• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeCommunity's Competitive Battling Community

Ársa

k.
Years
With the introduction of Assault Vest and Weakness Policy, bulky offense got quite a few new toys to play with even before considering pokemon like Aegislash and Goodra are also available. As for Mega Kanga, it's really only an issue if you're stupid enough to allow it to get to +2 and don't have one of a number of possible counters for it on your team. I've never been swept by a Mega Kanga, in-fact I don't think it's actually posed much of a problem at all. I just think Smogon is getting ban-happy lately.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
So something thats basically shat upon by ghosts, steels not weak to eq, has 4mss and is easy to check/revenge kill etc has now been banned..
ace-ventura-alrighty-then-GMuo4V.jpg

EDIT:

Also the best play styles are elf offense, elf defensive offense, elf stall, elf weather and elf offensive defense.

Years
Its only technically shat upon by Ghosts/Steels because of the 4mss, Crunch will own any Ghost and Fire Punch will own any Steel, as well as Trevenant and Gourgeist. It's not killing every Pokemon, but it's killing a lot of them, and scouting is obviously pretty dangerous in this regard since Return just rapes anything after a PuP.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I've had a lot of success with pure offense, especially in weather like rain (Swift Swim, aww yiss). I don't think there's an overall best playstyle, but good ol' bulky offense has usually been the most popular and well-rounded. I haven't tried semi-stall or stall yet, but I hear it's better than it was in Gen 5.

King Zelos

Blame Your Fate
Years
Username: King Zelos (You can just call me Zelos though)
Experience In Competitive Battling: None (New comer hoping to learn the ropes)
Favorite Pokemon: Snorlax
Preferred Playstyle: Sweeper And Bulky Mix
Extra: Just the new kid on the block trying to compete with all the big boys. Hoping to make a name for myself around these streets. Currently working on my first competitive team. Lets hope it's as good as I think it is. Looking forward to getting to know all of you (As well as battle :3)

My opinion on the current topic: While I have 0 experience in the competitive field, I personally think banning Mega-Kan this early in the games life-span was a bit of a rash decision. Sometimes those Pokemon we think are OP aren't really that OP. Then again I've heard there's only 1 or 2 possible counters against it, if that's truly the case then I guess it does deserve the ban hammer.

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2015
- Username: swilson14 (showdown)
- Experience in competitive battling: Played a bit of shoddy battle back in Diamond/Pearl, but mostly casual. Getting into X/Y wifi.
- Favourite Pokemon(s): Cyndaquil, Houndoom, Gyarados, Skarmory
- Preferred playstyle/core: Bulky Offense
-Extra:Dedicating a lot of time to breeding in pokemon Y atm.

Current Topic: I think the ban to Mega Kangha was reasonable, although I didn't really have a problem with it, since 90% of the time it couldn't break through my physical wall. However if the wall went down early then kangha could often sweep.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Just to change things up, what does everyone here think of the new egg moves Pokemon got with the advent of Poke Bank?

Here's the list that I can remember:
-Escavalier gained Drill Run
-Cofagrigus and Weezing gained Toxic Spikes
-Emboar gained Sucker Punch
-Klefki gained Switcheroo

And on a random note, Entei officially has Sacred Fire (Chatelaine Evelyn has one in the Battle Maison, even though a lot of people dismissed it as a cheat).

Years
Just to change things up, what does everyone here think of the new egg moves Pokemon got with the advent of Poke Bank?

Here's the list that I can remember:
-Escavalier gained Drill Run
-Cofagrigus and Weezing gained Toxic Spikes
-Emboar gained Sucker Punch
-Klefki gained Switcheroo

And on a random note, Entei officially has Sacred Fire (Chatelaine Evelyn has one in the Battle Maison, even though a lot of people dismissed it as a cheat).

I have to admit this is an interesting batch of new egg moves here, Drill Run can be kinda handy for Escavalier to deal with Fire-types since most are weak to Ground. Sucker Punch can have some good niche for Emboar because otherwise it usually struggled against Psychic-types, so nice to see it now has an increased priority option not only to hit them super-effectively but it can help it get around its low Speed as well.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Loving the T-Spikes Weezing change.

Weezing@Black Sludge
252 HP / 216 Def / 40 S.Atk
Bold Nature
Trait: Levitate
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

Beats up Lucario, Scizor, Excadrill, Landy etc and actually does something now bar being dead weight and brings some utility to a team.

Cofag could be decent with them too actually. With like <STAB move>/Wisp/T-Spikes/Pain Split. Seems hot. \o/

Last edited:

Ársa

k.
Years
Sacred Fire sends Entei straight to OU as far as I'm concerned. It finally gets a decent physical STAB, let alone one with a 50% burn rate. A bulky Sub + Rest Talk set would be interesting, spamming Sacred Fire all over the place and essentially crippling opposing physical offensive presence. And without running calcs, I'd say with decent Atk investment Sacred Fire would probably 2HKO most of the common clerics in the metagame.

