• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
It's easy...

Follow these steps:
1. Open your Snivy sprite in Paint
2. Fill the background with any color that doesn't match with sprite color (I think Snivy doesn't have red so you can use red)
3. Save your sprite as PNG file (I recommend Snivy.png)
4. Download IrfanView
5. Open your Snivy.png in IrfanView
6. Click Image->Decrease Color Depth...
7. Choose 16 Colors (4 BPP) and click OK
8. Click Image->Palette->Edit palette...
9. Swap the first color with the background color (so if you have first green and second red, then make the first color red and the second green)
10. Your sprite looks now strange but it's OK
11. Save your image as (I recommend) Snivy_indexed.png
12. Open your Snivy.png in Paint
13. Choose "Select all" and then "copy"
14. Then open Snivy_indexed.png in Paint
15. Now paste the previously copied sprite (Snivy.png) and then save
16. Congratulations! You have indexed a sprite!

Sorry for my english... :)

I just feel like I should add on to this a little. When I first tried indexing, MS Paint wouldn't retain the index, and it would be erased when i opened it in paint. This might be some kind of idiosyncrasy with my Paint (I'm using the one from windows 7). Anyway, if paint does the same for you, I'd try Gimp. It works nicely, and its basically the same process, but it retains the index. Just in case :)

I'm really sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't seem to find it.
I know how to use hidesprite to make a sprite disappear after a particular event, and then how to use showsprite to show them again. But what I don't get is how to have a sprite hidden in the first place (before any event is activated) and then have them appear for a particular event. So for example, I want my player character to choose their starter Pokemon, and then the rival to walk into the room to choose his. How would I do this? Do I need to use hidesprite/showsprite in a particular way, or is there a different command or what?
I'm using XSE if it helps. Thanks!

There are probably fancier ways, but this is basically what I do (I'm assuming you dont understand about flags permanently hiding sprites, but if you do, you can skip a bit)

1. Give the Rival a Person ID (by clicking on the rival in A-Map and near the bottom it says "Person ID". Make sure it's NOT the same as any other flags you might have used.
2. Place a script outside of lab that simply says "setflag 0x[RIVAL PERSON ID]"

Setting the flag makes all person IDs that match that flag disappear (clearflag makes them show up again). When you write the script for the rival popping up, just say clearflag 0x[PERSON ID], and I usually include showsprite just in case. Then, at the end, just use hidesprite and setflag 0x[PERSON ID] to make them disappear again. I would also say when you write the applymovement for the rival leaving, i would include #raw 0x60, which hides the sprite as well, just to be extra sure it hides.

Hope this helped :)

Years
I'm really sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't seem to find it.
I know how to use hidesprite to make a sprite disappear after a particular event, and then how to use showsprite to show them again. But what I don't get is how to have a sprite hidden in the first place (before any event is activated) and then have them appear for a particular event. So for example, I want my player character to choose their starter Pokemon, and then the rival to walk into the room to choose his. How would I do this? Do I need to use hidesprite/showsprite in a particular way, or is there a different command or what?
I'm using XSE if it helps. Thanks!

You need to use setflag/clearflag to keep something hidden.

So it would be something like this.

Spoiler:

Now the sprite will stay hidden until you use:
Code:
clearflag 0x200
showsprite 0x[PERSON ID]

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
BLAAAAAAAh :(

im following the steps of everyones tutorials ive watched videos...

im trying to index snivy, i used the color (light blue) in paint for the background.

as far as im aware of it all worked untill i imported it into advance sprite editor,the blue background is still there and i have the 2 ?? in front of my image of snivy....so i clearly didnt do something right...and when i push "syncronize pallete" i get a error and it says i can continue but it may not work or quit" ugh what am i doing wrong :(...

can someone just send me a pic of a indexed snivy lol im tired of messing up and not knowing what im doing wrong...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years

You need to use setflag/clearflag to keep something hidden.

So it would be something like this.

Spoiler:

Now the sprite will stay hidden until you use:
Code:
clearflag 0x200
showsprite 0x[PERSON ID]
Hidesprite and showsprite commands are piece of crap...
They can be really buggy in most cases.
It's better to use applymovment.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Alright, now I have another Fire Red generic 100% ordinary trainer that's randomly a double battle when I don't want him to be. What's worse, he only has one Pokemon, so his Pokemon gets duplicated in the double battle and what have you, with it ending once one gets KO'd.

