• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Zodiac Challenge

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
The Zodiac Challenge!

Yeah the name kind of tells you what this challenge is about but let me explain further.

d399ceda2120452d80463134.jpg

First off let me explain that this is not my idea. I am posting it cause my friend doesn't have an account yet. Don't worry I asked and got permission to post it from them. Anyways all credit for this challenge goes to my friend who's username on another site is Mon_i_qua!

So for this challenge your team is decided by your date of birth AND your Chinese Zodiac animal and this is how:

1st Mon: Your first Pokemon is decided by your Zodiac animal. (The image above shows the years of each Zodiac look there to find yours.) So if you have say Rat as your Zodiac then your first Pokemon can be any rat or mouse related Pokemon in the game you are playing. Like for example Rattata. (P.S. If you were born before January 21st then your Zodiac is the one before the year you were born. Chinese new year is the 21st)
2nd Mon: Take the day you were born and multiply it by the generation of the game then look it up in the regional dex.
3rd Mon: Take the month you were born add it to the last two digits of the year you were born and look in the dex.
4th Mon: Take the last two digits of the year you were born and catch the first Pokemon you see on the route corresponding to it. (In instances where the region does not have a route with that number you may round up or down to the closest one. For example if I were to do Sinnoh I would have to find route 01 but Sinnoh doesn't have route 01 instead I will have to round up to the closest one which I believe was 201. Note the first encounter doesn't count until you get your first Pokéballs like in a Nuzlocke.)
5th Mon: Take the day you were born and the month, add them together and multiply by the gen of the game and look in the regional dex. (In instances where this number exceeds the number of Pokémon in the Pokédex you may divide by the generation number.)
6th mon: Take the last two digits of the year you were born and multiply it by the gen. (Note if you get a number greater than the region dex then divide instead of multiplying if you get a fraction then just add everything.)

(I tested it out with my birth date and Zodiac for black 2 and got Hydreigon, Krokorock, Servine, Route 1 Pokemon, Trubbish (WHYYYYY), Pignite (so I get 2 starters))

Rule 1: If one or more of the Pokémon you get can't be captured in game after you defeat the first gym unless all of them cannot be acquired before the first gym you may hack or trade in that Pokemon but it must be legal and the same level as the lowest level in your team.
Rule 2: If the first Pokemon you find on the route corresponding to the last two digits of your birth year faints then you will go through the rest of the game with five Pokémon.

Optional rules:
1: Nuzlock rules (good luck to those who do this) if it faints it is boxed or released and you can't get another of that Pokemon.
2: Ultimate mode: Play all 7 gens (hard mode hacks are allowed.)
3: Asian nicknames! Your Pokemon must have Asian nicknames cause this is a Chinese Zodiac challenge.
4: Pick your team using someone else's birth date and Chinese Zodiac animal!
5: Anything else you might want to do.

Here is a list of all the Pokémon use able for each Zodiac (if anyone thinks I am missing some send me a vm or pm cause I don't know anything about the Gen 7 Pokémon):
Dragon:
Spoiler:

Snake:
Spoiler:

Horse:
Spoiler:

Goat:
Spoiler:

Monkey:
Spoiler:

Rooster:
Spoiler:

Dog:
Spoiler:

Pig:
Spoiler:

Rat:
Spoiler:

Ox:
Spoiler:

Tiger:
Spoiler:

Rabbit:
Spoiler:

Forum Username: Leòmhann teine
Character name: Caelan
Game(s): Emerald
Ultimate(yes/no): No
Optional rules: I have to use Asian themed nicknames.
Zodiac: Dragon
Team:
Flygon
flygon.png

Nosepass (I have never used a rock type in game before.)
nosepass.png

Grovile (*I'm so excited* starts playing.)
grovile.png

Route 101 Pokémon

Tentacool (Not happy about this. Tentacool is worse than Zubat!)
tentacool.png

Sceptile (Well then...)
sceptile.png

(note you do not have to do the images)

Challengers:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers:
Spoiler:

Champions:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions:
Spoiler:

Send a vm or pm if you need help or have a question!

(First try at CSS code!)

Also if anyone has any ideas on what kind of Pokemon should be in which category(s) please tell me in PM/VM cause this is not as easy as it looks matching each Pokemon to all of the Zodiacs.

Last edited:
Years
It looks very similar to Date of Birth challenge, but gives you different options. I would like to participate but I have 2 questions:
1. How does one born in 19xx and 2000 (1996 here) treat 4th mon when there is no Route 0, nor Route with number that high?
2. What should I do with numbers exceeding Regional pokedex? I assume I should halve it?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
It looks very similar to Date of Birth challenge, but gives you different options. I would like to participate but I have 2 questions:
1. How does one born in 19xx and 2000 (1996 here) treat 4th mon when there is no Route 0, nor Route with number that high?
2. What should I do with numbers exceeding Regional pokedex? I assume I should halve it?

Answer 1: If it has a 0 at the end and there is no route 0 (which there never is lol) then you round up to route 10 or the next highest route that has a 0 at the end.
Answer 2: To be honest I didn't think you could get one exceeding regional dex but if you do then yes you halve it. (If you could please send me a PM or VM with an example where this happens so I can see if I could fix it at some point in the future please?)

Years
Forum username: Kostucha
Game(s): Sapphire
Optional rules: None
Zodiac: Rat
Team:
1st Pokemon: Sandslash
2nd Pokemon: Slakoth (will evolve)
3rd Pokemon: Muk
4th Pokemon: Route 106
5th Pokemon: Mawile
6th Pokemon: Starmie

LexAnarchy

Lunacy at its finest.
Years
Sounds fun, let's do this!