Fun fun fun!

Years
Sacred Fire sends Entei straight to OU as far as I'm concerned. It finally gets a decent physical STAB, let alone one with a 50% burn rate. A bulky Sub + Rest Talk set would be interesting, spamming Sacred Fire all over the place and essentially crippling opposing physical offensive presence. And without running calcs, I'd say with decent Atk investment Sacred Fire would probably 2HKO most of the common clerics in the metagame.

Fun fun fun!

I always kept forgetting Sacred Fire was a physical move, but hey if it's gonna make Entei all that better I guess that means yeah I'm happy with it. Also, love the analysis you put into that post there.

I'm kinda happy they blessed it with a good STAB move now, even if it doesn't make Sacred Fire so "signature" anymore.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Is a priority Flame Orb Switcheroo set on Klefki too gimmicky?

I'm thinking yes. Haven't really thought about it that much but I figured to throw it out there just to hear what you guys think.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Entei's typing will probably keep it in UU. Victini has an amazing STAB move in V-create, yet it has always been just a little below in usage to be considered OU. Victini also has a much better movepool and stats (100 base SAtk > Entei's 90) than Entei, with moves such as Bolt Strike, U-turn, STAB Zen Headbutt/Psyshock/Psychic, Grass Knot, Focus Miss, etc. Entei has ExtremeSpeed and Stone Edge at least. Still, Entei will definitely give Arcanine a run for its money. Both are very similar Pokemon with their own advantages, so it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in usage.

It finally gets a decent physical STAB ...
Don't forget Flare Blitz! Flare Blitz also happens to be stronger than Sacred Fire (120 BP > 100), but that doesn't really make up for the downsides of using it over Sacred Fire.

Is a priority Flame Orb Switcheroo set on Klefki too gimmicky?

I'm thinking yes. Haven't really thought about it that much but I figured to throw it out there just to hear what you guys think.
Possibly. If only Klefki learned Psycho Shift, then that would've been fun to use...

Ársa

k.
Years
Entei's typing will probably keep it in UU. Victini has an amazing STAB move in V-create, yet it has always been just a little below in usage to be considered OU. Victini also has a much better movepool and stats (100 base SAtk > Entei's 90) than Entei, with moves such as Bolt Strike, U-turn, STAB Zen Headbutt/Psyshock/Psychic, Grass Knot, Focus Miss, etc. Entei has ExtremeSpeed and Stone Edge at least. Still, Entei will definitely give Arcanine a run for its money. Both are very similar Pokemon with their own advantages, so it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in usage.

Don't forget Flare Blitz! Flare Blitz also happens to be stronger than Sacred Fire (120 BP > 100), but that doesn't really make up for the downsides of using it over Sacred Fire.

Not sure why you're comparing base SpA between the two? Entei beats Victini on the physical side by 15 points.

Fire is a far better type this gen than in previous, as it is one of the few types to resist Fairy. Added to that the apparent trend of physical > special attackers that the metagame has shifted towards, and having a 50% burn rate on a 100 base power move coming from a base 115 Atk stat.. it hurts.

Maybe I was premature in saying 'STRAIGHT TO OU!', however it certainly outperforms Arcanine IMO.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Not sure why you're comparing base SpA between the two? Entei beats Victini on the physical side by 15 points.
Entei has to use HP Grass to hit Water-types, while Victini can use Psychic, Grass Knot, etc. coming from a higher SAtk. Anyway, my point was that if Victini, Darmanitan, Arcanine, and so on can't get into OU, I highly doubt Entei will be able to. Perhaps the Fairies will help boost their usage, but I'm not expecting much.

Maybe I was premature in saying 'STRAIGHT TO OU!', however it certainly outperforms Arcanine IMO.
Maybe so, but Arcanine does have a larger offensive presence thanks to its coverage moves (Wild Charge and Close Combat), in addition to having Intimidate to switch in more easily. Buuut Entei has the potential to last longer and is ever so slightly faster, so there's that.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
Toxic Spikes on Weezing and Cofagrigus is pretty nifty, in my opinion. I agree that it defintely gives them some increased utility.

To add a new-ish topic, how do y'all think Pokebank will change the meta, if any change at all?

Obv there will be essentially every Pokemon available to use competitively, but will current Pokemon that are seeing a lot of use right now be less favored once pokebank is hopefully released?

Will certain Pokemon post-bank see more play than they did in previous gens?

Mitapu

Lunar Trainer
Years
Question. This I'm learning isn't like most groups, where they have visitors challenge them in battles or group wars (they are like tourneys where whoever's group have more victories are the champions.) do they hold such battle groups in this community?

Years
Question. This I'm learning isn't like most groups, where they have visitors challenge them in battles or group wars (they are like tourneys where whoever's group have more victories are the champions.) do they hold such battle groups in this community?

You're talking about clans but no we don't have them here right now, maybe later ;D

Back