Yes, dual battle is specifically unchecked in A-Trainer, but this is happening anyway. It's happened twice, in-fact, with two different generic trainers. Both cases are when they only have one Pokemon. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but just throwing it out there.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Does anyone know how to do a nickname script, I know it special 0x166 or something. But there is more to it.

AustinWolff

has left
Years
Help with Map and Pokescript

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
You have to change this for a green script box to work.
A-Map.png

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Spoiler:

Did you change the unknown and var number fields on the script in A-Map?

The var number needs to be 4050, and the unknown directly above it needs to be 300. In some other versions of advance map, there should be an unknown field with two blank slots to enter data into. Make the second one 3 instead of changing the unknown above var number to 4050.

I'd just post a screencap but my account is too new.

Excuse me while I edit myself out of existence for being too slow.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
In Advance- Map, I keep getting an error that says " ERROR: (ENOTAPointer)AdvanceMap Error(5): value $810A05 is not a Pointer! " (the offset shown is different everytime I see the error) can someone tell me what this means and how to fix it? :S

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
your trying to open a locked rom, what are you trying to open one the hacks here, because your not suppose to do that anyway. simple fix use a clean rom.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
In Advance- Map, I keep getting an error that says " ERROR: (ENOTAPointer)AdvanceMap Error(5): value $810A05 is not a Pointer! " (the offset shown is different everytime I see the error) can someone tell me what this means and how to fix it? :S
81 0A 05 consists of 3 bytes so it's not considered a pointer in GBA games.
Try something else like 08 01 0A 05 (if you're trying to point to $10A05).

Not sure how A-map's script box represents the pointer though.

Years
Having an issue with A-Map.

I'm trying to use the map connections but for some reason, the connections do not work in the game.
The connections appear to work in A-Map as they are the way I want them and saved, but during the game, the connection isn't there and the boarder block is in the connections place.

Is this a known issue?

I'm using A-Map V1.95 BETA.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
81 0A 05 consists of 3 bytes so it's not considered a pointer in GBA games.
Try something else like 08 01 0A 05 (if you're trying to point to $10A05).

Not sure how A-map's script box represents the pointer though.
i'm not sure i understand what a pointer is

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2012
Ruby Grass Encounter Help

Hi, my name is Rick Reid. This is my first time posting a message on PokeCommunity. I have been editing a pokemon AXVE ROM file and was wondering whether or not anyone had any idea about how I might be able to turn a certain tile into one where you can have a pokemon encounter, like the grass and surf tiles. It is a tile with an image of a piece of seaweed, intended for use in an underwater map, but I can't seem to be able to have an encounter in that map. I have an grass-type encounter set up with an encounter rate of 39% in Advance Map 1.95. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
i need some help with the world map, namely telling the game which world map to pull up. i used some of the maps from the sevii islands (firered btw) for some of the towns and routes for the main region. i got all the fly points to work fine when im in a town that was already linked to map 1 (kanto), and can fly to these towns just fine. however, when im in one of those towns or routes, it still calls up the map it used to be on (sevii island [insert here]). i need to know how to make it call up the map i need when im in these places, because it'd be a major pain for the player to have to go to the next route over or wherever in order to fly where they need to go. thanks in advance

edit: ive already looked at the world map editor and the normal header tab in advancemap, and i cant find anything that looks like what i need. ill check real quick in professional header view though..

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2011
Pokemon Soul Silver English patch problem

Well ive been trying to patch My pokemon soul silver rom With the DeltaX gui patch thing, any way when i finally get My new patched rom i try to load it onto the Desmume but as soon as i put it in nothing comes up, and whenever i put my Old japanese rom in it loads straight away, any suggestions, and dont say Get No$gba.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Okay, I'm looking for some help over here. It seems like nobody uses the Season Editor casue they don't know how. Well I implemented it [with relative success] and will post a tutorial soon but I've run into an error. First off: The seasons don't change in December. Idky. Secondly: At first everything is fine, however during the winter when I enter a menu [Bag/Trainer Card/Pokedex etc] the palettes/tiles get all screwy until I enter a house/building. Any advice?
Snow1.png

This is what I mean. The left is what it's supposed to look like, the right is what it looks like after opening a menu or engaging in a wild battle.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I have two somewhat related questions. The first is, how can I change the default names for the player? For example, when you enter a blank name, it randomly substitutes a stored name {Red, Ash, among others). Also, how do we change the four default names for the Rival. It looks like a multichoice, but I don't see it listed in the XSE list of multichoices. I know it can be done (I've seen it before), but have no idea how. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back