• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NM to Become First State to Require Students Apply to College

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think that some of you are getting too hung up on the "OMG THEY'RE FORCING PEOPLE TO GO TO COLLEGE" bit.....which isn't even what the bill is doing. Unless the article Vragon found is lying or is misinformed, it says that:
While students would not be required to attend college, Gentry thinks requiring them to fill out applications will make them more likely to do so.
And like was said already, other post-high school plans are being accepted too. It just might be easy to miss that because it mentions college far more than anything else.

I don't really think that this bill will do much of anything really. Go to college/join the military/get a job/land an internship or apprenticeship are what most people do right after high school anyway, and high schools already put plenty of pressure on students to apply to college. All it's doing is just officially tacking this on as a graduation requirement. Nevermind that it obviously does little to fix the problems with our current education system. But despite it probably not being useful, it's not this absolutely horrendous thing either.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Whether I'm forced to go to school, join the military, get a job, etc required to graduate, it's still against my will. Lots would love to go to college and or get a trade/certificate but most can't afford even that so they're stuck with shit jobs, which now they got bills therefore they don't have time nor money to attend a college. Lots don't want to join the military for many reasons, I for one don't believe in war therefore I'd never enlist in the military. I don't agree with America's reasoning for war, besides veterans get treated poorly. Lots of high schoolers are working a part time job while in school, some save up for college others get a resume going. But what good is a resume if you aren't qualified for a job that requires schooling, even if you were to have the experience? It's a vicious cycle. As I stated there's many job that shouldn't require schooling. Like medical, I believe schooling is necessary for it. What they need to do, is quit making a school a requirement for employment. that would actually benefit society more than forcing something against our will. Especially if I seek to better my life and have a better chance at success. College and medical bills are the 2 main reasons why Americans are in debt.

OR give high school students the opportunity to learn a trade while in high school. I know some schools do this. It actually prepares them for a job when they graduate.

Last edited:
Years
I think that some of you are getting too hung up on the "OMG THEY'RE FORCING PEOPLE TO GO TO COLLEGE" bit.....which isn't even what the bill is doing. Unless the article Vragon found is lying or is misinformed, it says that:

While students would not be required to attend college, Gentry thinks requiring them to fill out applications will make them more likely to do so.

And like was said already, other post-high school plans are being accepted too. It just might be easy to miss that because it mentions college far more than anything else.

I don't really think that this bill will do much of anything really. Go to college/join the military/get a job/land an internship or apprenticeship are what most people do right after high school anyway, and high schools already put plenty of pressure on students to apply to college. All it's doing is just officially tacking this on as a graduation requirement. Nevermind that it obviously does little to fix the problems with our current education system. But despite it probably not being useful, it's not this absolutely horrendous thing either.
I still don't support the bill since it adds a unnecessary requirement just to graduate. They should be finding other ways to encourage students to graduate. Forcing students to even apply is not the right answer, even if they don't have to follow through with going.

@Vragon- What I posted was a word for word copy from yahoo, and it seems that they left out some major details that was in the article you posted. I was basing my comments on the yahoo article, so thanks on posting a better article on this matter.

Vragon

I still don't support the bill since it adds a unnecessary requirement just to graduate. They should be finding other ways to encourage students to graduate. Forcing students to even apply is not the right answer, even if they don't have to follow through with going.

@Vragon- What I posted was a word for word copy from yahoo, and it seems that they left out some major details that was in the article you posted. I was basing my comments on the yahoo article, so thanks on posting a better article on this matter.

You welcome, I was kinda confused about where the article was and why there wasn't a link. I'm glad though I could find one (that I hope is legit) so that could help things.

S-MAN

Banned
Years
What do you guys think would be considered a respectable solution to the problems currently present? Or do you think there's too little room for improvement at this point with everything else put in perspective and that we need to get away from the system, declare ourselves autonomous to the state and resolve ourselves of their scam-taxes and other shenanigans and essentially "start over"? Sounds like the issue of expensive education is just a result of the policies surrounding how people can benefit economically here. Government cannot necessarily tell these colleges: "You're charging them too much money" in this country because that would go against what they're all about? Do you think the government has any authority or power over these types of money schemes or could it just be inherently impossible for them to do so given our laws/constitution?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
I honestly don't support this at all, students shouldn't be forced to apply for college just to graduate high school. Not all students wants to go to college or have the means to pay for college. To me that shows blatant disrespect telling students to do this against their will.
In my opinion, this is a perfect example of why governments are illegitimate: no one has the right to force another against his or her will, and calling it "law" doesn't change that.

Back