• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buying a Gameboy?

DmitritheDitto

Ditto Fanclub
Years
So I made a deadly mistake and sold my 3DS to make up cash for an Xbox One,but it turns out I can never be a console gamer lol.The large screen on my TV really puts a strain on my eyes and I can't really fit an Xbox in my pocket nor play Pokémon...So I got an idea to sell my Xbox One which is really inevitable and buy a Gameboy with some Pokémon(the older gens are my fav)
I'm probably going to buy a Gameboy Advance and put some decals on it with Pokémon themed colors?
I'm gonna pick up
Silver,Gold,Ruby,Sapphire,Emerald.I dont really like Gen 1 that much...Unpopular opinion I know :)
I've never seen a gameboy in my country and barely any Nintendo DS,so I'm gonna order it in from amazon.
I plan to work my way up from Gameboy-Nintendo DS-3DS-Switch
But if you all have any other ideas please enlighten me:3

PS:I'm probably gonna pick up Zelda and Mario because it's two of my fav franchises behind Pokémon:)

Years
Some personal advice: don't worry about HeartGold/SoulSilver. when you eventually move up to the 4th gen DS games. Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum are more than sufficent enough to give you a taste of what 4th Gen has to offer. The reason why I'm saying this is because HGSS is really expensive due to how rare it is. I'm not sure about your country, but here in the US, depending on where you shop, it can be about the same price as a full-priced console game which is insane (around $60 or so). Shopping online would be your best bet if you really wanted to go that route, but only barely. And you MIGHT get lucky with a low price that isn't a fake.

Other than that, I hope you have fun playing your way up! I barely have the old games myself anymore which is a shame because it's nice owning a physical copy of an old generation game. I think the only ones that I have are Pokemon Red, Silver, and I think LeafGreen and Platinum. That's just about it.

Last edited:

DmitritheDitto

Ditto Fanclub
Years
Thanks!I was just checking prices on amazon for HG/SS and they're ridiculous!It's gonna be more than 60 US because I have to pay for custom fees but it will be nice to own it....eventually haha.But I'm planning on buying Diamond,Pearl and Platnium then skipping HG/SS until I collect all the games.Ive never owned any physical copy before Gen 4 So it'll be nice to play it.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
As for your future GBA purchase, if you can get your hands on a backwards-compatible DS you may want to consider that instead, unless you plan on link trades/battles on your GBA titles. With the DS, not only will you be able to play the GBA titles (probably with brighter lighting), but also able to transfer those Pokemon onto the DS games.

And once you obtain a 3DS, assuming that's in your future plans, you can transfer those Pokemon from the DS games onto the 3DS games via Poke Transporter.

DmitritheDitto

Ditto Fanclub
Years
As for your future GBA purchase, if you can get your hands on a backwards-compatible DS you may want to consider that instead, unless you plan on link trades/battles on your GBA titles. With the DS, not only will you be able to play the GBA titles (probably with brighter lighting), but also able to transfer those Pokemon onto the DS games.

And once you obtain a 3DS, assuming that's in your future plans, you can transfer those Pokemon from the DS games onto the 3DS games via Poke Transporter.

That's also one of my options,it'll pay off in the long run.I might end up doing that.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
It's pretty hard to find a GBA online that is guaranteed to not be a bootleg, so good luck if you are going that route. I would also recommend picking up a DS light instead, as the backwards compatibility will a save you a decent amount of money. Though if you want to play silver and gold you do need a GBA or older iirc.

Colours has a really good point on cost for HGSS, but if you don't want to deal with batteries or buying a GBA, it might be worth taking the hit on picking up one of those remakes. Also, getting Platinum over Diamond or Pearl is highly recommended. It fixed the ungodly save times and has more content.

Good luck!

Back