Forum username: LexAnarchy
Game(s): HeartGold
Optional rules: none
Zodiac sign: A freaking rat.

Pokes that I need to catch:

1) Sentret
161F.gif

2) Spinarak
spinarak.gif

3) Sunflora
192M.gif

4) Route 48 Pokemon
5) Bellsprout
giphy.gif

6) Kingdra
kingdra.gif

And I'm not going to evolve any of those, otherwise it would be sort of cheating.

My current team:

spinarak.gif
Phobia, lvl 36
giphy.gif
Honeypenny, lvl 34
161F.gif
Frodo, lvl 32
192M.gif
WickedLeaf, lvl 34
022F.gif
Swoopster, lvl 34
krabby.gif
Krabby (HM Slave), lvl 10

Current location: Dragon's Den
Badges: 8

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 15, 2023
Forum username: DarkChibimon
Game(s): Leaf Green
Optional rules: none
Zodiac: Monkey
Team:
Mankey
Bellsprout
Kingler
Route 9 pokemon
Shellder
Omanyte

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
If my zodiac animal isn't available in a particular generation, am I not allowed to do this challenge on that game? I was interested in trying this out on the RBY re-releases, but none of the gen I Pokemon qualify as my zodiac animal (goat).

EpicJackman

Ace Attorney
Years
Forum username: EpicJackman
Game(s): SoulSilver
Optional rules: Will evolve Cleffa if that is okay
Zodiac: Dragon
Team:

1. Kingdra
230.gif

2. Sunflora
192.gif

3. Butterfree
12.gif

4. Whatever I find on Route 10

5. Magneton
82.gif

6. Cleffa
173.gif

Years
Username: LRachelR5
Game: Emerald
Ultimate?: No
Optional rules: Will evolve any NFEs
Team: Miltank, Kirlia, Grimer, Route 101 (no route 97), Vigoroth, Shuppet

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Forum username: Disturb Not The Harmony
Game(s): Red
Optional rules: can evolve Pokemon
Zodiac: Monkey
Team:
Mankey/Primeape :t057:
Arbok :t024:
Kingler :t099:
The first Pokemon on the nonexistent "Route 92"
Nidoqueen :t031:
Gastly (will evolve) :t092:

--

Update #1: Up to S.S. Anne
Spoiler:

Update #2: From the S.S. Anne to Indigo Plateau
Spoiler:

Update #3: Elite Four
Spoiler:

Final team:
Spoiler:

Fun challenge! Thanks for sharing it!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Thank you! It's an ingenious challenge that was fun to make work!

If I do any of the following teams, I'm going to allow evolution, obviously.

Johto:
Spoiler:

Hoenn:
Spoiler:

I don't have the DS games available right now, so I stop at GBA generation. Both teams seem pretty original, though! (And Johto flees in terror from Water-types... {XD}) If I have the time for these, this will continue to be a fun challenge!

Years
Forum username: AoTora
Game(s): Yellow
Optional rules: None
Zodiac: Dog
Team: Arcanine, Ivysaur/Venusaur, Hitmonlee, No route 94 in kanto, Kakuna/Beedrill, Gengar

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Username: Xander729
Game: Red
Team:

Arbok
Nidoqueen
Blastoise
Route 1
Clefable
Venusaur (I have to starters so I'm going to have to choose and I pick to toss Venusaur)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Xander's Pokemon Challenges

Pokemon Red Zodiac Challenge

- I selected Squirtle as my starter an finished the intro, my route 1 encounter was a pidgey so I get a flying type, I got a nidoran female on route 22 and headed through the forest, once I reached Pewter City I grinder everyone up to level 10 and next time I will fight Brock

My Badges: 0/8

My Team:

Squirtle Lv. 10 (Tackle, Tail Whip, Bubble)
Pidgey Lv.10 (Gust, Sand Attack)
Nidoran F Lv. 10 (Tackle, Growl, Scratch

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
Username: Xander729
Game: Red
Team:

Arbok
Nidoqueen
Blastoise
Route 1
Clefable
Venusaur (I have to starters so I'm going to have to choose and I pick to toss Venusaur)

Please specify the Zodiac you are playing with. And I would like to ask everyone else to please post their updates in new posts. I don't go looking through your original post updates so I miss anyone that says they completed the challenge or reached a specific point not to mention it makes time go by and if the most recent post ends up being 30+ days old this challenge will be locked and discarded.

[Edit] I will post an update on my game soon!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
If my zodiac animal isn't available in a particular generation, am I not allowed to do this challenge on that game? I was interested in trying this out on the RBY re-releases, but none of the gen I Pokemon qualify as my zodiac animal (goat).

No you can still do the challenge. Just with only 5 Pok?mon (4 if you miss your route Pok?mon).

Working on my challenge. But it'll be a while before I post an update cause I'm playing with my Emerald version on my GBA (yes I still have one) and I'm doing soft resets till I get a shiny Treeko. I don't have any way to cheat in a second Treeko though so I will be stuck with out one. Unless I either get a Ditto by the time I reach the daycare or the shiny Treeko ends up being a girl. No matter what my challenge will take a while. I hope to see some updates from other people on their challenges and to get feedback. I really wanna revive this challenge cause it's a lot of fun and a friend of mine created it so I want others to enjoy it.

Last edited:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
Forum Username: L'Belle
Game(s): Heartgold
Optional rules: No
Zodiac: Snake
Team: Arbok, Furret, Noctowl, Johto Route 29, Weedle/Beedrill, Bayleef/Meganium

Back