• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Least Favorite Part of Playing the Gen 2 Games?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
What are your least favorite parts of Gold, Silver, and Crystal?

I never liked going through the Ice Path. Especially when I would forget about Waterfall, and would have to go all the way back.

The remakes fix this, since they placed a person who won't let you pass if you forget to pick it up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
The Team Rocket base and Goldenrod takeover, clearing those is such a chore. Just endless waves of destroying fodder grunts who always seem to have pokemon that beginner trainers like Youngster Joey could catch. If you're going to be criminal scum who steals pokemon, at least steal some stronger pokemon to back you up. It seems like the rocket admins are incompetent and lazy in training their grunts, they seem to favor quantity over quality.

I think the beginning where we're Elm's errand boy is a chore as well but that's what happens when you play GSC over a hundred times.

Years
TRAINING. And the level curve.

I'm sure everyone know how much of a slog training is in Johto. Like doing a Nuzlocke is easy until something dies and then you train for hours. And how low level wild Pokémon are and they're hardly worth using. It just sucks.

Years
Whitney and her miltank, oh god is so hard but not so much, switching pokémon makes it easy.
Also i remember going into the ice path and it was really, REALLY frustrating at going into the exit and throwing the rocks, because of the ice floor, OMG it was really the most frustrating part when i was playing pokémon g/s/c in an emulator back in the days and trying to finish it.

Last edited:
Years
Yeah gotta agree the movesets really suck and the levelling/curve in general. Have literally just finished Silver and my Pokemon were only like Level 38-40 when I reached the Elite Four, which then means you have to grind for ages to win without any scares. I guess that's the point when you're facing the best trainers in the world but still.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
In the brief time I spent playing Gold years ago, I remember the grinding being a real pain in the arse lol. Grinding on Yellow can be an issue but Gold it was much more severe due to Wild Pokemon not keeping pace. Granted my memory on this game can be iffy since it has been over 15 years lol.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
the level curve is annoying, the goldenrod tower and rocket base was a chore but the worst part for me was locking out some new pokemon (some good ones too) till Kanto

no houndoom, no misdreavus, no murkrow. heck no sneasel in g/s (crystal got him added to the ice path, i guess since otherwise he was in MT SILVER!)

you cant just lock out some of your best new pokemon till the 2nd half of the game, or in sneasel's g/s case, right at the end of the game.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
The Level curve is bad, because it means that by the time you get to Kanto, you don't want to catch new Pokemon since it will be a chore just to level them up.

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I can no longer enjoy vanilla Gen II because of the level curve. The only way to train is Tentacruel (if you can find enough of them) and you barely even need to train in the first place. It's mostly a labor of love.

Thankfully you get a lot of experience from trainers... in the most boring segment of the entire game; Rocket Hideout and the Radio Tower. I basically lose my taste for the game after passing Goldenrod, and, it took me over a decade to actually play Kanto in Crystal after having already done it once in Silver. Kanto is the worst. The least interesting thing ever. And I like Gen I/III Kanto =w=

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
There were still useless moves, like Roar, which still was almost entirely useless in actual battle.

And generally the max levels of enemies are waaaay too low. The rival's final team is I think level 41. That is pathetic.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
It seems like I have to go out of my way to find Gen 2 Pokemon. The swarm exclusives, the trade items I can't get until the post game, the somewhat low encounter rates for others, and my personal least favorite: new Pokemon only in Kanto. (never understood the logic behind that) I guess my only other small gripe has to be the terrible balancing this game has if you choose Chikorita. I mean really, a direct type disadvantage at 6 of the 8 gyms?! (technically 5 since Pryce's Pokemon have secondary types weak to grass but still)

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 15, 2019
I am playing through Crystal now and really don't like the fact that some Gen 2 Pokemon are only available in Kanto (I had planned to catch either Slugma or Houndour for my fire type, only to realize that they don't exist in Johto). That along with the fact that most of the gyms use primarily Gen 1 Pokemon make me think that the idea of differing generations didn't really exist until Gen 3. It seems that the design philosophy in Gen 2 was to add to the previous games and not to be a completely separate experience.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
GF was lazy with the Team Rocket segment, they really messed that up judging from many agreeing that it was not fun. They just copy and pasted Grunts everywhere.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Spr_GS_Whitney.png
Spr_2c_241.png

I HATE ROLLOUT.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The level curve is a big issue that I dread every time I play, however, I enjoy level grinding, so it's not a huge issue. Still annoying, but I just work around it. As for plot points I'm not big on, I actually don't enjoy Kanto. It's so watered down and it goes by so quickly, I don't even really care to play it most of the time when I replay GSC. I usually just stop after the E4, unless I really happen to like my team and want to continue forward with them.

Back