on all the trainers before fighting Giovanni at Game Corner.

Concerning Marowak, the backstory was unneccesary, but a neat way to further outline Rocket's evil nature. (And this is the same team w/ Jessie and James, w/e.) Also, it was a great way to tie Rocket w/ Lavender Tower. I must have wasted like 10 Poke/Great Balls before giving up, here was even a capture attempt that left Marowak in the red, but no hope to recruit it. At least you can catch Cubone, if you're lucky. ^^

Final thought: The GHOST sprite is awesome imo, plot points (even seemingly fractured in their construction) add some element of pathos to the Rocket War, and Gastly and Cubone are so awesome. :D I'm glad the GHOST in question brought up this debate, thank you all for sharing my passion.

Last edited:

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
oh i always loved the 1st gen ghost sprite! <333

I always loved the story of the Cubone's mother behind it too!
... unfortunately, my 1st encounter w/ Marowak mother was in Red without the Silph Scope and I used a Poke Doll and scared her out of existence... didn't actually see "her" in non ghost form until my 2nd run. xD

Mannn... I wish we really did get a buried alive instead though. xD

Last edited:
Back